Can rockwool be ruined by being soaked too long before being used?

• Thread starter NewbieHydro
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
NewbieHydro

NewbieHydro

Hey Folks

I was a little concerned that soaking for too long might change the structure and not let enough air in. I understand that it has to drain. This is my 1st grow and I'm a little apprehensive about everything. 😬

Thanks for reading my post

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
No. If you are using Grodan you don't need to pre soak it anymore. That is advice back from when the cubes had a lot of lime in them from the manufacturing process. Not the case anymore. Only cubes I soak are rooters. Just water in the cubes before you transplant into them.

NewbieHydro

NewbieHydro

That is good to know. I am germinating in macroplugs (Grodan) I'll transplant into hydroton, 2-gallon, ebb & flow, bucket system.
Thanks for your help

FatManatee

FatManatee

I drench my rockwool cubes in boiling water before planting seeds or clones, a sure fire way to sterilize the cubes, and reduce risks of contamination further on.

NewbieHydro

NewbieHydro

I appreciate y'all's help. I had 3 pop overnight I lowered my 2' - 2 bulb, T5 light closer (4"). The temp in the dome shot up to 90°, so I had to raise it. I want to avoid stretch. I had read that T5 6500K was a good choice for seedlings. Perhaps there is a more effective solution?

Last edited:
cemchris

cemchris

Supporter

I appreciate y'all's help. I had 3 pop overnight I lowered my 2' - 2 bulb, T5 light closer (4"). The temp in the dome shot up to 90°, so I had to raise it. I want to avoid stretch. I had read that T5 6500K was a good choice for seedlings. Perhaps there is a more effective solution?

Good 2 go

NewbieHydro

NewbieHydro

All but one popped over the weekend! The 1st 2 that popped went straight to the top of the dome. I have the light 2" above the dome. I'm not sure what is up with that. Any thoughts about what I can do differently?

4 day streach

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
best suggestion is when popping seeds in rooter cubes as soon as a tap root pops out of the bottom of the cube transplant them. If not they will stretch quite a bit.

NewbieHydro

NewbieHydro

best suggestion is when popping seeds in rooter cubes as soon as a tap root pops out of the bottom of the cube transplant them. If not they will stretch quite a bit.

Thanks Chris... I can see that I still have much more to learn

Top Bottom