Can I cut these leaves off?

• Thread starter NEGreenery
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
NEGreenery

NEGreenery

Are these leaves useless? They are yellowing.
Can i cut these leaves off
Can i cut these leaves off 2
Can i cut these leaves off 3

JSH1973

JSH1973

Supporter
Don't chop. Your plant is hungry. Feed it.

Close, but it's too early for their work to be done. Their job is done mid to end of flowering :)
Well I'm not going to say that you're wrong and I'm right 🙃
(After all, I've only been growing since October 2020 so I'm not exactly a professional in Canna yet)
However, with fan leaves that low on the plant, it really is an individual judgment if it is beneficial to the plant still or the plant could do with focusing that energy somewhere else I think, but each to their own and preferably plant by plant and see what works best for you 🙂

Smithers

Smithers

I’d say feed the plant. Lower leaves yellowing looks in this case to just be hungry. The plant taking stored nutrients from the bottom leaves to allow new growth up top. They will rebound and be useful again if the plant is fed. If you cut them off without feeding, likely the top will begin to yellow because it looks like it’s starving.

What’s the medium and nutrients you are using?

BorealCuring

BorealCuring

Supporter
Well I'm not going to say that you're wrong and I'm right 🙃
(After all, I've only been growing since October 2020 so I'm not exactly a professional in Canna yet)
However, with fan leaves that low on the plant, it really is an individual judgment if it is beneficial to the plant still or the plant could do with focusing that energy somewhere else I think, but each to their own and preferably plant by plant and see what works best for you 🙂
lol.

You have to ask yourself why the leaves are yellow. Yellowing leaves starting on the bottom means the Nitrogen (a mobile nutrient the plant can move around) is being taken up by the top of the plant as a survival mechanism to keep the top healthy, and to feed new growth. Keep in mind that the plant's ultimate goal is to flower and hopefully seed.

When the plant is close to finishing, the yellowing will be more random and dispersed on the plant. Then they have "done their job". This happens because close to harvest, the plant STOPS taking up nutrients from the soil, and uses up what it has stored in the plant (and why flushing in the last few weeks does nothing but waste nutrients).

Here's a perfect example of how dispersed yellowing leaves are on a plant close to harvest.
(Backyard Swazi - 2019)

elduderito

elduderito

that yellowing looks like the symptoms of some kind of problem - my guess (not that experienced) either plants are hungry and/or perhaps overwatered - she looks a bit droopy

NEGreenery

NEGreenery

Looks overwatered to me
Nah, it was almost 10am the time I took those pictures. It gets about 5-7 degrees Celsius colder every night and that's why they're drooping. OR it's overwatering lol.

NEGreenery

NEGreenery

One last thing from me. Get those wood chips out of there. Wood leaches Nitrogen from your soil. If it's all in your soil, up the nitrogen a bit more in your feed.
Thanks. I would've used straw mulch, but there's none to be found in any local stores here.

Latest posts

Top Bottom