Can good bud develop mold in bags even if the humidity is low?

• Thread starter callmemrtibs
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
callmemrtibs

callmemrtibs

Hey guys, kind of have a long winded post semi related to growing, but also just bud in general. Thank you for reading if you do.

Basically started my hand at the hobby almost a year ago with a basic small tent and a 150w light. Had a fan and some AC ducting blowing air out. It was my first time trying an indoor grow after several outdoors attempts that got swamped with bud rot late in the flowering.

So after a few harvests with no signs of bud rot.. I thought I was all in the clear, at least in terms of growing "clean" bud.

Fast forward to recently.. harvesting some nice looking strawberry lemonade plants. again, no signs of bud rot.. nugs look great and healthy (30% amber trichs under scope). But i happened to be trimming at night, and there wasn't much light in the room expect my headlamp. And as I was holding a nug, the light from my headlight just happened to be focused right above the nug.. and I squeezed it. I wasn't looking for anything, it happened totally by accident.. but I noticed a creepy, smoke looking wisp of spore dust float out of the top of the nug. I think "WTF?" because it immediately knew it looked very sketch. Squeezed a few more nugs with the light aimed above them.. and more creepy spore dust floating straight up above the bud.

I know something is very wrong and look it up. First thing that comes up is "White Powdery Mildew". But I never noticed any powder or dust on the leaves of the plant.. the plants and buds all looked very healthy expect for purple leaves.. which I now know means a phosphorus deficiency? Anyway, I'm sure there are many things I did wrong as a noob, obviously starting with poor air quality. Threw all of that crap in the compost.

But just a few questions.

If there is no sign of bud rot or mold, but the only sign of a problem is this wispy, spore dust when squeezed.. does that almost certainly mean it was WPM? Or are there numerous other molds or problems that can cause the wispy dust? (obviously I know the buds are garbage either way once you see that wisp).

Now here for a semi related segue... regarding purchased bud. I just do this as a hobby, I still have a main dude who I get nice, high quality bud from. I had picked up 2 z's of a few diff strains in late November.. and had stored them each in their own zip lock bag, inside another zip lock back with some boveda 62% RH packs in the outer bag. I would open and air out the bags every week or so. So after this recent "smokey wisp dust" debacle.. I was paranoid as shit and decided, to check out my purchased bud and give them each a squeeze test.

And to my terrifying dismay... 2/4 of the strains did the SAME creepy ass wispy dust rising shit... I was really shook because I had been smoking that shit this whole time. It always looked and tasted really good.. and I always broke the nugs open with a flashlight and they always looked great inside (back from my old outdoor brown bud rot paranoid days I would always break all nugs open with a flashlight and inspect the inside.. but I started doing those inspections before I knew about the wispy spore dust shit and never before looked for that).

My plan is to go back to my dude and test light/squeeze test some new shit when I'm there. But just a few questions regarding this bought weed having has that same wispy, mold dust -

1- Do you think it's just coincidental that I noticed this in totally different bud after a grow in an adjacent room had developed the same problem?

2- Or do you think the exhaust from the moldy shit weed I was growing shot spores all in the house and some got into the bag of purchased weed?

3- Is it possible for some spores to land in a bag of totally good bud and make them all develop that spore/wispy shit even in a low humidity room? (I would imagine that if spores landed in the bag, they could only "infect" the rest of the nugs if the humidity was high?)

4- Do you think it's unrelated to the grow, and just from poor storage? But again, only 2 of the strains had it.

5- Or was it most likely moldy when it was sold to me, probably the most realistic? The dude prob doesn't even know about this.. shit I've been smoking for years and never noticed this. But I have no idea.. I'm freaking out and hope someone could possibly shed some light.

6- And finally- if you put totally clean, mold free bud in a zip lock bag in a room with a RH well below 50%.. would it be possible for mold to develop within the bag and buds if the the RH is below 50%?

Thank you so much for reading, sorry I know it's long one.

Last edited:
TripsRabbit

TripsRabbit

Sorry couldn't read it all, yes mold can land in a bag and grow but not likely. More likely that it was growing on it before it went in jars and just wasn't noticed or hadn't grown/spread enough to be seen.
Are you sure it isn't just thc?
You got pics?

Oldguy71

Oldguy71

Maybe shoot some of the dusty stuff onto a piece of moist bread or something like that to make sure it is mold? Idk

gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter
Maybe shoot some of the dusty stuff onto a piece of moist bread or something like that to make sure it is mold? Idk
There are mold spores all through the air. They just grow when the conditions are right. That's why mushroom growers need to be so careful.

Latest posts

Top Bottom