Can someone tell me the TRUE reason for hard purple stems?

• Thread starter geralds
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

TeW33zy

That early Mg deficiency probably didn't do you any favors on the purple problem. What light are you running and what is you strain? Most often I find that he purple comes along with to much calcium and the Mg is getting locked out.
FALSE, that is not why. Also, is there anyone here who has a Bachelors or Masters Degree in Biosystems or Algriculture that you know of?

Sr. Biosystems Engineer, Algriculture.

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

FALSE, that is not why. Also, is there anyone here who has a Bachelors or Masters Degree in Biosystems or Algriculture that you know of?

Sr. Biosystems Engineer, Algriculture.
Love it. Please explain why this happens and what remedies we have to correct.

T

TeW33zy

Hi guys, so this is my second grow with the same strain. On the last grow and this grow I’ve had purple streaking on my main branches, and solid purple on secondary branches that connect to main. The stems are so hard I can’t even crush them with my fingers to super crop. I had a pretty good mag deficiency earlier on and still see a few leaves here and there that show mag def, but overall most leaves are lush green. How can I fix this hard purple stem issue. Last grow wasn’t this bad.
I always say it, if you want to understand Algriculture you have to go ask someone who has a Degree in Algriculture. Asking people who have no engineering experience in that field will get you nothing but people guessing and giving you 50 different answers, who do you believe? Exactly, u don't know who is correct and who is false. First off, It's never genetics and if anyone ever say that again get far away from them. Purple Hard Stems is never a genetics trait. Go outside where it grows naturally and find one, it doesn't exist.

Now, purple hard stems is a result of a few things happening simultaneously. It's a result of stress from TO MUCH LIGHT, to high of ppdf or umols/m2. The plant can't photosynthesis all that light. Lets go back to its roots and let's evaluate this the correct way directly from a Master Engineer. A cannabis plant uses light, water and co2 then converts it into sugar and oxygen as waste. It stores the sugar for 12 hours then uses it when lights out. It's like carbohydrates for plants. Cannabis plants are phototrophic, meaning it can create its own organic nutrition unlike humans, we get ours from food, our bodies can't create calories and protein on its own. LED lights are very intense unlike natural sunlight at 1500 ppfd the plant does not struggle like 1500 ppfd of light indoor. Natural sunlight and the environment is much absorbing outdoors than indoors and there is no reflection on sunlight and the sun rotates, it's not fixed. When light is fixed it beams one direction 18 hours, it's to much. Plus the added reflection from the mylar tents, its to much. Outside the light goes back to the atmosphere, indoors the light goes left right back to the plant, its to much. The plant has no choice but to photosynthesis all that light, it runs out of Magnesium very fast. Magnesium is the center molecule that builds cloroplast in chlorophyll,
magnesium is the center atom. That's why it's always the first to run out, purple is mag deficiency. Adding Magnesium will not fix it if it's depleting from to much light. It can't build cloroplast fast enough to keep up with Chlorophyll production as mag is deplete. This causes the plant to heat stroke itself and the stems turn hard as a slow growth factor. It's protecting itself. To stop this get a ppfd meter and stay under 375 ppfd in Veg and under 700 in flower without Co2 supplement.

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

I always say it, if you want to understand Algriculture you have to go ask someone who has a Degree in Algriculture. Asking people who have no engineering experience in that field will get you nothing but people guessing and giving you 50 different answers, who do you believe? Exactly, u don't know who is correct and who is false. First off, It's never genetics and if anyone ever say that again get far away from them. Purple Hard Stems is never a genetics trait. Go outside where it grows naturally and find one, it doesn't exist.

