Can anyone give me some advice on odor control? I don’t grow but neighbors do

• Thread starter Zilla777
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Z

Zilla777

I live in a state where recreational growing is legal. My neighbors grow. I don’t have an issue with them growing. My issue is when they’re drying out. The smell gets into the vents and into my house. I have a carbon filter in my furnace.
I’ve spoken to 2 grow store to get some advice. And they’ve told me conflicting things. I thought maybe I could install(I have people willing) a carbon filter on my HVAC unit like the ones that are installed in grow houses to help. One told me no, to install a house ozone generator. Another said no to the generator and yes to the carbon filter. And the internet was no help.
My neighbors are not the friendly types, so I’m afraid to talk to them about the situation. I didn’t know what to do, so I figured a website for people who grow would be a good place to start. I understand that because I’m not a grower, I may be asked to deactivate my account. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you!

BudBogart

BudBogart

I live in a state where recreational growing is legal. My neighbors grow. I don’t have an issue with them growing. My issue is when they’re drying out. The smell gets into the vents and into my house. I have a carbon filter in my furnace.
I’ve spoken to 2 grow store to get some advice. And they’ve told me conflicting things. I thought maybe I could install(I have people willing) a carbon filter on my HVAC unit like the ones that are installed in grow houses to help. One told me no, to install a house ozone generator. Another said no to the generator and yes to the carbon filter. And the internet was no help.
My neighbors are not the friendly types, so I’m afraid to talk to them about the situation. I didn’t know what to do, so I figured a website for people who grow would be a good place to start. I understand that because I’m not a grower, I may be asked to deactivate my account. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you!

I’m no expert, but doesn’t an air conditioner recirculate air from inside the house? Your heating and air vents should be sealed vents or you would lose heat and or cold air when blowing. I wonder if the smell from their dry process isn’t entering your home via windows, vents, permeating up from under the house, etc., and only then being recirculated through the vents? Do they grow indoors or out? If they grow outdoors they will only be drying about 10 days a year.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

unfriendly or not,you live there and pay bills too,walk over tell them the smell is offending you and get something done,they wont to bow up on you let them know just because state is legal in gov eyes it is not,if they have any type brain they will dislike you ,who the fuck cares why would you go spend your money for some idiot that has no care for others around them they get it fixed i guarntee it

Animal Chin

Animal Chin

Supporter
An ozone generator would be used on an outgoing exhaust. You dont want to push ozone into your home where you, family, and pets live. Ideally the ozone would be best used by the neighbor in their outgoing ventilation so the stink is neutralized inside the duct before it releases to the outside air.

Same pretty much goes for the carbon, best used on the neighbors outgoing exhaust but if your HVAC is pulling in stinky air like mine will do bbq smoke in my backyard, a carbon filter screen in your duct could work.
A carbon filter could also be set up and used as an air scrubber where it's just a filter connected to an inline fan, no duct, and it simply sits in a room scrubbing the air. That's actually what I use in my drying space and it's quite effective.

If at all possible, maybe extend an olive branch to the neighbors and give them a carbon scrubber to use in the drying space and let them know you dont care what they do but you just dont want the smell in your home and dont want the attention that aroma can bring as in somebody smelling it and robbing that home or yours if they think it's coming from your home. Any reasonable grower should understand this dilemma and accommodate your requests and concerns

Z

Zilla777

I’m no expert, but doesn’t an air conditioner recirculate air from inside the house? Your heating and air vents should be sealed vents or you would lose heat and or cold air when blowing. I wonder if the smell from their dry process isn’t entering your home via windows, vents, permeating up from under the house, etc., and only then being recirculated through the vents? Do they grow indoors or out? If they grow outdoors they will only be drying about 10 days a year.
[/
That’s a good point. I work for a heating and cooling company and they are trying to help!
I sealed my windows for the winter and they’re due again. I have my window proofing coming from Amazon today and I will be resealing them within the next couple of days. I live on a crawl an am suppose to vent my crawl doors, but I can’t. I’m having a crawl company come out next week to see if I’m having any issues.
As far as I can tell they grow inside. But I think for the winter they may try growing outside as, they put a medium-large size storage shed in their back yard. I only smell only comes from my vents when the AC is on as well.

