Can harvesting early produce unwanted effects?

• Thread starter Lynch_Ironside
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Lynch_Ironside

Lynch_Ironside

So the other week my buddy stopped by and I packed one up for us. We smoked and minutes later he starts with this anxiety attack. This guy is usually pretty chilled out laid back and relaxed but he was clearly having some issue. Now I'm used to anxiety, as much as one can be I guess, but i start realizing my heart is pounding too. I'm thinking maybe it's like a contact high but with anxiety, maybe his reaction is making me freak out a bit on a subconscious level. So I feed him a half a xanax, and ate the other half myself. This is a prescription from my dr. Not really a fan of pills but sometimes they are a godsend.
So fast forward a couple weeks and my buddy and I smoke again, packed up one of those big cones, I'm sure you know the type. So we smoke that, he splits almost immediately after we smoke, come to find out it was another anxiety attack. At the same time heart racing again, sharp pains in the chest and all that for me.
Now at this point I still havent put 2 and 2 together but later we get to talking about the events that have transpired and he mentioned "maybe it's the weed bro" so I start thinking to myself and replaying the past couple of months and how much anxiety I've had recently, I usually only go through the prescription every 3 months or so sometimes longer. My rate of consumption had nearly doubled. So why? How could my beloved Mary Jane do this to me after so many years? Oh and btw just to be sure it was the reefer I did my own set of tests to see if there was any validity to his theory. I'd have to say there was, now that I knew what I was looking for it was easily noticed.
As a "control" I went to a different vendor and picked up a sample, it was great. No issues what so ever.
I waited for a nice calm morning with nothing going on, smoked a couple of hits and waited... Boom racing heart chest pain (for me this is how anxiety presents I can stifle the mental side of it)

So I start sifting through the ether of the internet to try and figure out how this happens. I'm of the opinion it has to do with the maturity of trichomes. Before I came to this conclusion and after the panic and anxiety I tore a bud apart and threw it under the microscope. I would say 80 to 90 percent clear trichomes some cloudy ones peppered in here and there but that's it. Now by this point I had already smoked most of the ounce i had but haven't smoked any more of that weed since.

I got the bud from a buddy of mine who grows and has been doing so since the mid 80s I think. And I've got decent flower from him before just not this time.

So the question is can harvesting early produce unwanted effects ie anxiety paranoia racing heart etc.?
Or
Might this be bad genetics?
@Aqua Man @beluga @AnselAdams @Badchoice @Milson what do you guys think?
Any articles you could recommend that would shed light on my theories?

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
So the other week my buddy stopped by and I packed one up for us. We smoked and minutes later he starts with this anxiety attack. This guy is usually pretty chilled out laid back and relaxed but he was clearly having some issue. Now I'm used to anxiety, as much as one can be I guess, but i start realizing my heart is pounding too. I'm thinking maybe it's like a contact high but with anxiety, maybe his reaction is making me freak out a bit on a subconscious level. So I feed him a half a xanax, and ate the other half myself. This is a prescription from my dr. Not really a fan of pills but sometimes they are a godsend.
So fast forward a couple weeks and my buddy and I smoke again, packed up one of those big cones, I'm sure you know the type. So we smoke that, he splits almost immediately after we smoke, come to find out it was another anxiety attack. At the same time heart racing again, sharp pains in the chest and all that for me.
Now at this point I still havent put 2 and 2 together but later we get to talking about the events that have transpired and he mentioned "maybe it's the weed bro" so I start thinking to myself and replaying the past couple of months and how much anxiety I've had recently, I usually only go through the prescription every 3 months or so sometimes longer. My rate of consumption had nearly doubled. So why? How could my beloved Mary Jane do this to me after so many years? Oh and btw just to be sure it was the reefer I did my own set of tests to see if there was any validity to his theory. I'd have to say there was, now that I knew what I was looking for it was easily noticed.
As a "control" I went to a different vendor and picked up a sample, it was great. No issues what so ever.
I waited for a nice calm morning with nothing going on, smoked a couple of hits and waited... Boom racing heart chest pain (for me this is how anxiety presents I can stifle the mental side of it)

So I start sifting through the ether of the internet to try and figure out how this happens. I'm of the opinion it has to do with the maturity of trichomes. Before I came to this conclusion and after the panic and anxiety I tore a bud apart and threw it under the microscope. I would say 80 to 90 percent clear trichomes some cloudy ones peppered in here and there but that's it. Now by this point I had already smoked most of the ounce i had but haven't smoked any more of that weed since.

I got the bud from a buddy of mine who grows and has been doing so since the mid 80s I think. And I've got decent flower from him before just not this time.

So the question is can harvesting early produce unwanted effects ie anxiety paranoia racing heart etc.?
Or
Your theory absolutely makes sense to me and is something I myself have experienced. I have seen it places but I am trying to place where. DJ Short touched in it briefly.

There are definitely strains where if you purposely harvest them early they are super duper racy.

Madmax

Madmax

Or
Thats exactly what it does bro.i use to get the same decades ago and the wise old friends i knew told me to grow my own and harvest when 75% hairs brown or use loupe to get 20-25% amber..no more racy anxiety shit.but still a couple strains have still done it to me lol and cracked a whitey 😂 friends were like your turning into a pussy max ha...some strain will affect you more than others...

