Can I add fish to collected rain water???

• Thread starter TheSource_757
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Homesteader

Homesteader

What is the glass tear drop with air in it for? I use to do reef tanks but never had the money to do it right. I really want to raise trout here under my greenhouse like a guy on youtube has done.....Real Martian I think his name is....Tangent sorry....But I was curious what that was for.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

What is the glass tear drop with air in it for? I use to do reef tanks but never had the money to do it right. I really want to raise trout here under my greenhouse like a guy on youtube has done.....Real Martian I think his name is....Tangent sorry....But I was curious what that was for.
Its a drop checker. Use for a constant co2 reading based on the carbonic acid. Dissolved then released into the drop checker. You make a 4 dkh solution and use ph drops to gain a 1 ph drop which will give you approx 30ppm of co2 this is based on color. This tank was high light with co2 injection using a rex griggs reactor that i built to make it waaaay more efficient.

This is where my name came from i didnt even know there was a super hero at the time i made this account so ppl kinda laugh when i say i hate super heros but yet use this name

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

@Homesteader look into tom barr. He has his own site (the barr report) and was the person who developed the EI method (estimative index) for nutrients in planted tanks. So much of the aquatic worlds information and tactics are missing from this industry that we can use and benefit hugely from. Im going to bring some of that with my new grow systems in the coming months so im hoping people can see the benefits since they arent in this industry yet

TSD

TSD

You breed discus? Beautiful brother. Look at those lil babies pecking on the slime coat.

this was my very last tank. All live plants… The tree is Christmas moss, the grass is dwarf hair grass and the waterfall i built out of styrofoam, concrete, paint and sealer with an airstone to drive the sandfall.

That is amazing, did you make the waterfall yourself? I must know how so I can have another diy project to add to my list, it's so cool! I'm just getting into live aquarium plants now that I have a bigger tank... Are you the aquarium plant guru too? Might have to hit you up for some advice. 😊 I like to do stuff I'm not supposed to, like put a betta in with tropicals and goldfish then throw in a couple African dwarf frogs for good measure 🤣 They all seem pretty happy and get along, I made enough spaces for everyone to have a hideout. Gonna need to get me some of that moss fo sho. Don't mind my obese fish... I had to hide the food from my son. "But they looked hungry mom!"
20220427 093611

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

That is amazing, did you make the waterfall yourself? I must know how so I can have another diy project to add to my list, it's so cool! I'm just getting into live aquarium plants now that I have a bigger tank... Are you the aquarium plant guru too? Might have to hit you up for some advice. 😊 I like to do stuff I'm not supposed to, like put a betta in with tropicals and goldfish then throw in a couple African dwarf frogs for good measure 🤣 They all seem pretty happy and get along, I made enough spaces for everyone to have a hideout. Gonna need to get me some of that moss fo sho. Don't mind my obese fish... I had to hide the food from my son. "But they looked hungry mom!" View attachment 1239665
Haha i had african dwarf frog in that tank before i had to give em away. They are just to dam curious or stupid. They would ride tge tube up through the waterfall.

Yes i built it myself and it’s extremely easy you just need the right grain of sand and a variable output airpump. I used 1”PVC tubing with an elbow. You put the airstone down from the top and the bubbles rushing up create suction pulling the sand into the tube and up with it, then it falls back down creating the illusion of an underwater waterfall.

the waterfall portion is styrofoam coated in quickcrete i didnt have to add dye because its grey. Then acrylic paints to get the look you want after a non toxic sealer i got from Micheals (a craft shop) here in Canada.

one tip is never use aquarium gravel , the excess food and poop fall down into it and you get anaerobic pockets where denitrifying bacteria will produce hydrogen sulfide. This will kill your fish very quickly when the gracel is disturbed. You ever see air bubbles comin uo when you clean the tank that stink like sulfur?

Sand is the way to go you just need to be care if you have bottom feeders because if they eat sand they can become impacted and suffer whats called “the bloat” the only way to correct it is to massage the belly but even then success doing this is low

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Thats was my first test with silica sand that was to fine. I believe i ended up using #4 grain white sand. You can prob see the pvc opening in the bottom front on this video

TSD

TSD

Haha i had african dwarf frog in that tank before i had to give em away. They are just to dam curious or stupid. They would ride tge tube up through the waterfall.

