Can you buds help me with my curing situation?

• Thread starter GrimloxK
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
G

GrimloxK

Alright so to make a long story short, I have been drying my plant for about 5 days now and i'm about to chop them up into smaller buds for curing. Stems are bending but about a day away from snapping.

The problem is that I have to leave on some business for 2 weeks starting next week.

Would I be able to put my buds and cure them in a glass jar for 2 weeks without burping them? Anyone can lend me their expertise and how to go about this situation?

Right now I have about a week left before I leave.

Any advice appreciated.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I wouldn't do that. I would put them into paper bags, fold them over and leave them in an area that has stable temps and humidity levels. A pantry, cupboard, basement area's even better if you have it.

G

GrimloxK

Sea could you tell me the potential negative effects of not burping when curing?

I have about a week left and i'm gonna cut up my buds probably tonight. Would it be possible for me to paper bag them for the next couple days and then transfer them to a mason jar?

Or should I just paper bag them from now and wait until I get back from my business?

How would you approach this situation?

G

geoduck

paper bag them for a week, so that humidity level evens out from inside the buds

burping removes excess moisture, paperbagging serves the same purpose

then seal them ajar for 2 weeks. enjoy once you return from business trip

M

MIway

If you have a week, and it's been 5 days, you should be just fine.

What are your dry room temps & rh?

If your in the lower 70's & between 40~48%rh... then you should be fine hanging em for another several days, then bagging, then jarring... all in the next week, no prob.

Just so long as they aren't wet/damp/soft... you will be fine. 'curing' is the process where metabolic functions of the plant still take place, and ends a few days after the slow dry has begun... they should be fully dry before you jar, not wet enough where burping is necessary, imo. Semantics.

vaporedout

vaporedout

the last grow i had i wanted to try some fast so i put some in an old poptart box and put it in my pantry to dry faster and about a week later i remembered them and they were still a lil soft, not dry and crunchy yet...... dont know if it was because i just threw and 1/8 in there or if the cardboard box helped but definitely follow SEA's advice, she knows her shiet. if you dont burp you can get mold!!! all that work and time just to ruin it in a jar... ahh go do the paper bags, but make sure theres an even layer so you dont have buds sitting on top of each other. and i used to go from drying to jars, but now i do the bag thing in between, gives you a better tasting product IMO...
peace

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
if they are dry going into the jar they will be just fine

if they are left in a paper bag for 2 weeks they are gonna dry to shit

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Only if the ambient conditions where they're being stored are too dry, ml.
Sea could you tell me the potential negative effects of not burping when curing?
Simple: lack of airflow equals mold. Tis a sad, sad sight to see when you've finished your first pound!
I have about a week left and i'm gonna cut up my buds probably tonight. Would it be possible for me to paper bag them for the next couple days and then transfer them to a mason jar?

Or should I just paper bag them from now and wait until I get back from my business?

How would you approach this situation?
I'm not sure why people are married to Mason jars. They're not the best thing for storing, IMO/IME. Vacuum bags are best for long term storage, Mason jars allow the bud to dry out unless you can figure out a way to get it really sealed (vacuum sealing can be done w/Masons, using either heat or an attachment, at that point I say go with bags, they don't break).

I would paper bag them just before you leave, assuming they don't get too much dryer in the meantime. Remember, the golden RH number for curing is 60%-65% relative humidity. I store for months in paper bags and don't worry about mold like I would with jars. I like to do at least two months' cure before sealing up for good, as I've found things can really change during that time frame.

G

geoduck

marson jars are practical: easy to seal, see-through, odor proof and portable.

vacuum sealed plastic bags are nice; that's what them cartels use, good stuff, however not practical for small growers. those who distro it out to med patients, will have to break open the bags eventually.

i like top-shelf indoor meds that look colorful and fluffy, meaning no compacting them in vac seals, no curing longer than a month (sadly presentation is more important than other non-visual factors). packing them up loosely in mason jars, or turkey bags, is easy and simple it works.

G

GrimloxK

Hey buds I appreciate the advice thus far...i'm glad I made this thread.

I just went out and bought a Ball 1/2 gallon mason jar just in case.

I just want to throw this out there:

It is sort of inline with the poptart box, but I do have a quaker oats can which is made of cardboard material if you guys know what i'm talking about...would tossing my buds in this cardboard tin be of the same effect as paper bagging? Or should I just stay safe and get some paper bags?

As of right now I can def tell you guys that from feeling/squeezing my buds this morning I can tell you that they are def dry on the outside. My temps right now are around 80 degrees with 50% humidity in the drying room.

