Can anyone help me with my large room set up? 3.6 x 4.8m WAY TOO HOT

• Thread starter Geoffy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Geoffy

Geoffy

Hi guys i've been a lurker for some time and I've tried to find out what's best to do but the answers are usually specific to the environment so hoped if I shared my situation I may get some better help.

It's an indoor grow 4.8m x 3.6m

I currently have 12 600W HPS bulbs with reflectors and I cant get more than 9 of the lights on before the temp starts shooting up to 34-36 celsius, with 12 on its way too hot

Ive got an isomax 200 on full blast (approx 2100m3/h) extracting
Ive got 2 inline fans at the opposite end of the room pushing in (750m3/hr) of the coldest air going.
I also have a couple circulation fans inside the room

I want to be able to have all 12 bulbs on as it fills the space perfectly.

The options I appear to have are to either invest in some air cooling reflector hoods, or to cut down the number of lights and supplement them with some LEDS

The former looks the cheaper option, the latter double, maybe triple that.

What are people's thought on using LED'S on a room this size, will it make a difference, if so which ones to get?

I saw some by Mars that have a coverage of 2x4 feet so could do a layout of:

HPS HPS HPS
LED LED. LED
HPS HPS HPS
LED LED. LED
HPS HPS HPS

I have no idea which LEDs are best suited for me or if I'm guaranteed to bring the temps down.

I also have no idea if I'm best just having the 3 extra HPS and hoping the cooling hoods bring the temps down enough to run all 12.

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated.

There are currently 32 plants in the room in 39gallon planters full of coco and they'll soon need to be spread out to occupy the remainder of the room.

Thanks in advance.

machiaveli

machiaveli

put an double split air con to the room and you can use all your lights and the plant will not suffer heat one more day

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

So 6 quality LED around 650w will replace those and give much high ppfd with much less cooling needed. Gavita 1700e, or hlg scorpion diablo are about top as it gets at the moment but many options out there.

This is a rough idea. The heat produced is hugely different

Screenshot 20210225 231425 Samsung Internet
Screenshot 20210225 232027 Samsung Internet
Geoffy

Geoffy

So 6 quality LED around 650w will replace those and give much high ppfd with much less cooling needed. Gavita 1700e, or hlg scorpion diablo are about top as it gets at the moment but many options out there.

This is a rough idea. The heat produced is hugely different

Wow, so i'm guessing from this one of these lights you've suggested is just as good (if not better?) than 2 600W HPS lights? I've heard LED doesn't have as good penetration but I'm going to try and do a scrog if I can get something set up so maybe I need to take the plunge and fork out the 10k for these lights.

Appreciate your reply.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Wow, so i'm guessing from this one of these lights you've suggested is just as good (if not better?) than 2 600W HPS lights? I've heard LED doesn't have as good penetration but I'm going to try and do a scrog if I can get something set up so maybe I need to take the plunge and fork out the 10k for these lights.

Appreciate your reply.
There are more budget options but I won't comment on them... lots of LED info out there.

Geoffy

Geoffy

There are more budget options but I won't comment on them... lots of LED info out there.

Appreciate that. If I buy inferior lights would it still be only 6 650W LEDs id need and to just expect a potentially smaller yield, or would I need more LEDs than 6?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Appreciate that. If I buy inferior lights would it still be only 6 650W LEDs id need and to just expect a potentially smaller yield, or would I need more LEDs than 6?
Most will all be fairly close but the gavita and the scorpion are designed to flower a 5x5. Which pretty much is perfect for you tent. 10x15 roughly.

Johngr

Johngr

Hi guys i've been a lurker for some time and I've tried to find out what's best to do but the answers are usually specific to the environment so hoped if I shared my situation I may get some better help.

It's an indoor grow 4.8m x 3.6m

I currently have 12 600W HPS bulbs with reflectors and I cant get more than 9 of the lights on before the temp starts shooting up to 34-36 celsius, with 12 on its way too hot

Ive got an isomax 200 on full blast (approx 2100m3/h) extracting
Ive got 2 inline fans at the opposite end of the room pushing in (750m3/hr) of the coldest air going.
I also have a couple circulation fans inside the room

I want to be able to have all 12 bulbs on as it fills the space perfectly.

The options I appear to have are to either invest in some air cooling reflector hoods, or to cut down the number of lights and supplement them with some LEDS

The former looks the cheaper option, the latter double, maybe triple that.

What are people's thought on using LED'S on a room this size, will it make a difference, if so which ones to get?

I saw some by Mars that have a coverage of 2x4 feet so could do a layout of:

HPS HPS HPS
LED LED. LED
HPS HPS HPS
LED LED. LED
HPS HPS HPS

I have no idea which LEDs are best suited for me or if I'm guaranteed to bring the temps down.