Now, purple hard stems is a result of a few things happening simultaneously. It's a result of stress from TO MUCH LIGHT, to high of ppdf or umols/m2. The plant can't photosynthesis all that light. Lets go back to its roots and let's evaluate this the correct way directly from a Master Engineer. A cannabis plant uses light, water and co2 then converts it into sugar and oxygen as waste. It stores the sugar for 12 hours then uses it when lights out. It's like carbohydrates for plants. Cannabis plants are phototrophic, meaning it can create its own organic nutrition unlike humans, we get ours from food, our bodies can't create calories and protein on its own. LED lights are very intense unlike natural sunlight at 1500 ppfd the plant does not struggle like 1500 ppfd of light indoor. Natural sunlight and the environment is much absorbing outdoors than indoors and there is no reflection on sunlight and the sun rotates, it's not fixed. When light is fixed it beams one direction 18 hours, it's to much. Plus the added reflection from the mylar tents, its to much. Outside the light goes back to the atmosphere, indoors the light goes left right back to the plant, its to much. The plant has no choice but to photosynthesis all that light, it runs out of Magnesium very fast. Magnesium is the center molecule that builds cloroplast in chlorophyll,
magnesium is the center atom. That's why it's always the first to run out, purple is mag deficiency. Adding Magnesium will not fix it if it's depleting from to much light. It can't build cloroplast fast enough to keep up with Chlorophyll production as mag is deplete. This causes the plant to heat stroke itself and the stems turn hard as a slow growth factor. It's protecting itself. To stop this get a ppfd meter and stay under 375 ppfd in Veg and under 700 in flower without Co2 supplement.
Thank you.

So I understand correctly. If you push the plant too hard it will mag def on you because you're forcing it to photosynthesize faster than it can build cloroplast? Is there a limit in regards to light energy? I saw you post 700 as max ppfd but I've spoken to botanist that have said you can push up to 900 ppfd w/o CO2 as the upper range. I would imagine pushing them that hard would induce stress but are there other attributes that the plant expresses when it's stressed with high ppfd?

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter

Those ppfd numbers seem awfully low. I've comfortably run 600-800 ppfd in mid to late veg and 1100 ppfd in flower using both HID and LED with lush green stems, no added Co2 in a vented grow.
And why are you repeatedly calling it Algriculture?

B

Ballisticsuk

Hi guys, so this is my second grow with the same strain. On the last grow and this grow I’ve had purple streaking on my main branches, and solid purple on secondary branches that connect to main. The stems are so hard I can’t even crush them with my fingers to super crop. I had a pretty good mag deficiency earlier on and still see a few leaves here and there that show mag def, but overall most leaves are lush green. How can I fix this hard purple stem issue. Last grow wasn’t this bad.
Could be many things if youre using led it can be sunburn
Mag deficiency
Over nuting

Its usually a sign of stress

Genetically your room would need to be in the right temp range to bring the colours out so i think you can rule that out

Flush it through then refeed it. 0.2 ec lower for a few days with a dose of superthrive liquid oxy and calmag for good measure

If you using leds up 6 inches for the couple of days

You want to relieve any stress issues

B

Ballisticsuk

I get purple leaf stems veg and flower, I was pretty much under the assumption that it was mainly because led lights cuz most is on top side of stems and whatever is exposed to light the most
Sunburn lol the biggest problem inexperienced led users have

Homesteader

Homesteader

Purple stems are not genetic? What? Of course they are. Any plant that produces anthocyanin can produce purple plants and stems. You will not get purple stems from plants that do not carry the genetic mark. I don't really want to read this thread again but maybe I missed something.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Purple stems are not from Mg deficiency. What you are describing is lockout due to calcium, and the purple stems are from P being locked out. Mg is also locked out, along with other nutrients. You end up with multiple deficiencies when there's too much calcium.

Also, there is no differentiation here between petioles and stems. Yes, petioles of many strains turn red with exposure to strong light. It's nothing to be concerned about.

B

Ballisticsuk

Purple stems are not from Mg deficiency. What you are describing is lockout due to calcium, and the purple stems are from P being locked out. Mg is also locked out, along with other nutrients. You end up with multiple deficiencies when there's too much calcium.