Z

Zilla777

An ozone generator would be used on an outgoing exhaust. You dont want to push ozone into your home where you, family, and pets live. Ideally the ozone would be best used by the neighbor in their outgoing ventilation so the stink is neutralized inside the duct before it releases to the outside air.

Same pretty much goes for the carbon, best used on the neighbors outgoing exhaust but if your HVAC is pulling in stinky air like mine will do bbq smoke in my backyard, a carbon filter screen in your duct could work.
A carbon filter could also be set up and used as an air scrubber where it's just a filter connected to an inline fan, no duct, and it simply sits in a room scrubbing the air. That's actually what I use in my drying space and it's quite effective.

If at all possible, maybe extend an olive branch to the neighbors and give them a carbon scrubber to use in the drying space and let them know you dont care what they do but you just dont want the smell in your home and dont want the attention that aroma can bring as in somebody smelling it and robbing that home or yours if they think it's coming from your home. Any reasonable grower should understand this dilemma and accommodate your requests and concerns

Thank you! I may have too have a talk with them.

Z

Zilla777

Where do I get a carbon screen??

Z

Zilla777

unfriendly or not,you live there and pay bills too,walk over tell them the smell is offending you and get something done,they wont to bow up on you let them know just because state is legal in gov eyes it is not,if they have any type brain they will dislike you ,who the fuck cares why would you go spend your money for some idiot that has no care for others around them they get it fixed i guarntee it
I may have too! I live alone and don’t want problems from them. But I may have no choice.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

If they're not friendly and you don't talk with them how do you know it's only when they hang to dry bud that it smells? How do you know when they're hanging and drying bud? Unless there's more to it it doesn't seem to make sense to me

godmother

godmother

First of all as a grower I think that we need more neighbors like you..we work very hard to have a successful grow just like a regular farmer so you are a appreciated neighbor because most of the people out there wouldn't take the time to reach out so thank you...but as for your neighbors I understand that you think they are not the friendly type but most growers stick to thereselves so I would suggest speaking directly to them and let them know the smell is too much for you and trust me they will appreciate your input as we get used to the smell and don't realize when it's got to strong and we appreciate knowing it's strong because we try to keep the smell down due to theives so they will happily take your comments trust me..u are a life savor to them..hope I helped...

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

You have a right to peace and enjoyment if you rent an apt, if your neighbors cureing bothers you you have every right to inform your landlord, you pay rent and this is a nuisance, in mass, vt, nh, & Maine it's legal to grow 6 plants, but since the federal government considers cannabis a class 1 substance all you have to do is inform your landlord and he must address the situation, have you tried talking to your neighbors? They may not even know there is a problem, did you talk to your landlord? He may not know there is a grow in his building, baring all that as long as you pay your rent your entitled to peace and enjoyment if all else fails you can take your landlord to court, force him or her not to grow indoors, and oh your neighbors will hate you and all that, my advice is sit down with your neighbor (don't worry stoners are usually mellow) and simply explain you dont give a shit if he grows or smokes it's the curing that's the trouble, you will be surprised what a little communication can accomplish, if he is a dick talk to your landlord, if he refuses to act take him to housing court they will force him to shut it down, and again you will be hated, try talking calmly and rationality since cannabis is legal they can cure elswhere.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

You have a right to peace and enjoyment if you rent an apt, if your neighbors cureing bothers you you have every right to inform your landlord, you pay rent and this is a nuisance, in mass, vt, nh, & Maine it's legal to grow 6 plants, but since the federal government considers cannabis a class 1 substance all you have to do is inform your landlord and he must address the situation, have you tried talking to your neighbors? They may not even know there is a problem, did you talk to your landlord? He may not know there is a grow in his building, baring all that as long as you pay your rent your entitled to peace and enjoyment if all else fails you can take your landlord to court, force him or her not to grow indoors, and oh your neighbors will hate you and all that, my advice is sit down with your neighbor (don't worry stoners are usually mellow) and simply explain you dont give a shit if he grows or smokes it's the curing that's the trouble, you will be surprised what a little communication can accomplish, if he is a dick talk to your landlord, if he refuses to act take him to housing court they will force him to shut it down, and again you will be hated, try talking calmly and rationality since cannabis is legal they can cure elswhere.
Not sure becoming a snitch is great advice. Still curious how OP knows this is an issue only when their cureing? How does he/she know what's going on to that level of specificity? doesn't seem logical.

Last edited:
Top Bottom