Can Air Pumps be Replaced and Other Cool Ideas to Amp Up your Hydro Grow

• Thread starter PhatNuggz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Been growing hydroponically for about 8 years now, and tried HPA, LPA, Drip, F & D. There are things about each that I like and things that I think can be improved, and have experimented in that pursuit. One thing they all had/have in common is air pump/stones in the rezes. This means CO2 is being sucked in causing pH to rise on a daily basis. My quest includes eliminating air pumps that run 24/7 as well as increasing DO.

To that end, I bought a O2Grow 2020 3 grows ago, but ran into self inflected wounds that prevented me from trying it. Even if it works, IMHO, I think the rez should be circulated periodically as well. I made several DIY set ups but was over complicating it attempting to incorporate a waterfall above the water line. Recently, it occurred to me there is a better simpler way. And so, I developed a method that I can use in SWC as well as any other size rez. Pics in my next post as this photo upload system only provides for 5 photos

My grow space has heat issues, notably open beam ceilings which are fine in the 'winter' but it's hot and humid here 8+ months a year: my grow space is a hot house due to the radiant heat. Running AC is an option, but mine is at least 28 years old and very inefficient adding >$200 a month to my non ac month bills! It's been in the mid 80s all 'winter', with a couple cool days here and there.

I first started out using organic nutes, but the heat made them a bad idea. I tred a variety of nutes, including Emerald Harvest full line, but have gone back to the simplicity and excellent results using Hydroponic Research V + B. One important benefit is that until bloom additives are incorporated (which are dark), the rezes are crystal clear, making it easy to see what's what.

First the problems with each from my experience;

HPA can be amazing but only when the ambient temps are maintained below ~ 80*s. When I first started apparently it was cooler months, and it worked well until flower, then crashed. The ambient heat caused the RH inside the root chamber to jump killing the very delicate root hairs. When the parameters were good, the roots were amazing, looking like big balls of cotton candy.

Drip Next I tried top feed drip using Air Pots, but instead of soil mix, I used lava rock and Hydro Halo drip rings. The ring hole kept clogging, so I drilled them out, but they still clogged. Turned out algae was building up inside the rings, which required regular cleaning. Im guessing the nutrient solution was not completely draining after each feeding, and that combined with the room heat caused the algae. It wasn't the LED light which was well above the rings. Issues aside, I had excellent results with this (see images)

Flood & Drain I then tried F & D, but fought mosquitoes throughout that grow. Since mosquitoes easily find their way into my house and seek out standing water, I had to put lids on the plant totes as well as the rez, but they were already established. The mosquito larvae was entrenched in the plant totes. One benefit of the lids is less evaporation. Issues aside, I had excellent results with this (see images)

(to be continued)
Deep Water Culture/Shallow Water Culture

Low Pressure using large GPH pump + HPA Mist heads

SPDR 600.JPG
ReVeg.JPG
IMG_2416.JPG
IMG_3714.JPG
001.JPG
IMG_4840.JPG

Can air pumps be replaced and other cool ideas to amp up your hydro grow 7
Can air pumps be replaced and other cool ideas to amp up your hydro grow 8
Last edited:
AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
Been growing hydroponically for about 8 years now, and tried HPA, LPA, Drip, F & D. There are things about each that I like and things that I think can be improved, and have experimented in that pursuit. One thing they all had/have in common is air pump/stones in the rezes. This means CO2 is being sucked in causing pH to rise on a daily basis. My quest includes eliminating air pumps that run 24/7 as well as increasing DO.

To that end, I bought a O2Grow 2020 3 grows ago, but ran into self inflected wounds that prevented me from trying it. Even if it works, IMHO, I think the rez should be circulated periodically as well. I made several DIY set ups but was over complicating it attempting to incorporate a waterfall above the water line. Recently, it occurred to me there is a better simpler way. And so, I developed a method that I can use in SWC as well as any other size rez. Pics in my next post as this photo upload system only provides for 5 photos

My grow space has heat issues, notably open beam ceilings which are fine in the 'winter' but it's hot and humid here 8+ months a year: my grow space is a hot house due to the radiant heat. Running AC is an option, but mine is at least 28 years old and very inefficient adding >$200 a month to my non ac month bills! It's been in the mid 80s all 'winter', with a couple cool days here and there.

I first started out using organic nutes, but the heat made them a bad idea. I tred a variety of nutes, including Emerald Harvest full line, but have gone back to the simplicity and excellent results using Hydroponic Research V + B. One important benefit is that until bloom additives are incorporated (which are dark), the rezes are crystal clear, making it easy to see what's what.

First the problems with each from my experience;

HPA can be amazing but only when the ambient temps are maintained below ~ 80*s. When I first started apparently it was cooler months, and it worked well until flower, then crashed. The ambient heat caused the RH inside the root chamber to jump killing the very delicate root hairs. When the parameters were good, the roots were amazing, looking like big balls of cotton candy.

