Can i use a Green CFL bulb in my room when the light r off?

• Thread starter CanadianClassic
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

CanadianClassic

Need to know if my Green CFL bulb wil lwork when my lights r off without the plants seeing the light just not sure if the green bulb creates green spectrum lol any info would b nice thnx

S

scrapiron

I just saw these colored CFL's at walmart a while ago. I was wondering the same thing. Beware! I just saw somewhere about a week ago here on the Farm someone was talking about the green party bulbs and how they can not be trusted... But I think they were talking about the cheap incandescent ones. Not sure. Let me see if I can find that thread...

S

scrapiron

Check out Altitudefarmers post. Mabey he/she will chime in.

L

lowroller

I use 5 of the 13watt green flouro's.
been using them for a couple yrs with no problems, however i only use them when it is crucial to be in the flower room when lights out.

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

I would not trust them. A friend installed one thinking it was the solution to his scheduling problem, and his flowering girls lost their cool- started throwing nanners and reverting to veg. Four different strains, we thought they were highly stable. His was a 40watt party bulb with green tint. Not sure about the cfls. In any case, you want the light to be less than what the girls would see on a full moon.

C

CanadianClassic

interesting ya it is one of the 13 watt cfl flouros that Lowroller says he uses,thnx 4 the info ill look into it more b4 i put it to use!

j wizzle

j wizzle

dont use it, had a plant reveg on me before using the green cfl youre talking about. i would just stay out of the flower room when the lights are off. you have 12 hours a day to get what you need to get done... should be plenty of time to do whatever needs to be done.

T

Thdaoub

dont use it, had a plant reveg on me before using the green cfl youre talking about. i would just stay out of the flower room when the lights are off. you have 12 hours a day to get what you need to get done... should be plenty of time to do whatever needs to be done.

I think so:passingjoint:

C

CanadianClassic

Seems like no one can answer this question with a solid answer so im still right back were i started lol some say use it some say dont Its a known fact the plants dont absorb the green spectrum guess the real question is Does the 13 watt green flouro put out green spectrum or is there more to it?

j wizzle

j wizzle

Seems like no one can answer this question with a solid answer

i just gave you a straight answer....the green CFL WILL cause your plant to reveg...its not just a green spectrum being put out. i dont have any light leaks, its the green CFL. ive used a green party bulb with success but after revegging with the CFL, im just staying out when lights are off from now on

use your phone if you really need to go inside with the lights off

what could you possibly need to do that requires more than 12 hours of straight work?

N

nucleotide

I and a few other folks I know use the special t5 bulbs that Beezleb linked to.
The guys at my local store recommended them to me and they have used them for a few cycles now. I'm in my second cycle having used these lights to do watering, etc and no problems.

Jwizzle, some people such as me run their lights at night to keep things cool - but they might not be able to work at night. What I've realized that it is very easy to be negligent of outside light sources when the green lights are on. I have to yell at my people to not answer their phones when they are in the room with the greenies on and its super easy to open the door and not think anything of the outside light because the room is also lit.

Plants respond to certain frequencies of light, green light is not used by plants. That is why they are green, because that is the color that they are not absorbing, they are reflecting that wavelength.

Your lights J wizzle may have been the cheaper bulbs that modify white light and attempt to filter out other wavelengths. This might not be perfect and may leave a bit of leakage at certain wavelengths that the plant responds to. Did you use the sassy little sylvania bulbs such as those linked?

LEDs and the special t5 bulbs EMIT only light at the proper green wavelength. It would be highly irresponsible to market a bulb as being one that doesn't disturb flowering cycles if it indeed does.

C

CanadianClassic

Thanks Nucleo and Beezle J wizzle dont be concerned with what i need to do in my room or how long it takes its none of your business and why would you even care? lol

F

fiftythree33

Guess I'm tossing my party lights any good deals on safe bulbs?

G

grenbone

I would like a good green led headlamp or something similar in order to do such things as spray for bugs in the dark, and maybe give the plants a misting in the dark. I recently heard that 7-up or mountain dew plastic bottles work as a good green lens on a mag-lite led flashlight, but that it works best with three layers of green plastic.

I think as long as it doesn't get any more bright than a full moon everything will be cool. Having green lights on all the time during every 12 hour period of darkness is something I personally wouldn't take chances with.

S

Steve Z

green cfl bulb from wal-mart = SZ walking into his room at lights on and seeing like 2934759027034972039472903472093470234 nanners.

do not use those fucking things. i had to go in with tweezers yesterdaay and literally get 150~ nanners.

fuck those bulbs, i only used it 2 nights for like 15-20 mins each

420Gator

420Gator

the led headlight is like 12 bucks at the dro shop and i used it alot when school was going and i didnt wanna water at nite. didnt have any problems

Top Bottom