Can I dip my pots in water to water plants?

• Thread starter drowsygenetics
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
drowsygenetics

drowsygenetics

Can I use my water and dip the pots in my gallon? I feel as it would be good because of the bubbles and foam but idk if it’ll damage the plant

Can i dip my pots in water to water plants
PauliBhoy

PauliBhoy

Yes this is called bottom watering and it is the most efficient because air doesn't get in the way! 😀

MilkyTrichomes

MilkyTrichomes

Yes! I use a 5 gal tall fabric bag, 10” diameter. This slides into a standard 5 gal home depot bucket (12”d) with an inch of space around. I usually split about a gallon of water 1/2 slow top pour and 1/2 soak in the bucket. Works great!

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

As long as your soil is free draining and air will be able to get in there again quickly after you soak it. This is a bit different than watering from the bottom, because you are actually eliminating the soil air and replacing it with water. Wicking from the bottom does not eliminate soil air.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Top feeding is the number one way to go, as your next watering flushes out the last one, so that keeps your medium like new. Downside to to plunge watering is that it back flushes what would normally be washed out.
When you water from the top it actually pushes down air to the roots.how do you remove salts towards the top of the media wicking from the bottom?
As long as your soil is free draining and air will be able to get in there again quickly after you soak it. This is a bit different than watering from the bottom, because you are actually eliminating the soil air and replacing it with water. Wicking from the bottom does not eliminate soil air.

Take me to your leader 👽👽👽

I'm buying a ticket for this launch also.

Newbelinginaz

Newbelinginaz

As a new grower trying to keep it simple I water from the top so I do not have to move the plants, but I let the cloth pots buttchug the runoff for a few hours. When they are really dry it is impressive how much they soak back up before I remove the excess.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

As a new grower trying to keep it simple I water from the top so I do not have to move the plants, but I let the cloth pots buttchug the runoff for a few hours. When they are really dry it is impressive how much they soak back up before I remove the excess.
They shouldn't soak it back up when top feeding unless there was an issue with the media being hydrophobic.

Newbelinginaz

Newbelinginaz

They shouldn't soak it back up when top feeding unless there was an issue with the media being hydrophobic.
Good point, I am trying to slow down and disperse my watering to combat hydrophobic issues with my soil. Unfortinunatly being a new grower I do not have the well earned knowledge to judge watering enough. So watering to runoff and buttchuging works now.

MilkyTrichomes

MilkyTrichomes

I’m gonna withdrawal my post. I follow these posters like Aqua, Chem, ‘79 and Mad, they know their business. If they say it’s not a good practice I listen.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Good point, I am trying to slow down and disperse my watering to combat hydrophobic issues with my soil. Unfortinunatly being a new grower I do not have the well earned knowledge to judge watering enough. So watering to runoff and buttchuging works now.
Only way to learn is to engage on discussions, share your points of view and gain experience.

Hell I learn something here almost daily. But I'm a bit of a loud mouth lol

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I’m gonna withdrawal my post. I follow these posters like Aqua, Chem, ‘79 and Mad, they know their business. If they say it’s not a good practice I listen.
It's not that it won't work cause it will... its just that if comparing methods and the methods are done right then imo top feeding has the most benefits. But again that's not to say other methods don't have thier own either.

Eg. Soaking pots you'll prob never run into an issues with hydrophobic media.

Just feel the benefits are greater and potential issues are lower when properly top fed is all.

Newbelinginaz

Newbelinginaz

It's not that it won't work cause it will... its just that if comparing methods and the methods are done right then imo top feeding has the most benefits. But again that's not to say other methods don't have thier own either.

Eg. Soaking pots you'll prob never run into an issues with hydrophobic media.

Just feel the benefits are greater and potential issues are lower when properly top fed is all.
So..... to sum up your thoughts depending on if you are a Coco or soil grower buttchuging the girls may be appropriate, and defiantly not hydrophobic. But having the girls do a full immersion water baptism may cause more problems than dribbling water on them due to their pots natural water table. I cant wait to see what the wife thinks about this.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

So..... to sum up your thoughts depending on if you are a Coco or soil grower buttchuging the girls may be appropriate, and defiantly not hydrophobic. But having the girls do a full immersion water baptism may cause more problems than dribbling water on them due to their pots natural water table. I cant wait to see what the wife thinks about this.
No no, full immersion issues I see are...
1. You have to lift the plants and dunk them in a bucket (not really feasible when plants are multiple feet tall)

2. No benefit over top feeding. (Unless your doing it wrong)

3. Absolutely way more wasteful on nutrients.

4. Will deplete PH buffering capacity of soils way faster.

I can list more but there is no reason to. Dunking is something that's done when the soil is hydrophobic.

Now wicking systems creat a whole nother set of issues that top feeding does not. If you were meaning that I can list some.

Anyone feel free to chime in on reason top watering is not better than wicking or dunking?

I'm not sure where you got me statement on water tables but hey if you want to read up on em here ya go. It's very relevant to the discussion.

https://www.thcfarmer.com/threads/w...-size-shape-and-environment-affect-it.126852/

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Dunking is something that's done when the soil is hydrophobic.
This is why you dunk. We have done this. When you find hydrophobic spots in your pot, you can lance and then dunk to eliminate them.
The downside is that it waaaaaay over waters the plant and it can take a week to get dry enough to water again.

Latest posts

Top Bottom