Can I trim these tiny shoots off?

• Thread starter CF89
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
CF89

CF89

Plants are 8 weeks into veg. Just flipped to flower. There is some tinyyyyy new growth at the bottom that seems tiny and insignificant and a waste of time and energy. They get no light and are puny. Am I good to cut these little guys off or just let em all grow?

FourthCity

FourthCity

Plants are 8 weeks into veg. Just flipped to flower. There is some tinyyyyy new growth at the bottom that seems tiny and insignificant and a waste of time and energy. They get no light and are puny. Am I good to cut these little guys off or just let em all grow?

Cut em.

CF89

CF89

Ok. So how many do I cut and where do I draw the limit. I tend to get a little carried away with the scissors.

BigCube

BigCube

I cut off anything that's not going to be a solid bud. When I scrog, I take everything from the net down. Normal grow, about the bottom 3rd of the plant gets cut.

Rjp2435

Rjp2435

With small shoots like that it comes down to preference, but most people including myself would cut it. Wont keep up with the larger branches and will get overshadowed/consume energy that could be used elsewhere. Also looks like you have some tiny leaves that are half brown and probably not getting much light (playboy mansion for pests) I’d snip those as well.

CF89

CF89

Awesome. Thanks guys. Next time they get pulled out to get watered they’ll get cleaned up a bit.

quirk

quirk

Popcorn is for the movies. Clean 'em up. Organic soil auto grower.

DSCN3053 2
DSCN3012 2
CF89

CF89

So is there a such thing as taking too much off. What if I left only 8-12 main shoots? Would I actually get a higher, easier to trim yield?

FourthCity

FourthCity

So is there a such thing as taking too much off. What if I left only 8-12 main shoots? Would I actually get a higher, easier to trim yield?
Not likely a higher yield but probably easier to trim, certainly a higher bud to popcorn ratio but likely a slightly lower overall yield. There are really a lot more factors and practices that are necessary to make the most out of proper trimming and defoliating that will greatly impact the outcome.

CF89

CF89

Alright. Did some trimming today. Thoughts? Did I take too much off? I felt like I was removing wayyy too much. Maybe all this new growth I removed had potential? Maybe I removed growth that was too large?

there’s a few before an afters in there too.

FourthCity

FourthCity

Looks pretty good to me. Seems like you created room for some nice airflow while leaving a solid canopy and not removing so much that you have big empty spaces. My only critique is that you could have (and still should) spread the branches out more with your tie downs/lst which would have allowed you to remove a little less and produce a little more. While you are doing that see if you can get the tops of the branches on each plant to sit at an even height so you have a more level canopy, this will help take advantage of the trimming and give your buds a more consistent size.

CF89

CF89

Thanks for the answer. You’re right. I trained a little too often and aggressively when they were young. And then kinda left em and didn’t train anymore. So they grew up real quick and real tall. Lesson learned for the next one.

I will do some more LST tomorrow 👊

Rjp2435

Rjp2435

Looks great man! It can definitley be tough picking and choosing which leaves should stay (almost like playing God). But like FourthCity said, you were able to create a lot more air flower without removing too much of the canopy. My only input and what I do is remove those inward facing fan leaves. Some are covering bud sites but then there are other new small leaves growing inward that don’t seem like a problem now, but in a week or two it’ll be a giant fan leaf that you’ll probably have to remove anyways. Just my 2 cents. Again though, plants look awesome!:)

Latest posts

Top Bottom