Can I use coco in my waterfarms?

• Thread starter USApotluvr1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
U

USApotluvr1

Hey farmers, I am curious as to whether I could switch my medium from hydroton to coco coir, in my waterfarms for my next grow? I am worried about the constant drip of my waterfarms and if it would be okay with coco. I don't use rockwool, I just put my germed seeds in rapid rooters and then into the waterfarm. Will this work? Any help would be appreciated! potluvr

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
Drill yor holes out a little bigger in the top waterfarm part so that you get super drainage and flow first. The ones that come in there from the factory are way to restrictive to be effective.

Use coco chips, not coir or pith because it is way to fine and holds way to much water...

Water only once for 15 minutes right when your lights come on and you should be golden...if you water to much more than that you will get waterlogged plants and gnats everywhere..

Works great though just gotta watch not to over water..

Tex

U

USApotluvr1

Thanks Texas Kid!

Thanks for the help, bro!
I will do a side-by-side comparison grow next, with 1 waterfarm that I will modify to allow for better drainage, and use coco chips, and feed like you said for 15 mins. at lights on, and the other waterfarm will be not be modified, using hydroton, and the pump will be on 24/7.
Strain will be the same obviously (either Connie Chung or Crimea Blue). I def enjoy experimenting with all these factors and trying new technologies to see what grows my girlies the best. Also, thanks for your help as a mod here, you are an excellent addition to an already top notch site! potluvr

U

USApotluvr1

Good morning farmers!

Hey everybody, I ordered 40 liters of Sunleaves Piece Coir, which comes ready to grow no soaking needed. I am wondering if I should put down a 3-4 inch bottom layer of hydroton in my waterfarm, and then fill the rest with the coco? I have been reading some of your coco threads and am concerned about clogging the drainage holes. Would you coco guys do this? Thanks again, potluvr

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
Soak it still, i ran that stuff back in the day and salt is a big deal with that particular brand..

You might need to add a little Cal-Mag to your coco setup but that is about it.

Tex

U

USApotluvr1

Thanks TK!!

I will have Cal-mag on hand, so will use it in my res and I will soak down my coir medium as suggested! Thanks for your help again Texas. potluvr

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
If you are using fine coir, you can go about three days between watering...much more and it gets waterlogged like a mofo...might try addin a handfull of coco chips in the mix for a little more drainage..

Tex

Top Bottom