Yes i built it myself and it’s extremely easy you just need the right grain of sand and a variable output airpump. I used 1”PVC tubing with an elbow. You put the airstone down from the top and the bubbles rushing up create suction pulling the sand into the tube and up with it, then it falls back down creating the illusion of an underwater waterfall.

the waterfall portion is styrofoam coated in quickcrete i didnt have to add dye because its grey. Then acrylic paints to get the look you want after a non toxic sealer i got from Micheals (a craft shop) here in Canada.

one tip is never use aquarium gravel , the excess food and poop fall down into it and you get anaerobic pockets where denitrifying bacteria will produce hydrogen sulfide. This will kill your fish very quickly when the gracel is disturbed. You ever see air bubbles comin uo when you clean the tank that stink like sulfur?

Sand is the way to go you just need to be care if you have bottom feeders because if they eat sand they can become impacted and suffer whats called “the bloat” the only way to correct it is to massage the belly but even then success doing this is low
Awesome, great info, and I bookmarked this for when I need a project. So cool, reminds me of that place in Mauritius that looks like an underwater waterfall. I do have bottom feeders unfortunately, a snail and 2 loaches... I try to keep up on the excess poo/debris, I have a gravel sucker... I don't suppose there's an option C for substrate? I honestly have done zero research on tanks, I just do what I was taught as a teen by a friend who's parents owned an aquarium store.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Awesome, great info, and I bookmarked this for when I need a project. So cool, reminds me of that place in Mauritius that looks like an underwater waterfall. I do have bottom feeders unfortunately, a snail and 2 loaches... I try to keep up on the excess poo/debris, I have a gravel sucker... I don't suppose there's an option C for substrate? I honestly have done zero research on tanks, I just do what I was taught as a teen by a friend who's parents owned an aquarium store.
As a breeder unless required for breeding like mbuna species i only used bare bottom tanks. (Like @steamroller is doing with his. display tanks were always sand. You can use gravel just if you have any tupe of infection like ick the fish may rub themselves against it and do mire damage to the slimecoat.
If you using it then make sure you gravel vac it once a week getting all the way to the bottom.
I also suggest only 50% water changes as to avoid stress and maintain your beneficial bacteria colonies

Reactions: TSD
TSD

TSD

As a breeder unless required for breeding like mbuna species i only used bare bottom tanks. But discuss lay tanks were always sand. You can use gravel just if you have any tupe of infection like ick the fish may rub themselves against it and do mire damage to the slimecoat.
If you using it then make sure you gravel vac it once a week getting all the way to the bottom.
I also suggest only 50% water changes as to avoid stress and maintain your beneficial bacteria colonies
Oh yes I rarely do a full change and never change water and filter at the same time, usually only change filter when it stops functioning lol... this is a newly upgraded tank so it's not fully established, usually my filter has all sorts of algae growing on it. I did save the old tank water and ran the old filter through the new water, so hopefully we're good. I haven't had any disease since starting back up, and the only time I have in the past is when I bought fish from petsmart and didn't quarantine it like a dumb ass. We went there to buy a snail last month and I had to piss my kid off cause we couldn't buy anything after I pointed out to the employee that they had an ick infestation in one of the systems. I miss real aquarium stores. Just went from 10 to 37gal cause the goldfish are getting big, I used to have like a 70 gallon that was a glass top coffee table that was sweet af... but that was another life, just got back into it with the 10 gal last year cause my son wanted fish, now upgrading, I'm sure I'll have all the sealife inside of a year. 🤣

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Oh yes I rarely do a full change and never change water and filter at the same time, usually only change filter when it stops functioning lol... this is a newly upgraded tank so it's not fully established, usually my filter has all sorts of algae growing on it. I did save the old tank water and ran the old filter through the new water, so hopefully we're good. I haven't had any disease since starting back up, and the only time I have in the past is when I bought fish from petsmart and didn't quarantine it like a dumb ass. We went there to buy a snail last month and I had to piss my kid off cause we couldn't buy anything after I pointed out to the employee that they had an ick infestation in one of the systems. I miss real aquarium stores. Just went from 10 to 37gal cause the goldfish are getting big, I used to have like a 70 gallon that was a glass top coffee table that was sweet af... but that was another life, just got back into it with the 10 gal last year cause my son wanted fish, now upgrading, I'm sure I'll have all the sealife inside of a year. 🤣
Just wait till the bug hits lol. Youll have more tanks than you can handle if nit careful. I used to build my own tank, sumps and refugiums and teach how at our local aquarium society. That rabbit hoke is crazy deep lmao. Everything from breeding microworms to discus to amano shrimp and D class fish. It can get sooo addictive, just like growing cannabis… the addiction is the griwing not the use 😎.

