Can defoliation cause a plant to hermie?

• Thread starter GalaxysEdge
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
GalaxysEdge

GalaxysEdge

I went downna rabbit hole this morning and was researching defoliation techniques etc...

I've done probably like 3 small defoliations. Handful of leaves trimmed each time. This took place once before flower and twice in flower. I am only 7 days into flower.

Anyway, I am going to lay off the defoliation probably until the end to avoid stressing the plants. My question is, does defoliation cause plants to hermie?

I have 2 identified females (out of a total of 4 plants). The other 2 were males and I tossed them.

I am paranoid something would happen to cause these plants to hermie.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I went downna rabbit hole this morning and was researching defoliation techniques etc...

I've done probably like 3 small defoliations. Handful of leaves trimmed each time. This took place once before flower and twice in flower. I am only 7 days into flower.

Anyway, I am going to lay off the defoliation probably until the end to avoid stressing the plants. My question is, does defoliation cause plants to hermie?

I have 2 identified females (out of a total of 4 plants). The other 2 were males and I tossed them.

I am paranoid something would happen to cause these plants to hermie.
Stress in general can but I wouldn't be concerned unless running something that has been shown to be prone to herming.

GalaxysEdge

GalaxysEdge

Stress in general can but I wouldn't be concerned unless running something that has been shown to be prone to herming.
Makes sense.

Do you generally know how one would find out if the strain has a tendency to hermie? Seeds i got came from seedsman and the descriptions don't tend to mention it.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Makes sense.

Do you generally know how one would find out if the strain has a tendency to hermie? Seeds i got came from seedsman and the descriptions don't tend to mention it.
Can Google the breeder, strain name and toss the word herm after. If it's been prone there will be a lot of bitching by ppl if not prob a few.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

I don't think I've ever caused a plant to hermie by removing leaves, but I think I did it by removing growing points.

During one bag seed grow, many years ago, I had too many plants, so decided to torture one of them by removing the tip of every branch, and a few on the lower axils. She must have decided she was being eaten by something or other, and better get her genes out in the world, before it was too late.

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
just my opinion... if the seed came from a breeder, it is one thing, but if it is bag seed, or seed that came from some accidental pollination, then that is a whole different thing.

good genetics would be fine more times than not.

if it came from a bag seed then it has hermie in its heritage. so you know the tendency is there to hermie, all you dont know is how small a level of stress it takes.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

just my opinion... if the seed came from a breeder, it is one thing, but if it is bag seed, or seed that came from some accidental pollination, then that is a whole different thing.

good genetics would be fine more times than not.

if it came from a bag seed then it has hermie in its heritage. so you know the tendency is there to hermie, all you dont know is how small a level of stress it takes.
Yeah they should be but a few exceptions of even some pretty popular strains like gg4 and ecsd

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
are you defoliating in flower? you might want to stay away from that till you know what upsets your strain. how early/late in flower?

if not in flower, not so much worrisome.

GalaxysEdge

GalaxysEdge

are you defoliating in flower? you might want to stay away from that till you know what upsets your strain. how early/late in flower?

if not in flower, not so much worrisome.
I am only 7 days into flower. I just trimmed a bit today then did some googling om the topic of defoliation which got me paranoid.

Definitely will be the last time I trim i think

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
just for me, not real science here, but mine tend to be easier to piss off the longer they are in flower. sort of like a pregnant lady... toward the end lots of things might get her hackles up, in the beginning she might be forgiving... this time.

Top Bottom