CalMag difficiency, or light too strong?

• Thread starter savagemonk
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
savagemonk

savagemonk

Organic grow. The only source of CalMag has been through compost tea with molasses and there is some glacial rock dust in the soil.

Some leaf stalks becoming slightly red/purple.

On the next transplant will be adding gypsum and dolomitic limestone (in a week). Adding compost tea today (with double molasses than usual and some glacial rock dust) to see if it helps the following symptoms:

What do you think is going wrong? I don’t pH my compost tea as the microbes are supposed to take care of that. Regular water I pH to 6.5.

Ive raised the kind led light twice to reduce the intensity. Could the discolored leaf be from light bleaching?

Calmag difficiency or light too strong
Calmag difficiency or light too strong 2
Calmag difficiency or light too strong 3
Calmag difficiency or light too strong 4
Calmag difficiency or light too strong 5
mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

I've never actually seen that pattern on leaves before, so I don't know what it is. But I notice it's on lower leaves, which makes me doubt it has anything to do with light intensity.

Homesteader

Homesteader

Are you sure you don't have thrips? I would scope those lower leaves and look for movement. I would highly recommend getting some gypsum and a magnesium source if you aren't using compost. Compost will have mag but not much calcium. You need calcium. Plants consume a lot of it.

Homesteader

Homesteader

I thought you were in soil. Disregard the gypsum and get cal mag

savagemonk

savagemonk

I thought you were in soil. Disregard the gypsum and get cal mag
I have a half inch top dressing of expanded clay pebbles for decor, protection of microbes from the light, reduction of evaporation.
Underneath that I’m using 2-3 parts peat to 1 part compost with some amendments that didn’t have enough calmag.

savagemonk

savagemonk

Are you sure you don't have thrips? I would scope those lower leaves and look for movement. I would highly recommend getting some gypsum and a magnesium source if you aren't using compost. Compost will have mag but not much calcium. You need calcium. Plants consume a lot of it.
I checked and didn’t notice thrips. I just watered her with compost tea that had 6 tablespoon molasses to 4 gallons water. If that doesn’t help next watering I will try synthetic CalMag.
I don’t want to break my organic grow but I have heard claims from a commercial grow of synergy from using both organic and synthetic nutrients.

Homesteader

Homesteader

Use gypsum for calcium if it is soil. Works excellent and a better option for you. No more molasses though. Seems unnecessary and you may throw off your nutrients

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

I checked and didn’t notice thrips. I just watered her with compost tea that had 6 tablespoon molasses to 4 gallons water. If that doesn’t help next watering I will try synthetic CalMag.
I don’t want to break my organic grow but I have heard claims from a commercial grow of synergy from using both organic and synthetic nutrients.
I am quite sure that isn't thrips.

I'm no expert on pests, but I've become an expert at recognizing thrip damage, unfortunately.

Top Bottom