Can I Put Seeds Directly Outside?

• Thread starter Maaaaurice
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Maaaaurice

Maaaaurice

can i put my germinated seeds directly outside? like can they be started outside instead of indoor i have them in solo cups in ffof i want to put them outside in the sun without having to start them inside i dont have that option can this work?

Blaze

Blaze

Yep, they should be good to go once they germinate. Seeds don't need to be babied like clones. You might want to put them in a make shift greenhouse or cold frame to protect them from rain and to keep them warmer at night for the first few weeks though.

I like to germinate mine indoors, but as soon as the seeds pop up and starting growing, they go outside for the rest of their lives. Germinating them directly outdoors can be problematic though since this time of year it still tends to be quite cold at night.

GrowingGreen

GrowingGreen

I put my seedlings/ small plants outside all day then bring em in garage under T5 for a 18/6 photoperiod, if you leave them out they'll flower without supplemental light

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
can i put my germinated seeds directly outside? like can they be started outside instead of indoor i have them in solo cups in ffof i want to put them outside in the sun without having to start them inside i dont have that option can this work?
Yep! Put them in the sun, they'll love you for it.
Yep, they should be good to go once they germinate. Seeds don't need to be babied like clones. You might want to put them in a make shift greenhouse or cold frame to protect them from rain and to keep them warmer at night for the first few weeks though.

I like to germinate mine indoors, but as soon as the seeds pop up and starting growing, they go outside for the rest of their lives. Germinating them directly outdoors can be problematic though since this time of year it still tends to be quite cold at night.
Actually, in my opinion you don't want to do that. It helps cull out the weaklings. That said, I have yet to lose seedlings to rain, snow or frost.

Blaze

Blaze

A bad storm might not kill them but it can certainly stunt them. It really depends on the spring weather. You can usually tell pretty quickly which ones are weaklings without beating them up.

M

motz

No root ball, hell yes!

Take a sharpened pencil and go at it.
Poke it in the ground till ya have paint on your pencil. Throw the seed in the hole. Squished shut with your fingers.
Wafuckinla done

Maaaaurice

Maaaaurice

Yep! Put them in the sun, they'll love you for it.

Actually, in my opinion you don't want to do that. It helps cull out the weaklings. That said, I have yet to lose seedlings to rain, snow or frost.
how many hours should live them outside in the sun? and can they stay out all day and all night or should i bring them in at night time if its to cold?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
A bad storm might not kill them but it can certainly stunt them. It really depends on the spring weather. You can usually tell pretty quickly which ones are weaklings without beating them up.
I still disagree. I think it's time we stop babying this one plant the way we do. Trying to grow the AC/DC last year showed me just how bad it's gotten.
how many hours should live them outside in the sun? and can they stay out all day and all night or should i bring them in at night time if its to cold?
Mine stay out 100% of the time.

maya42

maya42

I would say that putting them directly outside is the best option as well. Mine have been getting Pounded by wind and rain , when the makeshift greenhouse get blown over/destroyed. Plants are just fine. Good to watch for freezing temps though. That'll kill em

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Not in my experience, especially if they end up covered in snow, they do just fine.

However, giving it some thought, that may be because I typically start seeds from my dear friend, brother Loran. He's been breeding these lines up here for a few years at least now, and one of the things he's selecting for is adaptability to the Sierra climate. That may play a role in my experience.

Blaze

Blaze

Uhhh yeah, definitely. Loran's strains are hardy as fuck, some of the best outdoor genetics I've ever grown. You can't get away with that with a lot of other genetics.

M

motz

They should go through a winter anyway.
That's how they store up protein, shells are easier to come off.
It's just a good thing all around.
Mine all go thru a deep freeze, no complications whatsoever.

GreenHouser

GreenHouser

I can agree with you on this from experience. Ive literally shook a plant to get the dusting of snow we had got that morn. By noon it was all melted, but still if the soil/ground is pretty warm some strains can handle some frost an cold. Ive seen them grow on top of septic tanks next to compost piles in December. Northern Michigan

geologic

geologic

Old Pharmer
Supporter
One year I had early-planted seedlings popping up,
and a late freeze took it down to 27 degrees;
I was up before dawn to see what happens,
the little 1-2 day old seedlings had a layer of frost (not the good kind) on 'em;
I expected them to die when the morning sun hit 'em--
they never flinched or showed any detrimental effects whatsoever...

Bakataha

Bakataha

I'm not 100% sure where you stay, but I'll throw in my two cents, just for the hell of it. I live in a more desert climate (Southern California) and man is it pretty hot already, and at night it dips down to be about 45 degrees (cannabis supposedly slows growth tremendously after it dips below 60 degrees F. This is literally my first grow, ever and it's just outdoor. Since it's about 85-90 degrees during the daytime here, my young seedlings suffered burns from the really hot sun, but some faired better than others. I will drop some pics of my burned plants, I suppose. So, since they were getting burned from intense sun with no clouds, coupled with the heat, they're just not quite strong enough to handle it on their own, so I found an internet article that's saving me from this climate. I'll just paste the important outdoor part for ya :). Thanks, and best of luck to everyone's gardens :).

Internet post:

Seedlings intended for outdoor growing should be kept by a sunny window for the first week or two after emerging from the soil. When they have grown their second or third set of serrated leaves (after the the round cotyledons that initially emerge from the seed) seedlings are usually hardy enough to flourish in direct sunlight.

If outdoor temperatures are suitable, seedlings may be acclimatised to direct sunlight by giving them progressively longer daily exposure to outdoor conditions. Starting with about three hours outside, at the sunniest time of day, seedlings can be given an extra hour of outside exposure each day, so that within about two weeks they can be left outdoors permanently.

Top Bottom