Can someone help clarify Nitrogen needs throughout life cycle?

• Thread starter GarrPhunk
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
GarrPhunk

GarrPhunk

I am a little confused on Nitrogen needs for the plants. I was under the impression the N needs diminished as they went into and through flowering???
I asks because I use the Fox Farms trio and was getting ready to use several of their other products as well. After looking at the N content, and after being told my plants look like they are getting to much N - “ because the dark green leaves…?”
I am hoping some one can clarify the Nitrogen needs for the plants or point me in the right direction. The picture is of the nutes that contain N & the FF feed schedule.
Any insight appreciated
- long as it’s not that guy trying to make people feel stupid !!! Lmao
Can someone help clarify nitrogen needs throughout life cycle
Can someone help clarify nitrogen needs throughout life cycle 2

Capital_Florica

Capital_Florica

Nitrogen is one of the most important nutrients so almost everything will have nitrogen in it to varying degrees. You’re correct though in that during the flower period, the plant needs less nitrogen, so feeding anything that is high in nitrogen is unhelpful and potentially harmful. That doesn’t mean that it seizes to need nitrogen which is why many nutrients for bloom will still contain it.

It’s possible that the excess of nitrogen you’re allegedly seeing is from the liquid nutrients added but it could also be from the soil. Especially if you’ve used additives that are high in nitrogen. So say you did add additives like manure, going full strength with Grow Big will probably be overkill since already your soil is packed with nitrogen.

In general, it’s always advised to start half strength of whatever is recommended. So cut all those numbers in half on the Fox Farms feeding schedule, and start there.

TheBrokeGrower

TheBrokeGrower

Flowering cannabis plants need less nitrogen and more potassium to promote the growth of big, resinous flowers. During the first two weeks of flowering, most growers feed their flowering plants with a 5:7:10 fertiliser. From here on out, it’s common practice to keep dialling up the nutrients on all fronts, always keeping potassium concentrations higher than the rest. By mid-flowering, most growers will be using a 6:10:15 nutrient solution.

NNNNN
PPPPPPP
KKKKKKKKKK
During the last weeks of flowering
growers will drive down their nutrients to smooth out the transition to the pre-harvest flush. By this stage, it’s common to use a milder fertiliser with an NPK ratio of 4:7:10.

NNNN
PPPPPPP
KKKKKKKKKK

Flowering feeding recommendations:​

• Early bloom: 5:7:10
  • Mid-bloom: 6:10:15
  • Mid–late bloom: 4:7:10
  • Late bloom: pH balanced flush

FATAL

FATAL

Dark green leaves don't mean too much nitrogen. Dark green means you're making lots of photosynthates. The problem is when those don't relocate. And that's a phosphorus issue. 99 out of 100 times, people's P issue is a calcium issue. 99 times out of 100, people attempt to fix a calcium issue by adding calcium Nitrate,or phosphorus.

Do you see why this has flown over the cannabis communities head? Because they learnt about Snake Bloomz© and Megafuck Yield Wizard®, Cookie Sweetener Juice® and Supercalmagifragilisticexpialidocious+© instead of reading a book on how plants grown. I say pot growers get what they deserve, and I'm here to tell you don't waste another second on these forums. They make you retarded.

Nitrogen is needed for fiber growth. Don't diminish N until your buds have their structure. Don't feed NPK that you can't use. Calcium deficiency is holding NPK from being utilized in every grow I see. Don't cut npk, use it.. Cannabis is a fast growing plant. Excess N shows me someone's grow is slow slow slow...

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
The most recent research coming out of university studies on cannabis shows that it prefers roughly a 2-1-2 npk ratio all the way through the whole cycle including flower. P and K can be supplemented, but carefully. And yes Calcium is is incredibly important, Fatal raises an excellent point. As is Silica.

I'm not a big fan of calmag supplements though, you are better off using Calcium silicate or calcium gluconate or even calcium carbonate. Clamag supplements often end up adding too much iron since fertilizers also have iron in their micronutrient packages.