Also, there is no differentiation here between petioles and stems. Yes, petioles of many strains turn red with exposure to strong light. It's nothing to be concerned about.
Except slow stunted growth which you def dont want during flower
Lol
This is 100% a light isssue it is caused if i remember by the plant needing more calcium due to the intensity of the light beam
Making it appear like a nutrient problem so most will start messing with nutes dropping the dose flushing etc causing more issues

Ive been here and done this. Exact issue i learned the hard way

If he was using hps then yes you are probably right but he isnt he is using a high intensity led light which brings along with it new issues never witnesed before

And is the main reason hps growers think led is dog shite

Homesteader

Homesteader

High intensity light is no different than low intensity just more photons. Create more photons and you need more CO2, water and nutrients to keep up.
The anthocyanin is able to be hit with high blues and red spectrums and therefore will show up on stems. It isn't sunburn or bad. It is genetic and most likely comes from Afghan indicas on the hybrid scale.
By having anthocyanin it seems the plant can absorb more light with a different process of using it than chlorophyll alone.

B

Ballisticsuk

High intensity light is no different than low intensity just more photons. Create more photons and you need more CO2, water and nutrients to keep up.
The anthocyanin is able to be hit with high blues and red spectrums and therefore will show up on stems. It isn't sunburn or bad. It is genetic and most likely comes from Afghan indicas on the hybrid scale.
By having anthocyanin it seems the plant can absorb more light with a different process of using it than chlorophyll alone.
Well after running same strain multiple times and seeing the difference the light height makes in growth i beg to differ mate

And many others are coming to the same conclusion as me now

Led has no regulation on anything so can be drastically different from manufacturer to manufacturer or even model by model.

Purple stems under led can be avoided fully and promte more vigourous growth if hung at the correct height 21 crops says so under an array of dif leds all ending up with same conclusion

But hey what does this guy know

B

Ballisticsuk

Well after running same strain multiple times and seeing the difference the light height makes in growth i beg to differ mate

And many others are coming to the same conclusion as me now

Led has no regulation on anything so can be drastically different from manufacturer to manufacturer or even model by model.

Purple stems under led can be avoided fully and promte more vigourous growth if hung at the correct height 21 crops says so under an array of dif leds all ending up with same conclusion

But hey what does this guy know
We tried messing with nutes temps airflow all that no difference 2 years we scratched our heads
Untill adjusting the light up and intense down

Once the nodes start to space out increase intensity the plant tells you what she wants you just have to read her right

Yeilds almost doubled and time in veg shortened by 2.5 weeks

So if you want to take longer and scratch your heads to a half size harvest then be my guest

Homesteader

Homesteader

Same strain different pheno. Same light and nutrients. one carries anthocyanin. Without the added pigment, high intensity light will stop chlorophyll production but not so with purple producing plant phenos.

Are AI bots able to get on the thcfarm? I may have to ask that elsewhere

IMG 20230401 092407811
IMG 20230401 092244976
Last edited:
1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
We tried messing with nutes temps airflow all that no difference 2 years we scratched our heads
Untill adjusting the light up and intense down

Once the nodes start to space out increase intensity the plant tells you what she wants you just have to read her right

Yeilds almost doubled and time in veg shortened by 2.5 weeks

So if you want to take longer and scratch your heads to a half size harvest then be my guest
so 3 grows under your belt but been practicing with one strain for 2 years?
Your full of shit and are about to be shown the door! Gods gift to growing!!
Seasoned veterans here with life times of grows under there belts on The Farm!
Your own words shows your full of it!!

Homesteader

Homesteader

I am not refering to anyone in particular but a member's post about AIgriculture got me wondering if some members on here are really OpenAI bots? Are we getting advice from echochambered AI brains?
https://www.agriculture.com/news/te...tgtp-will-revolutionize-agriculture-in-the-us

"If you knew nothing about agriculture, you would think ChatGPT’s predictions were pretty amazing. These predictions come across as very authoritative and knowledgable. But peel back the veneer and you find a kind of a word salad that sounds impressive, but lacks much depth or meaning. Most of these five points are just regurgitating the same concepts: data analysis and prediction."

Top Bottom