Drip Next I tried top feed drip using Air Pots, but instead of soil mix, I used lava rock and Hydro Halo drip rings. The ring hole kept clogging, so I drilled them out, but they still clogged. Turned out algae was building up inside the rings, which required regular cleaning. Im guessing the nutrient solution was not completely draining after each feeding, and that combined with the room heat caused the algae. It wasn't the LED light which was well above the rings. Issues aside, I had excellent results with this (see images)

Flood & Drain I then tried F & D, but fought mosquitoes throughout that grow. Since mosquitoes easily find their way into my house and seek out standing water, I had to put lids on the plant totes as well as the rez, but they were already established. The mosquito larvae was entrenched in the plant totes. One benefit of the lids is less evaporation. Issues aside, I had excellent results with this (see images)

(to be continued)
Deep Water Culture/Shallow Water Culture

Low Pressure using large GPH pump + HPA Mist heads

View attachment 925221View attachment 925225View attachment 925226View attachment 925227View attachment 925232View attachment 925234

Nice recovery on the RR dude! Way to ride that mule. Congrats.

You know i am going to be watching this thread right? lol 😁

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

It occurred to me that I need to start adding bloom boosters. I still have enough Emerald Harvest Bloom A & B, so I mixed some and added it to my rez, but will switch to it in a couple weeks

She's stopped stretching at 33" but man the bud sites are everywhere😍

I took 4 clones about a week ago, staggered 2 then a couple days later, 2 more. The first 2 have lots of roots; the other 2 one has some roots.

I was also gifted 10 Hindu Kush seeds. Looks like I can finally get back to Perpetual , that is at least until late May when it gets too damn hot here. My electric bill is $200+ more during summer, and it's just not worth it

New pic of her + clone roots

IMG 4844
IMG 4845
IMG 4846 2

Last edited:
PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Fog Ponics

While this holds great promise, there are 2 main issues

Heat- it functions by vibrating a disc ultrasonically, which quickly becomes hot. If left on too long it heats the nutrient solution beyond temps the roots can tolerate, and so must be used with a deep cycle timer

PPM/EC every unit I bought, the ceramic discs all burned up pretty fast, so I bought extra discs. In researching why the discs burned up so fast, it turns out that the discs cannot handle more than ~ 150 ppm. This is plenty good for seedlings and clones, but not for a full grow. I may try this again, now that I understand the parameters within which it could work well. Quite possibly a better alternative to bubble ponics, althouh as can be seen (picture in previous post) a simple air stone and cool water < 150ppm works really well

Nugg

Nugg

All I read was something about air pumps pumping in your environment air? Right...I set up a main intake line and suck from outside..I have 5 110l pumps.fwiw.

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
All I read was something about air pumps pumping in your environment air? Right...I set up a main intake line and suck from outside..I have 5 110l pumps.fwiw.

Same here I keep my air pumps outside of my grow area and have no issues with pH or added co2. I supplement co2 so I figured I didn't want it pumping straight into the reservoirs 😄

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter

My air pump (3500 gph) sits in the garage on the other side of the wall from the grow room in a filtered, noise dampening and fan-vented enclosure. Keeping it is the same room will add to your heat issues. 🍻

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

SO: without thinking, when I added the EH Bloom nutes I dumped them directly onto the root ball. The next day most of the smallest leafs that are closest to the main stalk (as well as branches) were curled under and dark. DOH!

What I should have done was run the circulate timer while slowly adding the concentrate. Damage is minimal, but still, it sure didn't help

I moved the clones into a similar DIY tote with 2/4 air stones: the other 2 are in with the 2 flowering plants. Once theclones all have decent root growth, I will need to move them to another tent so I can increase the amount of day light hours

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

High Volume Low Pressure Pump with HPA mist heads

As can be seen in the attached photos, this has great potential, but as I mentioned, I got RR with it as well. Would not have happened with clones

The reason was similar to my first attempt with the platonic solids soda bottle: Depending on how you want to look at it, either I was using too big of a pump, OR, too shallow of a tote. As can be seen the spray was higher than the sides of the tote without the lid. With the lid, the spray was splashing onto the lid and soaking the starter cubes= RR

If you look closely, you can see some of the roots beginning to turn light brown

hth

IMG 4231
IMG 4213
IMG 4213
IMG 4220
IMG 4231
PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Adding one gallon of fresh EH nutes; Ca-Mg + Bloom A/B + Emerald Goddess+ King Kola + DM Silica + Zone

I have a new photo editor since updating to Windows 10. still figuring it out, but here's today's pics

IMG 4848
IMG 4849 2
Top Bottom