Can Plants Be Showing Signs Of Sex?

• Thread starter Raw911
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

Raw911

its day 14 and I've noticed on plant that at the nodes it looks like pistils [i think thats the right name] but can plants show sex at 14 days?
i know I've always read that they won't show until flowering but i just wasn't expecting to see this right now.
Can plants be showing signs of sex
Can plants be showing signs of sex 2
Can plants be showing signs of sex 3

straincreation

straincreation

Where did you read thatlants only show sex in flower. Thats a bold face lie my friend. Usually they won show till about the 6th node or so. Usually under extra light like 18 plus hours they wont show to much but ive been sexing plants in veg since i was taught how to as a boy.
Dont gwt me wrong some girls are stubborn but i find most of them will show if you put her to 16 hours or so of light. Also some genetics are funny and just wont show or will show a Sex that will leave you scratcing your head, either way to answer your question yes this is normal.

Looking at your photos i dont see any sex yet, i think what you are seeing is (sepals/bracts). Pretty much the genders skirt. Which can often be mistaken as pistils.
Upload 2015 3 29 8 33 57

Hope this helps
happy farmin;)

R

Raw911

Where did you read thatlants only show sex in flower. Thats a bold face lie my friend. Usually they won show till about the 6th node or so. Usually under extra light like 18 plus hours they wont show to much but ive been sexing plants in veg since i was taught how to as a boy.
Dont gwt me wrong some girls are stubborn but i find most of them will show if you put her to 16 hours or so of light. Also some genetics are funny and just wont show or will show a Sex that will leave you scratcing your head, either way to answer your question yes this is normal.

Looking at your photos i dont see any sex yet, i think what you are seeing is (sepals/bracts). Pretty much the genders skirt. Which can often be mistaken as pistils.
View attachment 498157

Hope this helps
happy farmin;)
yes .... your reply helps a lot ... my plants have been under 24/0 lights [store guy said to do this] but you said usually around the 6th node .. ok ... yea thats only the 1st node ... yea but guy at store told me that i won't see sex until i go into the 12/12 lighting

straincreation

straincreation

Well listen to who you want i can tell yoy from over a decade of experience, or you can listen to the guy selling you snake oil its up to you.

I base my knowledge on facts and experience so again this is what i have to offer you.

Happy farmin;)

straincreation

straincreation

I dont think youll be gettin any sex under 24 hrs though but you never know.

sun

sun

what you are seeing is where it will branch off from the main stem , I don't see pre flowers and realy dought they will show yet.i had a sativa where I couldent see any preflowers under 24/0 even under 100x had held scope.Never heard of a marijuana plant not having preflowers.

waayne

waayne

@Raw911 All I see is the terminal apex of secondary branches starting to grow at the nodes,I don't even see stipules yet ,let alone primordia......

@straincreation your pic is confusing, your pic identifies the calyx and pistil correctly, but it is showing a stipule and identifying it as a bract....that's just plain wrong........

straincreation

straincreation

@Raw911 All I see is the terminal apex of secondary branches starting to grow at the nodes,I don't even see stipules yet ,let alone primordia......

@straincreation your pic is confusing, your pic identifies the calyx and pistil correctly, but it is showing a stipule and identifying it as a bract....that's just plain wrong........
I got you it was really just a google image search and the bract part threw me off. I was under the impression it was a stipule was exactly what this picture is identifying as a bract. But my point was made that it is not a calyx that he is seeing. Simply just another part of the anatomy.
Again this is not my pic just for demonstative purposes, i do understand that giving this picture is false info so my apologies. This was the only pic i found that actually highlighted the stipules And didnt just show an internode with all parts.

Happy farmin;)

Thanks for the correction @waayne ;)

waayne

waayne

@straincreation No apologies necessary,I would never have even pointed it out ,but not for the fact that the pic is being used for the sole purpose of identifying plant anatomy,so I felt this misidentification/error needed to be pointed out.

@Raw911 The age when plants show sexual primordia is strain dependent as well as environmental.
I have hybrids that are 7 weeks old,that aren't showing anything other than undifferentiated primordia,these will need a few days of 12/12 lighting before they will be able to be identified accurately.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter

View attachment 498157

Hope this helps
happy farmin;)
I agree with @straincreation those look like sepals/bracts. And he is also correct that they dont just show in flower. They typically present once they have reached sexual maturity which can be well ahead of 12/12 flip

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
@waayne pointed out good info......... I also should have included (strain dependent). As I have had strains present pistils well B4 12/12 flip. But I would also share that the veg times were extended so they were primed and ready to go.

J

jinxjj

I agree with @straincreation those look like sepals/bracts. And he is also correct that they dont just show in flower. They typically present once they have reached sexual maturity which can be well ahead of 12/12 flip

As I have just learned the hard way. Had a clone herm on me in veg and grow balls and shoot pollen everywhere with me being none the wiser. Argggg.

Latest posts

Top Bottom