can a seedling have spider mites ?

• Thread starter biggerbud420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
biggerbud420

biggerbud420

can a 3 or 4 day old seedling have spider mites? when my lights came on and opened up my tent on 1 of my pots i saw 1 red bug that looked like it jumped up on the pot rim it was real small im surprised i saw it i did kill it i am growing in pro mix moisture control with perlite

mancorn

mancorn

Doesn’t matter the age of the plant, mites are everywhere outdoors so yes it could be on a young plant. That said I doubt if it’s “jumping” or moving quick that it’s a bad mite.

I have lots of these little red guys running around my yard. They’re super fast. I’m not sure what they are, but never seen them grazing on plants. (This is a shot glass size Dixie cup.)

biggerbud420

biggerbud420

it looked something like that maybe a lil smaller you sure thats not a tick lol

mancorn

mancorn

it looked something like that maybe a lil smaller you sure thats not a tick lol
It’s way smaller then a tick, I was totally zoomed in. It’s smaller then an ant head. (Those are male pollen sacks at the bottom of the cup.) When I squish them they leave a little red spot. I think they’re concrete mites (https://bygl.osu.edu/node/1588) as I primarily see them on my brick patio. But I’ve seen a bunch of sites confuse concrete mites (which eat other mites) with glover mites (which eat plants).

I have seen larger red mites on my plants, intermixed with 2 spotted mites. I’m not sure if it’s just a different stage of the 2 spotted but they look like this. These are a lot bigger than the little bug in the video and much slower.

D2E54027 717F 42BC AA57 13B3E2DCEC94

Wh1teScorp1on

Wh1teScorp1on

Spider mites live dormant everywhere, even in your house. You brought the take out now they showed up to party. Get some neem oil, dr doom or pure crop 1. The last being the best and most expensive. If you can’t afford the good stuff the dr doom is next best

sfniners84

sfniners84

It’s way smaller then a tick, I was totally zoomed in. It’s smaller then an ant head. (Those are male pollen sacks at the bottom of the cup.) When I squish them they leave a little red spot. I think they’re concrete mites (https://bygl.osu.edu/node/1588) as I primarily see them on my brick patio. But I’ve seen a bunch of sites confuse concrete mites (which eat other mites) with glover mites (which eat plants).

I have seen larger red mites on my plants, intermixed with 2 spotted mites. I’m not sure if it’s just a different stage of the 2 spotted but they look like this. These are a lot bigger than the little bug in the video and much slower.

View attachment 1117733
Whats that pic taken with a regular camera

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
i got neem oil my seedling are only 2 or 3 days old i do not want to burn them with the oil
Wash them off.as best you can and do it daily. Isolate and keep in a sterile environment. Use a hand sprayer with something covering the soil so as not to saturate the soil with water daily. 1 in a few days = 33 x 33 x33 and so on daily if you're not on top of this. Water knocks them off but not the eggs so you need to keep at it until no more eggs or bugs crawling. Small plants are easier than big ones to get rid of them on but if they're crawling on your babies you've got some troubles to deal with. Kill them all, their grandma's grandpa's mommies daddies their children and there eggs. 😀

mancorn

mancorn

Whats that pic taken with a regular camera
The video was taken with an iPad (digital zoom) so not great. The CU picture of the red mite isn’t mine, just pulled from online. I suspect the red mite pictured is the adult female two spotted, and the male is the clearer body with distinctive black spots (as when I’ve had an infection, I see both).

I’m not sure what the little red guy in my video is. I see then all over the yard, patio, outside on the house, and occasional inside. I’d bet it is some sort of mite, but it doesn’t go after plants. And unlike the two-spotted which you see grazing on the bottom of the leaves, these little guys are zooming around like crazy.

Top Bottom