TSD

TSD

Just wait till the bug hits lol. Youll have more tanks than you can handle if nit careful. I used to build my own tank, sumps and refugiums and teach how at our local aquarium society. That rabbit hoke is crazy deep lmao. Everything from breeding microworms to discus to amano shrimp and D class fish. It can get sooo addictive, just like growing cannabis… the addiction is the griwing not the use 😎.
Oh I know... I watched a YouTube video the other day on how to build your own tank because I already want a massive one, but I'm also a cheapskate 🤣

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Oh I know... I watched a YouTube video the other day on how to build your own tank because I already want a massive one, but I'm also a cheapskate 🤣
I used to get my glass free from a few local wind and door places. Older glass is a bit tougher to cut cause its a bit more brittle. But no harm in calling them to see if they will…. Its that much less they have to dispose of. Then a glass cutter and some GE 1200 construction silicone and tinker away till you get good

Reactions: TSD
steamroller

steamroller

We may have met on one of the many fish forums @Aqua Man . I bred a fish that goes very well with discus and named them since I was one of the few in US to get them to the level the real keepers wanted . I am a well known breeder of a specific fish, but since many of the keepers on forums are kids I didn't use the one and only name I ever used on forums here . Nice Galaxy micro Rasboras [ Celestial Pearl Danios ] and waterfall .I am really a fish head through and through . I plan to set up fish room again, but better since I was pretty successful with my breeding efforts. One of my buddy sells plants for tanks . It is easy to get carried away !

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

We may have met on one of the many fish forums @Aqua Man . I bred a fish that goes very well with discus and named them since I was one of the few in US to get them to the level the real keepers wanted . I am a well known breeder of a im specific fish, but since many of the keepers on forums are kids I didn't use the one and only name I ever used on forums here . Nice Galaxy micro Rasboras [ Celestial Pearl Danios ] and waterfall .I am really a fish head through and through . I plan to set up fish room again, but better since I was pretty successful with my breeding efforts. One of my buddy sells plants for tanks . It is easy to get carried away !
Wow you know your fish there sir. I soent tine on the planted tank, the barr report and the majority on 2 local forums. Have some amanos and cheap cherry shrimp in there for cleaners to keep any algae off the plants.

you know the worst oart of that tank was trimming the dearf hair grass. Done with scissors and a mess to clean out after. But with the co2 cranked the pearling was nuts off of it. Prib cant see in the video because i think it was just at lights on.

i have no doubt we prob were on some of the same sites. If your in Canada check out site… spencer is an awesome guy and as legit and straight as they come. He used to put on a trip each year to various locations to catch mostly cichlids and other colorful species. My most favorite i bred in terms of color was a kyoga flameback from lake kyoga in Africa…. Kinda similar to species 44 but smaller and much more brilliant. Bith are diamorphic so only the males color up and more so the dominant males that really pop.

Last edited:
Buzzzz

Buzzzz

Wow you know your fish there sir. I soent tine on the planted tank, the barr report and the majority on 2 local forums. Have some amanos and cheap cherry shrimp in there for cleaners to keep any algae off the plants.

you know the worst oart of that tank was trimming the dearf hair grass. Done with scissors and a mess to clean out after. But with the co2 cranked the pearling was nuts off of it. Prib cant see in the video because i think it was just at lights on.

i have no doubt we prob were on some of the same sites. If your in Canada check out site… spencer is an awesome guy and as legit and straight as they come. He used to put on a trip each year to various locations to catch mostly cichlids and other colorful species. My most favorite i bred in terms of color was a kyoga flameback from lake kyoga in Africa…. Kinda similar to species 44 but smaller and much more brilliant. Bith are diamorphic so only the males color up and more so the dominant males that really pop.

You may get a kick out of this.. RIP Kip.

C

Chucktaylored

Getting caried away is half the fun . MTS can apply here also .
Multiple Tank Syndrome / Multiple Tent Syndrome ..
I started with a room and now have two additional tents !
My discus when I was breeding them . Had over 1,000 gallons in the fish room .
View attachment 1239636

View attachment 1239637
I think I have the same disease you have. Couple hundred gallons of tanks. Started with one. Same with the tent. Now I have 3

Top Bottom