Can I add fish to collected rain water???

• Thread starter TheSource_757
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

TheSource_757

So I collect rain water in a 50 gallon tote that sits in my backyard. I had a bright idea to add gold fish to the water. Would this benefit my water and plants?

HighRootz

HighRootz

It's basically like using aquarium water to feed your plants. I'm not sure about using it for cannabis but I know a few people that water their gardens when swapping water from fish tanks and they have some really killer tomatoes and other veggies

Homesteader

Homesteader

I just cleaned my kids turtle tank today and dumped it into my flower beds. I like turtles! Probably 10 times dirtier than fish though.

T

TheSource_757

Sure....Aquaponics but you may want to upgrade to talipa eventually
I imagine this would be to increase the amount of nitrogen? What if I’m in flowering would goldfish be fine. Ultimately this is just the water source I use, I also use other organic nutrients and fertilizers. @Homesteader

Homesteader

Homesteader

Are you talking about one or two goldfish? Seamaiden had some threads on here I believe. Maybe do a search of her threads

steamroller

steamroller

I am a fish guy and would think you would need some sort of filter to process fish waste [ from you feeding the fish] into nitrate/nitrogen.
A simple sponge filter driven by an air pump would work .
The filter would take about a month to become cycled and work properly. The fishes well being is at risk until the filter cycles .

Ponky

Ponky

Tilapia is the ideal fish for that which you propose. But you have to kill some to keep the numbers in check. And it would be better with a large volume of water.

KingOfUranus

KingOfUranus

@TheSource_757 check out this podcast, its called "Growing with Fishes" this is ep.1 of many.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Need hearty fish like goldfish, talapia, oscars and you would need an airstone. Yes you can but much of the benefit from fish tank water for plants comes from the overfeesing and breakdown of that food in combination with fish poop which just speeds the process somewhat.

you can go buy household ammonia and with bacteria naturally occurring and converting it in nitrates about 1ppm ammonia will equate to 4ppm nitrate.

Imo your better off just adding adding organic fertilizer and an air stone or nothing at all. Fish food is probably the least economical fertilizer in terms if price. But if tou have a tank already then by all means it would make sense to use it.

sorry to rain on the parade but your money is better spent elsewhere.

i used to breed and sell fish to the pet stores and many of us used the changeouts fir the garden. But its just not worth doing fir that reason because the quality of water to jeeo healthy fish does not allow much in terms fertilizer value before killing your fish.

Last edited:
TSD

TSD

It's basically like using aquarium water to feed your plants. I'm not sure about using it for cannabis but I know a few people that water their gardens when swapping water from fish tanks and they have some really killer tomatoes and other veggies
I use my tank water to water my houseplants everytime I do a water change or clean out, they really seem to enjoy it... haven't given it to my girls yet, they like the bougie nutes I buy and I'd hate to piss them off. 🤣

Ponky

Ponky

Nice, i did discus, catfish, cichlids and shrimp.

Cuckoo catfish were my favourite. Parasitic breeders, i used Mbuna’s like electric yellows and species 44 to breed them. Very cool to watch. Even one of the few who succeeded with amano shrimp. Very cool also.

man i sometimes miss my tanks but not the work lol
Yeah getting carried away with aquariums happens real quick. But what a nice smoking area. Dim room. Aquariums. Some music. Too bad aquarium stores are gone now.

steamroller

steamroller

Getting caried away is half the fun . MTS can apply here also .
Multiple Tank Syndrome / Multiple Tent Syndrome ..
I started with a room and now have two additional tents !
My discus when I was breeding them . Had over 1,000 gallons in the fish room .

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Getting caried away is half the fun . MTS can apply here also .
Multiple Tank Syndrome / Multiple Tent Syndrome ..
I started with a room and now have two additional tents !
My discus when I was breeding them . Had over 1,000 gallons in the fish room .
View attachment 1239636

View attachment 1239637
You breed discus? Beautiful brother. Look at those lil babies pecking on the slime coat.

this was my very last tank. All live plants… The tree is Christmas moss, the grass is dwarf hair grass and the waterfall i built out of styrofoam, concrete, paint and sealer with an airstone to drive the sandfall.

Top Bottom