Can I get the advice of an experienced grower, or even if you're not that experienced just your advice?

• Thread starter Perrin6363
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Perrin6363

Perrin6363

My tent is only 30x30x60, I've got 2 plants going right now a few weeks out from harvest on my first grow. They're pretty cramped in there and for my next run was thinking about doing one plant in a 7 gallon pot. But I'm nervous about putting all of my stock into one plant. I've done alright with these first 2 plants, you might even say good. At this point I've got pretty good control over the environment inside the tent, VPD is good, humidity and temps are good. I feel good about my ability to keep a plant alive. The question was if you think it's a good idea to only grow one plant. What's the likelihood that something out of my control would happen? I see posts all the time about people's plants going bad, but it's usually from Improper care, but sometimes you don't know exactly what she wants. Should I just do 2 and play it safe? My seeds are feminized from Barney's farm.

freezeland2

freezeland2

My tent is only 30x30x60, I've got 2 plants going right now a few weeks out from harvest on my first grow. They're pretty cramped in there and for my next run was thinking about doing one plant in a 7 gallon pot. But I'm nervous about putting all of my stock into one plant. I've done alright with these first 2 plants, you might even say good. At this point I've got pretty good control over the environment inside the tent, VPD is good, humidity and temps are good. I feel good about my ability to keep a plant alive. The question was if you think it's a good idea to only grow one plant. What's the likelihood that something out of my control would happen? I see posts all the time about people's plants going bad, but it's usually from Improper care, but sometimes you don't know exactly what she wants. Should I just do 2 and play it safe? My seeds are feminized from Barney's farm.
You can do a single large plant, but as you said if it gets in trouble it will be your only plant. Bigger isn’t always better. Multiple small plants in a SCROG or SOG would be a better option if you are after yield.

Perrin6363

Perrin6363

You can do a single large plant, but as you said if it gets in trouble it will be your only plant. Bigger isn’t always better. Multiple small plants in a SCROG or SOG would be a better option if you are after yield.
Thank you

Perrin6363

Perrin6363

Well how much smoke do you need to meet your needs?
Currently bc I have to buy it I can make oz last a month. I figure an oz and a half once a month if I don't have to conserve too much.

Perrin6363

Perrin6363

What is your goal with growing?
Just to not have to pay for weed. Though now that I've started it'll prob always be a hobby, even if I had a bunch of extra weed stored up. It's fucking fun. There's so much to learn. And it's amazing to see something grow bc of my nurturing. It's a beautiful plant and the best part of my day, besides seeing my son, is going to check on them. It's finally starting to smell in there, and I love it.

Perrin6363

Perrin6363

Oh then your grow space should be big enough. Just make sure to flip the plants early so they don't get too tall. 2 plants in 2 gallon pots would be enough.
That's cool bc I already have the fabric pots. 2 in there now is not too cramped. Once I get the scrog down I bet 2 will be perfect. I put a trellis net up but, I don't know. I'll post some pics of my set up. I took some this morning. I appreciate your help.

20220527 064950
20220529 071208
20220529 071247
Perrin6363

Perrin6363

That's cool bc I already have the fabric pots. 2 in there now is not too cramped. Once I get the scrog down I bet 2 will be perfect. I put a trellis net up but, I don't know. I'll post some pics of my set up. I took some this morning. I appreciate your help.
I'll turn the lights down lower before pics next time.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

From the looks of things, you've done very well with your plants for a first run. However something you said jumped out at me ... you said "HOBBY" ... I'd invest in a larger tent and use your smaller tent as a seedling/veg tent. Add a 4' x 4' x 80" or a 2.5' x 5' x 80" and then you can grow perpetual style ... always having something flowering. Space permitting of course ... and an additional small but larger flower tent with lights can be had for a small investment. Excess is nice ... and the extra tent might keep your green thumb happier.

Last edited:
Perrin6363

Perrin6363

From the looks of things, you've done very well with your plants for a first run. However something you said jumped out at me ... you said "HOBBY" ... I'd invest in a larger tent and use your smaller tent as a seedling/veg tent. Add a 4' x 4' x 80" or a 2.5' x 5' x 80" and then you can grow perpetual style ... always having something flowering. Space permitting of course ... and an additional small but larger flower tent with lights can be had for a small investment. Excess is nice ... and the extra tent might keep your green thumb happier.
Thanks for the advice. As soon as I started in this 30x30x60 I realized it wasn't going to be big enough and began collecting 3/4 inch pvc pipe and fittings. I like to spread it out so I buy 2 fittings and a 10ft piece every time I go to home depot. I was going to use panda film to make an 8x10x8 tent, with a grow space in the middle 60x80 with 6 plants. Really the only thing holding me up is the light. I've been looking around a lot online and spider farmer is cool but I'd really love to get an HLG scorpion Rspec. It's $1000, but I can finance the thing for 0% interest. I just need to bide my time. I've got 3 outdoor plants that I think are going to be monsters. They're already bigger than the ones inside and they're only maybe 2 months old. But I figure with the weed from this grow, plus the outside, and maybe one more grow in my mini tent, I'll have enough herb that I could prob get rid of a bit to friends and fund the rest like that. I don't want to skimp on anything. I wanna do it right. I've got basically a 2 room apartment behind my house. 2 rooms divided by a bathroom and a little entrance room. I could do a lot in there.