Last edited:
organicplanet

organicplanet

Or
if you harvest when trichomes are clear it too early ...when milky and clear the cannabis will be an uppity high up lifted and happy and active ...if you wait until the trichomes are milky and amber that's perfect ...if you harvest when most of the trichomes are amber and brown it will produce a couch lock high

Lynch_Ironside

Lynch_Ironside

I thought I was onto something! If anyone runs across articles explaining why this happens it would be wildly helpful to me. I've already had a little disagreement with my friend about harvest time judging his trichomes. I don't want to tell him his weed is no good as he has a lot of it.... it's like if you see your neighbors wife cheating you cant just tell him shes cheating, he'll confront her she'll deny it and then they'll both hate you. But if you could call your neighbor over on his lunch break to help you move a fictitious couch then you have a solution to uncompromise your conscience. So the production of an article in the form not of some new grower who thinks he knows better than the guy doing it for 30 plus years may go along way.
I almost feel a moral obligation to tell him, I doubt want anyone else to experience that shit. But on the other hand he doesn't seem to mind, or doesn't seem to mention it at least. Thanks for the input guys!

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Imo most tend to harvest a bit to early. I have been guilty of this many times. I dont think I have seen anyone say fuck I harvested to late. Ideally I like to harvest when the highest amount of trichomes are milly and almost none clear. Sometimes this will mean some will be amber and other times not.

Its also important to look at the trichs on the calyx and not the leaves. Checking top middle and bottom to determine when overall would be the best time to harvest.

Just how I do it. But I would say some may prefer a slightly different method

Lynch_Ironside

Lynch_Ironside

My buddy is all about pistils, I'm trying to impress the importance of using a microscope. I even gave him a pocket one. Nothing great but it does the trick.

Interesting @Aqua Man, have you found much variation between the maturity the top of a plant compared to the lower bud sites?

Madmax

Madmax

Ive actually had the opposite on a few accasions of lower branch(s) maturing before tops .you will find different areas on plant maturing at different times..

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

My buddy is all about pistils, I'm trying to impress the importance of using a microscope. I even gave him a pocket one. Nothing great but it does the trick.

Interesting @Aqua Man, have you found much variation between the maturity the top of a plant compared to the lower bud sites?
Yup depending on strain, light intensity and type and heat. Top buds always ripen fastest and prone to degradation. Some will do a dual harvest but for me its not worth the time. I prune now to rid plants of most of the lower buds. Can't say if it gives bigger top buds as some say but definitely a more even product. Outdoor this is probably not as noticeable.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Ive actually had the opposite on a few accasions of lower branch(s) maturing before tops .you will find different areas on plant maturing at different times..

I can see that. Not experienced it but maybe heat from a heater or dehuey.

OP the important take away is check multiple buds on the calyx. Also some strain will show orange pistils and keep throwing white ones. So a combination of pistil color and trichs is not a bad idea. The plant will also slow down on its water uptake. Many signs point you to readiness. Usually I see most orange pistils, the swelling is done, the plant is hardly drinking and the trichs are no longer clear. Thats kinda my main thing... I dont want clear trichs... a few stubborn here and there but for me I like as little clear as possible.

Madmax

Madmax

I can see that. Not experienced it but maybe heat from a heater or dehuey.

OP the important take away is check multiple buds on the calyx. Also some strain will show orange pistils and keep throwing white ones. So a combination of pistil color and trichs is not a bad idea. The plant will also slow down on its water uptake. Many signs point you to readiness. Usually I see most orange pistils, the swelling is done, the plant is hardly drinking and the trichs are no longer clear. Thats kinda my main thing... I dont want clear trichs... a few stubborn here and there but for me I like as little clear as possible.
This is outside bro..i couldnt believe it myself.it does happen .i remember last time it did particular branch was only getting arfternoon sun so perhaps more shade attributed towards it...

Poekie

Poekie

Supporter
I'd say its not just the color of trichomes but mainly genetics.
It may be hard to get racey with a Pakistani Kush or some Afghan.
But some sativas are notorious for racey paranoia effects.
Some south African varieties i prefer not to smoke, make me sweaty, nervous, raised heartbeat.

beluga

beluga

Yeah... my experience would have me say both a strains terpe/cannabinoid profile and how that profile changes as it matures.

I've done a lot of guerrilla growing over there years and our September/October can stay ridiculously humid, foggy, etc. So, it was always a call between harvesting early or not losing everything to mold.

I actually like certain strains that are harvested early. I'm extremely prone to anxiety and enough of those early-harvested plants would only see me more active and heady (sativa effects even in indica dominance) and not flare up my anxiety at all.

I've probably noticed more anxiety from late-harvested plants because, in my experience, that's where you get more of those couchlock effects... and there's nothing worse for me than being immobilized and getting an anxiety attack.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
R.C. Clarke marijuana botany

Screenshot 20201119 083859
Screenshot 20201119 083905
Screenshot 20201119 083911

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
I'd say its not just the color of trichomes but mainly genetics.
It may be hard to get racey with a Pakistani Kush or some Afghan.
But some sativas are notorious for racey paranoia effects.
Some south African varieties i prefer not to smoke, make me sweaty, nervous, raised heartbeat.
Durban 🙂🙃👻

Lynch_Ironside

Lynch_Ironside

Very interesting... so a combination of genetics and harvest time could induce this anxiety...
Very interesting @Milson I need this book! Thanks for sharing man!👍

Top Bottom