Can Powdery Mildew infect already cured nugs?

• Thread starter Gradyoactive
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

Gradyoactive

So I just returned some kush because it had powdery mildew spores puffing out of the nugs, like smoke wisping upwards every time I squeezed them or cracked them. The guy was a prick about it, and said he's cutting me off (lol, like I would have ever bought from him again anyway), but he did let me return it at least.

Anyway, I was shaking around and transferring the kush from the original bag to a vac-seal bag, and then inspecting it and witnessing said PM spore exodus in the same room I store and burp my other buds. I got really worried that the spores would infect my other cured nugs, and was considering doing a deep apartment cleaning, but then I read online that PM requires LIVE plants to reproduce (I only have cured nugs, no live plants in my apartment).

Is this true? Does PM really not spread to already harvested/cured nugs? Or should I obsessively clean my apartment and then dry the nugs to 50% RH? Or do something else?

Sorry if this is a stupid question. I'm freaking out because I have a lot of weed left to potentially get ruined. Thanks for the help!

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
So I just returned some kush because it had powdery mildew spores puffing out of the nugs, like smoke wisping upwards every time I squeezed them or cracked them. The guy was a prick about it, and said he's cutting me off (lol, like I would have ever bought from him again anyway), but he did let me return it at least.

Anyway, I was shaking around and transferring the kush from the original bag to a vac-seal bag, and then inspecting it and witnessing said PM spore exodus in the same room I store and burp my other buds. I got really worried that the spores would infect my other cured nugs, and was considering doing a deep apartment cleaning, but then I read online that PM requires LIVE plants to reproduce (I only have cured nugs, no live plants in my apartment).

Is this true? Does PM really not spread to already harvested/cured nugs? Or should I obsessively clean my apartment and then dry the nugs to 50% RH? Or do something else?

Sorry if this is a stupid question. I'm freaking out because I have a lot of weed left to potentially get ruined. Thanks for the help!
Obsessively clean your apartment. Not sure about the buds. I do know the spores will travel. Never personally had that issue but I’m sure others will chime in.
Burnz

marcd455

marcd455

You have nothing to worry about, PM requires live vegetation and environmental factors that will not be possible without a active growroom. There is PM evvvverywhere, just gotta produce the proper environment for it to surface.

marcd455

marcd455

I am however curious if they were actually PM spores. I've had extensive battles with PM in my grows, pulled out every trick in the book to try salvaging infested product, thrown out almost 5 pounds of infested product, been to hell and back with PM. The scenario seems unlikely, if a grow is infested to that point it would be impossible to grow decent product. I guess now that I think about it if it was shit weed then you could totally be right. The mildew itself doesn't normally attach to the bud, it tends to stay on leaves. If you do have cured bud with powdery mildew, look for the stubs of sugar leaves and you should be able to see small white groupings. I'll try to dig up some old pics.

Latest posts

Top Bottom