Perrin6363

Perrin6363

I'm not very experienced but I'll give my opinion. With what your goals are I would keep doing what you are doing. It looks like you filled the tent up nicely this grow. Great job!
Thanks man, I certainly tried like hell, lol. Those are my goals, for the moment anyway. If this turns out good, I've def got some ideas for other goals. It's not allowed in the area of the United States that I live, but if I could get a few years of practice in for when it is, I'd do everything in my power to make a living doing this. I've got the space for it. And def the desire. But for now I will just keep doing what I've been doing. Thanks for the reply

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Thanks for the advice. As soon as I started in this 30x30x60 I realized it wasn't going to be big enough and began collecting 3/4 inch pvc pipe and fittings. I like to spread it out so I buy 2 fittings and a 10ft piece every time I go to home depot. I was going to use panda film to make an 8x10x8 tent, with a grow space in the middle 60x80 with 6 plants. Really the only thing holding me up is the light. I've been looking around a lot online and spider farmer is cool but I'd really love to get an HLG scorpion Rspec. It's $1000, but I can finance the thing for 0% interest. I just need to bide my time. I've got 3 outdoor plants that I think are going to be monsters. They're already bigger than the ones inside and they're only maybe 2 months old. But I figure with the weed from this grow, plus the outside, and maybe one more grow in my mini tent, I'll have enough herb that I could prob get rid of a bit to friends and fund the rest like that. I don't want to skimp on anything. I wanna do it right. I've got basically a 2 room apartment behind my house. 2 rooms divided by a bathroom and a little entrance room. I could do a lot in there.
HLG makes several great lights. However, they aren't the only good light out there. I have both quantum boards and a very nice Grower's Choice E720 bar light. How do you intend to use your space? If you see yourself running a scrog style grow consistently, then the bar light might be a better choice. Your light will be more evenly distributed through-out your space. Quantum board style are very intense with all it's light focused down-ward. This type of light works well if you set up your grow space so you walk up to each plant. Your concerns are not in equal lighting through out the entire grow space since you're growing around the perimeter and you don't need the light intensity concentrated in the center because that's your work area.

The nice thing about this being a hobby is there's no rush. Purchase your upgrades at your own pace. Just be prepared as growing your own is addictive. Once you start growing, you don't want to stop and you'll always be looking for areas to improve in whether its equipment, knowledge or technique.

Perrin6363

Perrin6363

HLG makes several great lights. However, they aren't the only good light out there. I have both quantum boards and a very nice Grower's Choice E720 bar light. How do you intend to use your space? If you see yourself running a scrog style grow consistently, then the bar light might be a better choice. Your light will be more evenly distributed through-out your space. Quantum board style are very intense with all it's light focused down-ward. This type of light works well if you set up your grow space so you walk up to each plant. Your concerns are not in equal lighting through out the entire grow space since you're growing around the perimeter and you don't need the light intensity concentrated in the center because that's your work area.

The nice thing about this being a hobby is there's no rush. Purchase your upgrades at your own pace. Just be prepared as growing your own is addictive. Once you start growing, you don't want to stop and you'll always be looking for areas to improve in whether its equipment, knowledge or technique.
Dang that's good info about the lights. I'm not sure if I'll do a scrog type set up. My idea for the bigger tent was 8x10x8 with a 60x80 grow space directly in the middle. 6 plants. So I could get around them to water and prune. I don't know how I'd set up a trellis net. Unless I built a frame around the 60x80 space in the middle. I get what you're saying about the difference in coverage for the lights. If that was my plan the quantum board style would be better right? How great is the scrog method? Am missing out by not doing it?

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Dang that's good info about the lights. I'm not sure if I'll do a scrog type set up. My idea for the bigger tent was 8x10x8 with a 60x80 grow space directly in the middle. 6 plants. So I could get around them to water and prune. I don't know how I'd set up a trellis net. Unless I built a frame around the 60x80 space in the middle. I get what you're saying about the difference in coverage for the lights. If that was my plan the quantum board style would be better right? How great is the scrog method? Am missing out by not doing it?
No, you would not be missing out by choosing one style over the other. There are pros and cons to each of course. Scrog is primarily used for at least one of these 2 reasons I'm about to say and many times both. Scrog style is great for filling a small space. It's also great for restricting heights. If you can walk all the way around your grow area, then it's probably pretty easy to take care of. If not, the larger the scrog, the harder it becomes because you can't move the plants so reaching that back pot in the corner 3 rows deep might be like playing twister and at my age I refuse to do that.

If you're planning to keep things small (6-8 plants in your space), you have ample room to use either style lighting and pretty much any grow technique you choose without making it too hard on your body.

Perrin6363

Perrin6363

I just checked out growers choice. That roi e-900 looks bad ass. I honestly don't know which style of light would serve best.

Perrin6363

Perrin6363

No, you would not be missing out by choosing one style over the other. There are pros and cons to each of course. Scrog is primarily used for at least one of these 2 reasons I'm about to say and many times both. Scrog style is great for filling a small space. It's also great for restricting heights. If you can walk all the way around your grow area, then it's probably pretty easy to take care of. If not, the larger the scrog, the harder it becomes because you can't move the plants so reaching that back pot in the corner 3 rows deep might be like playing twister and at my age I refuse to do that.

If you're planning to keep things small (6-8 plants in your space), you have ample room to use either style lighting and pretty much any grow technique you choose without making it too hard on your body.
That's really the big reason why I don't want to do it. I liked being able to lift the plants and turn them, or move them period. I didn't think about it until after I put the net up.

Latest posts

Top Bottom