Calmag Deficiency, but what to do...

• Thread starter VinnieV
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
VinnieV

VinnieV

Hey folks!

I believe I’ve identified my deficiency trough other posts in the infirmary - however!, what would you do in this situation:

Calmag deficiency but what to do 3
Calmag deficiency but what to do
Calmag deficiency but what to do 2
If you noticed a Cal/Mag deficiency (affecting 10% of gals) and also noticed a few of your girls (40%) were showing signs of being overwatered...

Would you feed again with calmag added to your reservoir as soon as, or would you wait until they perked up a bit after the overwatering?

Info: recirculating system, flood and drain to reservoir
EC is 1.2
Ph flood 5.4
Ph after returning to res 5.5
CO2 - 800ppm
Nutes so far - formulex + h202 + superthrive, all at half recommended dosage
Aiming to flip to flower next week.

Oh using Mapito as you can see in picas below 😅

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Hey folks!

I believe I’ve identified my deficiency trough other posts in the infirmary - however!, what would you do in this situation:

View attachment 875862View attachment 875860View attachment 875861If you noticed a Cal/Mag deficiency (affecting 10% of gals) and also noticed a few of your girls (40%) were showing signs of being overwatered...

Would you feed again with calmag added to your reservoir as soon as, or would you wait until they perked up a bit after the overwatering?

Info: recirculating system, flood and drain to reservoir
EC is 1.2
Ph flood 5.4
Ph after returning to res 5.5
CO2 - 800ppm
Nutes so far - formulex + h202 + superthrive, all at half recommended dosage
Aiming to flip to flower next week.

Oh using Mapito as you can see in picas below 😅
I'm not a hydro guy although I was in the last century, but I suspect you're locking out cal because your pH is too low, not only the obvious necrosis but the general overall look and color of your plants suggest this to me, but maybe you could check it out with some current Hydro guys I'm sure they could help you more than me, good luck

VinnieV

VinnieV

I'm not a hydro guy although I was in the last century, but I suspect you're locking out cal because your pH is too low, not only the obvious necrosis but the general overall look and color of your plants suggest this to me, but maybe you could check it out with some current Hydro guys I'm sure they could help you more than me, good luck
Thanks for the insight!
This is actually only my third hydro grow, but I believe I had a similar problem at one point in one of the previous too... I wouldn’t have considered lockout at that PPM, Thanks!

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Thanks for the insight!
This is actually only my third hydro grow, but I believe I had a similar problem at one point in one of the previous too... I wouldn’t have considered lockout at that PPM, Thanks!
What is your medium? Try 5.8 pH, see if it greens up? And a Cal/Mag spray for the leaves might help too

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Thanks Beachwalker, I‘lol grab some PH up and find a good calmag foliar feed 🤙🏼
in soil i would add a very little ironite,in hydro i dont think you can go wrong with a epsome salt foiler to help um along,feed um from the leaves while your gear gets in order,1tbsp to a gallon ,i use horticulture epsome salt,more magnease in it than what you buy at the local pill shop haah also has a bit of sulfur in it

VinnieV

VinnieV

in soil i would add a very little ironite,in hydro i dont think you can go wrong with a epsome salt foiler to help um along,feed um from the leaves while your gear gets in order,1tbsp to a gallon ,i use horticulture epsome salt,more magnease in it than what you buy at the local pill shop haah also has a bit of sulfur in it
Thanks oldskol - I read more about this and see if I can pick some up from my local hydro shop! Not really dove into epsom salt before but I’m keen to find a solution!

stonestacker

stonestacker

I run drip to wast
I shoot for a PH of 6.0 my rang is 5.8 -6.2. A higher pH makes the calcium more readily available to the plant. You will not fix the damage to those leaves. So watch for signs on nee leaves. I run High Cal Mag up to week 4 of flour. And then start cutting it back because it makes the weed taste harsh.

VinnieV

VinnieV

I run drip to wast
I shoot for a PH of 6.0 my rang is 5.8 -6.2. A higher pH makes the calcium more readily available to the plant. You will not fix the damage to those leaves. So watch for signs on nee leaves. I run High Cal Mag up to week 4 of flour. And then start cutting it back because it makes the weed taste harsh.
Thanks stonestacker, I’ll try running my ph slightly higher - around about the 5.8 mark, I previously aimed to maintain 5.5 but going off of everyone’s advice it seems I may have been on the low side.

Would you recommend stripping damaged leaves since they’re mainly lower, or leave them if hey retain some function?

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Thanks for the link! The only stuff I can find is ‘pharmaceutical grade’ which I don’t want to assume is the same but I’ll check the packaging’s data sheet and compare! :)
this is what mine says
magnesium oxide[as MgO]
magnesium as mag -9.8%
sulfur as SO3- 32.4%
sulfur as S-13%
1.5 tbsp per ten gallons
i use 1 tps per gallon

stonestacker

stonestacker

I use pharmaceutical Epsom salts in my mix . You can use baking soda for a ph up. I would raise ph to 6.0

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

i used it,2days and plants love it,i started a 33 gal thrash can hydro setup outside in triple digits right beside the house,threw up a little wire behind it and got 1 cucumber plant going in it,no air no pump just a can full of the epsome salt,8-16-36,soluble calcium nitrate,damn thing is doing good,really interested to see how long the can goes without getting fungus from heat,so far roots have come threw the tube and starting to enjoy all it can eat,if the shit works ,i just found and new way to grow my melons hahaahh

VinnieV

VinnieV

I use pharmaceutical Epsom salts in my mix . You can use baking soda for a ph up. I would raise ph to 6.0
Would you raise slightly higher to encourage a faster uptake of these nutrients considering the deficiencies, or is this typically what you aim for?

VinnieV

VinnieV

i used it,2days and plants love it,i started a 33 gal thrash can hydro setup outside in triple digits right beside the house,threw up a little wire behind it and got 1 cucumber plant going in it,no air no pump just a can full of the epsome salt,8-16-36,soluble calcium nitrate,damn thing is doing good,really interested to see how long the can goes without getting fungus from heat,so far roots have come threw the tube and starting to enjoy all it can eat,if the shit works ,i just found and new way to grow my melons hahaahh
I’d read a diary on that hahaha

Latest posts

Top Bottom