I also have no idea if I'm best just having the 3 extra HPS and hoping the cooling hoods bring the temps down enough to run all 12.

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated.

There are currently 32 plants in the room in 39gallon planters full of coco and they'll soon need to be spread out to occupy the remainder of the room.

Thanks in advance.
im running 26 plants under 2 gavita 1700 and I’m legit more worried about keeping room warm enough I actually have to put a heater outside my room where I have the outside end on intake fan to make sure I’m not blowing cold air into room and letting temps get to low, but for cheap if you don’t want to spend the 7k on new light set up just do a simple icebox or mayne try and put more exhaust ducting by your hoods and if you can put lights as high as possible so your heat is far aaay from plants

Geoffy

Geoffy

I'm now considering a hybrid set up. Buti need further advice.

My plan is to only use 3/4 of the room and only run 9 of my HPS lights.

Then as my plants grow and they are needing to be spread out that's when they will be due to be put on a 12/12 for flowering.

SO if that's what I'm doing would it make sense to supplement my 600HPS with exclusively RED LED's for flowering?

Grapefruitroop

Grapefruitroop

I've heard LED doesn't have as good penetration but I'm going to try
Thats absolutely not true, led's have much bigger penetration...
maybe that was true years ago regarding the blurple led
If you can, ditch completely the hps, they are just too outdated and not efficient AT ALL, nowadays you can grow a jungle with just few kilowatts...you will save a lot of money!!!
Also consider a sealed room instead
You will say goodbye to all the heat problems with just a small 1ton minisplit
💚

Geoffy

Geoffy

I've bit the bullet and bought 9x Kingbrite IP65 Waterproof 320W 3000K LM301H + Cree 660nm

Room will be used predominantly for flower so went for the 3000K over the 3500K.

I will be using a hybrid set up with 600W HPS bulbs. I may buy more LED and make a full switch when I can afford to buy more kit.

LED LED. LED
HPS HPS HPS
LED LED. LED
HPS HPS HPS
LED LED. LED

Something like that I suppose...

Thanks to all those who advised and Aquaman for advising Cree is likely worth the little extra.

Any further input going forward or any suggestions on light positioning are more than welcome.

Thanks

Grapefruitroop

Grapefruitroop

Be aware that with those two type of light sources the methabolism of the plants will be different.
The LED row will consume nutrients much faster, expecially Mg, N and Ca too
The temperature "Comfort zone" of the plants will be different depending if they are sitting under the led or the hps...
Plus keep in mind that also the distance of the canopy from lights its different...and that the led grown plants like a little bit hotter and wetter...
I wish u best of luck!!!!

Geoffy

Geoffy

I'll maybe keep one half of the room HPS and one half LED then and see which ones do best if its a bad idea trying to have a mix.

Does anyone have any suggestions of how I'm best utilise these lights and the HPS I've got in this 3.6 x 4.8M room?

Onemorecast

Onemorecast

I've bit the bullet and bought 9x Kingbrite IP65 Waterproof 320W 3000K LM301H + Cree 660nm

Room will be used predominantly for flower so went for the 3000K over the 3500K.

I will be using a hybrid set up with 600W HPS bulbs. I may buy more LED and make a full switch when I can afford to buy more kit.

LED LED. LED
HPS HPS HPS
LED LED. LED
HPS HPS HPS
LED LED. LED

Something like that I suppose...

Thanks to all those who advised and Aquaman for advising Cree is likely worth the little extra.

Any further input going forward or any suggestions on light positioning are more than welcome.

Thanks
Aquaman know what is talking about with the led. The Hlg are a serious light. I have a 600r v2 in a 4x4 36" away and my plants can't handle it turned up more then 3/4 of the way the light is just too intense. As for penetration they seems to have no Issues getting into my canopy at that height down about a foot or so into it at 3/4 power. Are you running an a/c?

Geoffy

Geoffy

I have 2 inline fans both providing about 750m3 cool air each. And an isomax extractor pulling out 2100m3.

I'd love to install an a/c but it would make too much noise and we don't use them much in the UK, if I had the unit outside it would be suspicious. I don't know much about air conditioners.

Onemorecast

Onemorecast

I have 2 inline fans both providing about 750m3 cool air each. And an isomax extractor pulling out 2100m3.

I'd love to install an a/c but it would make too much noise and we don't use them much in the UK, if I had the unit outside it would be suspicious. I don't know much about air conditioners.

Hmm maybe air cool the bulbs? I'm not a fan of that as I think it changes the spectrum of hps in my experience. But it may be a good way to solve your issue. Get an air-cooled hood for each lamp and have them all duct together pulling air through them all then right outside. Should bring the temps down for sure and would be your cheapest option compared to buying all new lights Imo.

Top Bottom