Can someone tell me the TRUE reason for hard purple stems?

• Thread starter geralds
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
geralds

geralds

Hi guys, so this is my second grow with the same strain. On the last grow and this grow I’ve had purple streaking on my main branches, and solid purple on secondary branches that connect to main. The stems are so hard I can’t even crush them with my fingers to super crop. I had a pretty good mag deficiency earlier on and still see a few leaves here and there that show mag def, but overall most leaves are lush green. How can I fix this hard purple stem issue. Last grow wasn’t this bad.

scyncegrown

scyncegrown

That early Mg deficiency probably didn't do you any favors on the purple problem. What light are you running and what is you strain? Most often I find that he purple comes along with to much calcium and the Mg is getting locked out.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Either cold conditions or overfeeding will do that. Too much Ca will lock out other nutrients as was mentioned, P being one of them. A p lockout will give you major purple stems and petioles.

Some strains are way more sensitive to this than others. Blueberry does it to me everytime.

geralds

geralds

I’m running 4 315w cmh lights. Strain is Stardawg a couple different phenos. I was using calmag + while In the height of the deficiency @4-5 ml. Now for maintenance I’ve been alternating between regular calmag and the plus @1.5-2 ml per gallon. My temps were at 76 but they weren’t happy with that. Now I run about 81-82 and they love it. But still I have some leaves here and there that look like mag def. my max feed has been 1.2ec but feed everyday at about 1.0 at least once sometimes twice a day. Runoff is in line. Should I bump the calmag dose?

N

nicolajanjak

the ec is fine but why this calmag ? .. if you work with tap water just use your hard water nutrients .. or you have soft version ?

geralds

geralds

Well the reason I’ve continued it was because I developed a deficiency without it. I’m growing in coco. wether I got the def from not enough mag or due to a lockout of mag, idk. All I know is I flushed then started feeding low strength with added calmag and it cleared up. (Most of the way)

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Hard purple stems are likely a combination of phosphorous (purple) and potassium (healthy strong flexible stems and branches) and too much calcium will start to lock those out.

geralds

geralds

I just meant ok you said P and K, but would I get that from not enough ,or being locked out? I’m guessing either way

MiteSuck

MiteSuck

Good thread. Dealing with a similar issue right now. I have ethos platinum cake right next to thug pug peanut butter breath.

The peanut butter breath are loving life at .3 ec camg while the platinum cakes have very small stems. The stems are green but I am still scratching my fucken head

SecretGardener

SecretGardener

I have never been able to find a solid cause for the purple stems. Here's a weird clue... One summer I grew identical clones indoor and outdoor. The indoor ones had purple stems, the outdoor ones had perfectly green stems. Used the same nutrients for both. Outdoor was in the earth, not pots.

Also, I have moved indoor plants with purple stems outdoor and plated in the ground, all the new growth had green stems.

Last edited:
MiteSuck

MiteSuck

I think mainly its genetics, along with stress .
Possibly under feeding I think is my scenario? Going to put that to the test tonight and up base nutes.... and pray.

Under feeding I suppose would fall under the stress category

kaka

kaka

Supporter
There are multiple reasons you can see solid purple stems, genetics are not one of them.
extreme root bound, severe under watering, untreated bug issues, and lack of calcium in their life.
Purple stems means you are torturing your plants. Stop abusing/stressing your plants.
want zero purple stems? try Nectar for the Gods Herc Harvest combined with their Olympus Up.

MiteSuck

MiteSuck

Well said ... purple stems means your torturing your plants lmao

MiteSuck

MiteSuck

stress ..
or genetic of course .. in this case not a problem

but i f plants look droopy, with clawed light green leaves and with these purple stems .. means the plant is stressed and will take minimum 1 week to recover in my case
What type of stress most commonly induced this in your opinion ?

Top Bottom