Can I use H2O2 added to my res to sanitize my setup (Ebb&flow in buckets)

• Thread starter NewbieHydro
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
NewbieHydro

NewbieHydro

Hello,
I have taken too much time getting my setup ready, The buckets of rinsed hydroton have been set up for 2 months. The RO water has been stored in proper conditions for several months. I thought I'd add some H2O2 to the res without nutrients and cycle it a few times before I add nutrients and seedlings.

Does anyone have thoughts on this subject?

Thank you for reading my post.

JNT

phxazcraig

phxazcraig

Hello,
I have taken too much time getting my setup ready, The buckets of rinsed hydroton have been set up for 2 months. The RO water has been stored in proper conditions for several months. I thought I'd add some H2O2 to the res without nutrients and cycle it a few times before I add nutrients and seedlings.

Does anyone have thoughts on this subject?

Thank you for reading my post.

JNT
Take anything I write with a grain of salt as this is my first grow with a reservoir. I'm doing drain to waste in coco coir, currently at 5x/day in early flowering stage.

A few weeks into my grow, which has a DIY self-draining saucer system exactly as described in Cocoforcannabis.com, I noticed my sump drain bucket and clear plastic drain lines were turning green from algae. I also noticed foaming in the reservoir, which is stirred with a simple airstone from an aquarium. I bought a gallon of 35% H2O2 (and some gloves) and I used an eyedropper to put a drop or two in the drain bucket, and another drop in the ends (drain bucket end) of the drain tubes. The peroxide completely cleared the algae in a matter of 2-3 days.

Looking around the internet I saw recommendations for using H2O2 in the reservoir. That includes an article on H2O2 here, which unfortunately doesn't give the concentration of the solution it recommends - even after warning that H2O2 comes in very different concentrations. (That article assumed 3% H2O2).

Anyway, I've been adding 25ml of 35% H2O2 to 10 gallons of nutes after I've mixed up the latest batch. The first time I just threw 25ml of H2O2 right into the foaming reservoir. It quit foaming in a matter of hours, and I think it stabilized the pH a bit too as something was causing the pH to drop (below my control point of 6.0)

I have seen nothing but good results so far, but research this if you doing organic fertilizers or rely on microbial communities in the root zone. I don't know if it hurts there, but H2O2 is generally thought beneficial to roots, if not too concentrated.

tobh

tobh

Supporter
yeah, you can use h2o2 in your res. i use it throughout the entire grow personally. 5ml/gallon 34% h2o2. don't use the pharmacy special stuff, it'll screw with your pH since it's stabilized.

Top Bottom