Allegedly

Allegedly

this is the thread that I said something about the leaf color, but I gave a number of reasons.
I think you were feeding full strength nutes and adding a bunch of things without checking PPM at one point, you had mentioned. sorry if that was bad advice, probably flew over my head.

GarrPhunk

GarrPhunk

@ Allegedly
Your correct, that was the first time I had started checking ppm.
And yes it was because of slllloooowwww growth.
Flushing and plain(ph correct) water helped. I’m now watering to 20% runoff and proper ppm.
Thinks are improving .

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
The most recent research coming out of university studies on cannabis shows that it prefers roughly a 2-1-2 npk ratio all the way through the whole cycle including flower. P and K can be supplemented, but carefully. And yes Calcium is is incredibly important, Fatal raises an excellent point. As is Silica.

I'm not a big fan of calmag supplements though, you are better off using Calcium silicate or calcium gluconate or even calcium carbonate. Clamag supplements often end up adding too much iron since fertilizers also have iron in their micronutrient packages.
I see a lot of talk with a variety of problems using different combinations of nute's. I'm pretty simple and the GH flora trio is pretty simple to follow. Beachwalker said something similar to me. The scientists and professionals that create these products have done the work and research and give us recommended feed schedules . I'm not as smart as they are but I've been using their product for around 20 years and I stick pretty close to their charts just a bit lighter. I don't get a lot of nutrient issues. I've fked up my crops using too much or too little feed but that's not their fault. I know there are a lot of companies and poof products out there but the basic trio from GH seems to work. just fine.

GarrPhunk

GarrPhunk

@Allegedly
I had enough of everything in those pots my build up was bad. So IMO not given N and just plain water helped big time !
The path of research you sent me down was solid !
And I appreciate it !!!!

GarrPhunk

GarrPhunk

@PipeCarver
And everyone else
Any and all opinions and advice from experience with the different nutes is most appreciated.
I’ve been out of the game a long long time and those in the business and the hobbyist that been out there these last 30 years have made it a science.
I am just trying to soak it all in !
Someone wrote a statement in a tread a recently read here :
“ it can be as easy or as hard as you make it…”
I have grown Dank, the KIND and w/e kids wanna call it today
But now I have the time amd resource I’d like to learn from you guys how to grow Kolas the size of my arm !!!!!
Thanks again to all you that post and offer up hard earned knowledge !!!!!

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
@PipeCarver
And everyone else
Any and all opinions and advice from experience with the different nutes is most appreciated.
I’ve been out of the game a long long time and those in the business and the hobbyist that been out there these last 30 years have made it a science.
I am just trying to soak it all in !
Someone wrote a statement in a tread a recently read here :
“ it can be as easy or as hard as you make it…”
I have grown Dank, the KIND and w/e kids wanna call it today
But now I have the time amd resource I’d like to learn from you guys how to grow Kolas the size of my arm !!!!!
Thanks again to all you that post and offer up hard earned knowledge !!!!!
Im just learning here too. I was deep under ground, I talked to no one I wouldn't go on these sites for fear of being tracked. I had no one to ask for help except a couple guys I was buying nut's from. I found this site 2 years ago and the cats out of the bag. This is a great place to get help from those that have been there dun that. Read the forums , a wealth of info from a great bunch of growers willing to share. I'm old 69 ( today ) and smoke a lot so some of my grey matter is a bit fuzzy, fk ups are just part of the game for me.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Im just learning here too. I was deep under ground, I talked to no one I wouldn't go on these sites for fear of being tracked. I had no one to ask for help except a couple guys I was buying nut's from. I found this site 2 years ago and the cats out of the bag. This is a great place to get help from those that have been there dun that. Read the forums , a wealth of info from a great bunch of growers willing to share. I'm old 69 ( today ) and smoke a lot so some of my grey matter is a bit fuzzy, fk ups are just part of the game for me.
@PipeCarver Happy Birthday ...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom