Can twilight promote bud growth?

• Thread starter PipeCarver
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I've noticed an unusual amount of growth in young flowering plants that have been getting a twilight of sorts. I have 2 SE3000 & a 1000w hps on separate timers and there is about 5 min difference between the 2 it was as much as 10 minutes where 2 led lights would come on first then the hps the same in reverse giving them a twilight. The buds at 3 weeks are much bigger than the same strain grown in the past.

I'm just wondering out loud here if there is any one that can confirm my observation or is this just a pipe dream?

Bad pic but at 3 weeks in flower I think this still shows what I'm talking about
Can twilight promote bud growth

Mudballs

Mudballs

Supporter
Maybe the infrared from the hps is helping some but I've never noticed anything from a twilight. I've noticed fluffy buds from low DLI during winter, but i think you just got everything going perfect, and they like it is all. Long wave red, infrared is known to boost growth.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Natural twilight has a lot of far red light in it, which is supposed to have something to do with a secondary photosynthesis pathway which increases yields. I don't think your setup would mimic it, unless there was a source of FR light.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Natural twilight has a lot of far red light in it, which is supposed to have something to do with a secondary photosynthesis pathway which increases yields. I don't think your setup would mimic it, unless there was a source of FR light.
They just seem to be a week ahead @ only 3 weeks. The 2 SE 3000 come on first and they're in the corners with hps centered. Its the first time with this set up and I'm liking the results so far....I'm having a hard time keeping them watered they're going through it so fast, I guess that's a good thing but it gives me more work hauling water. and getting it to room temp before I need to use it.

Anthem

Anthem

They just seem to be a week ahead @ only 3 weeks. The 2 SE 3000 come on first and they're in the corners with hps centered. Its the first time with this set up and I'm liking the results so far....I'm having a hard time keeping them watered they're going through it so fast, I guess that's a good thing but it gives me more work hauling water. and getting it to room temp before I need to use it.
Pipecarver you said it was the same plant you have ran before but in this post you are saying first time with this set up. perhaps the lighting has increased and you are seeing an increase from that.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Interesting question. According to Bugbee there is no positive or negative effects to immediate full light or full dark. He interprets this as cannabis does not need a dimmer on start or end of day, it just complicates things with no benefit.

That said, I agree that Far Red light can definitely impact plant morphology, both by triggering a faster hormonal sleep response, and via the Emerson Effect in slightly boosting growth. Far Red also triggers the plant to think it is in shade so it tries to grow sideways rather than up searching for direct sunlight.

I don't know if that is what is going on here, but interested to see what you figure out.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Pipecarver you said it was the same plant you have ran before but in this post you are saying first time with this set up. perhaps the lighting has increased and you are seeing an increase from that.
I have 9 under 2 lights and 3 in a tent under a Se3000 with the door open. all 9 plants sharing the hps & early on led light seem to be ahead of their age and I was wondering if there is something to this observation. This is the layout, the pic is about 3 weeks ago, they've grown a bunch since then....I'll take some pics at lights out.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I have 9 under 2 lights and 3 in a tent under a Se3000 with the door open. all 9 plants sharing the hps & early on led light seem to be ahead of their age and I was wondering if there is something to this observation. This is the layout, the pic is about 3 weeks ago, they've grown a bunch since then....I'll take some pics at lights out.View attachment 1246163
I took a couple of pics tonight.....These went into flower on the 26th of April

100 7447
100 7452
100 7454
100 7456
100 7457
Top Bottom