I'll be back later when I cut my buds up to give you a better idea of what my buds are looking like.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
hmm I like the quaker oats box idea - I buy my oats this way

which makes me think I should go make some peanut butter and banana oatmeal - YUM

lets see if it gets the Seamaiden stamp of approval though...

G

geoduck

poptart boxes work, quaker oats not as much...

find anything that have recycled paper which could absorb moisture:
manila grocery shopping bags, post office parcel boxes, paper lunch bags, packaging boxes;

G

GrimloxK

Hey guys I just wanted to give an update:

I spent about 3 hours last night trimming my buds...an experience that was truly grueling for a first timer.

I got around 2 ounces off my first plant...I even had to discard alot of my plant due to light burn.

BUT, I did put my buds into brown paper bags inside my grow cab with the inline fan on.

Should I fold the bags over or keep them open?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
marson jars are practical: easy to seal, see-through, odor proof and portable.
Yeah, see, I find them to be the opposite of practical. I find them to be clumsy to work with and around, don't want anything see-through, don't find them easy to seal (Tupperware is easier for me to get truly sealed up) and they're not terribly portable in my world when they're also quite breakable.

Has anyone seen those new plastic food storage containers that have this ring that you push down to seal? I saw them at Walmart yesterday, they look really cool, aren't breakable, are stackable (a feature both Mason jars *and* vacuum bags lack), come in several different size configurations and appear to do a much better job of sealing with the flick of a wrist than anything else I've seen of late. Now I can't remember the manufacturer or I'd post a link.
vacuum sealed plastic bags are nice; that's what them cartels use, good stuff, however not practical for small growers. those who distro it out to med patients, will have to break open the bags eventually.

i like top-shelf indoor meds that look colorful and fluffy, meaning no compacting them in vac seals, no curing longer than a month (sadly presentation is more important than other non-visual factors). packing them up loosely in mason jars, or turkey bags, is easy and simple it works.
Awesome, I'm a cartel grower! :giggle

If you simply press the button on the sealer before the bag has compressed down, the buds won't get compressed down or compacted. I also have found that buds dry out very quickly if you try to store them in turkey bags. I have much better results either storing in paper bags that have been placed in plastic bins (pre-trim) or in vacuum sealed bags (post-trim). The vacuum bags can be seen through, don't break, and are easily stored, especially for long term storage in a cool, dark place.
Everyone has to break open the bag eventually.

I spent about 3 hours last night trimming my buds...an experience that was truly grueling for a first timer.

I got around 2 ounces off my first plant...I even had to discard alot of my plant due to light burn.

BUT, I did put my buds into brown paper bags inside my grow cab with the inline fan on.

I think I posted my own recommendation up top. Two zips off your first try isn't too shabby at all, either.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Seamaiden;

There is no worries about plastic chemicals from those containers or vacuum bags transferring something to the buds?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Well, the vacuum bags are for food, so I would think (and do think) that if it's food-safe it's ganja-safe. Same with the bins. I've never had a complaint, either, just the opposite in fact (not to toot my own horn, toot toot).

Did you know that contractor bags, and any trash bag that hasn't been treated with an anti-odor or antimicrobial is chemically inert? I used to use them to line the trash cans when I mixed up very large batches of salt water.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter

I know man.. Im new and I hate trimming..

Good job on the 2 zip plant

Someone here told me "It's like frying an egg. Everyone has a little different way of doing it."

You will find your way....I am still finding mine. Threads like this one, with folks like seamaiden and help alot

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Well, the vacuum bags are for food, so I would think (and do think) that if it's food-safe it's ganja-safe. Same with the bins. I've never had a complaint, either, just the opposite in fact (not to toot my own horn, toot toot).

Yeah I hear ya. It's just that, Some folks think plastic isn't food safe

I really don't worry much bout that kind of thing though

But I know Beer taste much better in glass...and I don't think folks would buy Beer in a plastic bottle...

Just sayin...lol :)

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Good points, duly noted! Not sure how I would do a good job of getting away from the bags and not going back to (breakable--this is an issue) jars. Hmmmm....

That's why I like 'using' delicate organisms like corals, sharks, and the like as the proverbial 'canary in a coal mine' when it comes to these things. Generally, they're very easily killed by odd chemicals and chemistry, which makes them good first indicators of whether or not there's a problem. I figure if they live long term with exposure to a given substance then I'll probably be ok, too.

What are kegs lined with? When my husband brewed he quickly gave up bottling in favor of immediately kegging.

Top Bottom