Can I Plant Seeds In 100% Worm Castings?

• Thread starter simcoesod
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I've never done it, but would think it might be like growing in straight manure...the plants and roots might be burned by high levels of nitrogen. I'm sure someone has much more info than I can provide, but I know it makes a great addition to your soil.

Ezlyfe

Ezlyfe

I tried last year mine didn't grow, I had a few auto seeds I threw in was mixed 70/30 worm castings to perlite. Strain was lamb's bread auto crop king, ive had success with their autos so I assume their is just too much of something in there. It's the whole to much of a good thing usually turns into a bad thing, I won't try again seeds are expensive try cow manure that is a few years old, its very cheap and does work I know a few who use I think only cow manure and organic nutes with great success.

C

crazy4worms

If planting in soil, add 1/8 inch of worm castings at the bottom of the hole or trench, the seedling will find the castings when they are ready for them. When soaking seeds in water add just a pinch of worm castings to the water.

the rrock

the rrock

If planting in soil, add 1/8 inch of worm castings at the bottom of the hole or trench, the seedling will find the castings when they are ready for them. When soaking seeds in water add just a pinch of worm castings to the water.
Why would you need worm poop to sprout seeds? Does that help them sprout faster ? Ive found if a sseds not gonna sprout its not gonna sprout no matter what you do.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Self-Proclaimed Don Quixote
Supporter
Worm castings is a fairly gentle fertilizer but still adding a bit of peat in there wouldn’t hurt as not all plants are the same and seedlings are pretty delicate. I made a mix like 40% ewc, 20% manure, 20% peat and 20% aeration and also added bat guano and neem seed meal. It was a very strong mix but it worked well. But i haven’t started them in this mix. Started in tiny pots with 40% peat, 30% ewc and 30% aeration material and once 3 set of leaves appeared i transplanted to the hot mix. I would suggest the same to you too.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
Why would you need worm poop to sprout seeds? Does that help them sprout faster ? Ive found if a sseds not gonna sprout its not gonna sprout no matter what you do.

Ewc contains lots of enzymes and hormones and fulvic and humic acids. These are supposedly beneficial for seeds. They supposedly increase the germination rate and decrease the germination time etc. I say supposedly because i haven’t tried it myself.

C

crazy4worms

In addition to CrimsonEcho’s comments, the microbes in the worm castings create a barrier on the seed protecting it from disease.

detroitjoe

detroitjoe

Ewc contains lots of enzymes and hormones and fulvic and humic acids. These are supposedly beneficial for seeds. They supposedly increase the germination rate and decrease the germination time etc. I say supposedly because i haven’t tried it myself.

then why push the data if you havent tried it first hand?

detroitjoe

detroitjoe

In addition to CrimsonEcho’s comments, the microbes in the worm castings create a barrier on the seed protecting it from disease.
here we go again......HAS ANYONE POPPED SEEDS IN STRAIGHT WORM CASTING?
thats the question.

detroitjoe

detroitjoe

answer the question. its that simple. just answer it. whats the answer?? whats the freakin answerrrr.? .
Can I Plant Seeds In 100% Worm Castings? ....
if so, then proceed to share your freakin tips.

and now, this font is stuck.

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
answer the question. its that simple. just answer it. whats the answer?? whats the freakin answerrrr.? .

Lol, I understand your frustrations here:) personally I’d put em low in the pot and let em grow into it.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter

You don’t demand answers without asking proper questions. But for anyones sake who may read this thread in the future, i recently started a worm bin. 2 days ago. So i’ve been doing some research on the subject and the seeds in the food scraps germinate perfectly fine even while they are in an active worm bin. So thats your answer.

crimsonecho

crimsonecho

Supporter
Also i found that some ewcs are made up entirely of peat moss. It seems some companies or farmers force feed their worms with black peat which doesn’t provide any nourishment to the worms at all. So the castings is nothing more than peat half digested and enriched with microbes in the worms guts. In this kind of ewc there is nothing that can damage the seedlings.

On the other hand, ewc made from something like rabbit manure, farmyard manure etc. will contain more nutrients so there may be problems. Its better to test it with some cheap seeds first. The seeds may germinate but then plant may burn due to high nutrient content so there is no general answer to give on this subject. It depends on the ewc itself.

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
Yes and they will grow.
Done it. However, I do it with a sawdust cut, layer of casting, layer of sawdust, seed, water. Enjoy the sprouting.
Staring worm casting , it burns 2 weeks post pop. Hence the cut, u can cut with perlite / coco mix.
Seeds have all the “fertilizer “ enzymes needed to support its growth up to 2 weeks, post 2 weeks if where the need for good soil /media come in.
If you have a surplus of worm casting, I’d suggest cutting that with plain ol dirt. Let her cook for a few weeks and use that as your media , cut it with some coco/perlite, add some amendments, and you have a makings of super soil. Water only and enjoy.

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
And note:
Play nice, be polite, ask and be asked.
Don’t come out dicks swinging, I’ll ban without hesitation if y’all cannot play right.
It’s weed. Ain’t no effin competition here. It’s a help site. You wanna fight, go to Instagram and go at it. Here, stick to the points, take and give advice ,,, and keep it in your pants .
Cheers

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
And note:
Play nice, be polite, ask and be asked.
Don’t come out dicks swinging, I’ll ban without hesitation if y’all cannot play right.
It’s weed. Ain’t no effin competition here. It’s a help site. You wanna fight, go to Instagram and go at it. Here, stick to the points, take and give advice ,,, and keep it in your pants .
Cheers

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

here we go again......HAS ANYONE POPPED SEEDS IN STRAIGHT WORM CASTING?
thats the question.
Sounds like you have an opportunity to experiment. By all means, abandon the experience of hundreds of thousands of gardeners and farmers who have learned that drainage is important. Why is it the newbs feel they have to reinvent the wheel and that they have some special insight that no-one else has? It'll take you about 3 weeks to see the seedings struggle, and then you can go and read how to do it successfully, and argue with that, too.

BudBogart

BudBogart

What information are you looking for?
Can you plant seeds directly into EWC? Of course, but since nitrogen burns brand new seedlings, why would you? I’ve not done it, so they may sprout, but then what?
are You thinking about growing the entire plant in EWC?
My gut tells me it would get and stay very wet, even start to liquify. When flowering time comes, how would your plant get it’s P and K?
If it did grow in a large enough hole it would tend to fall over because EWC is not going to support the roots nearly as well as most mediums used.
Whatever you do, good luck and let us know any interesting results.

Top Bottom