can you defoliate during flowering?

• Thread starter shitwinds
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Nate_in_AK

Nate_in_AK

Mostly replying to say I dig your signature. šŸ˜Ž I've been doing only very minor defoliation during flower. Mostly trimming away any tiny popcorn upstart buds near the bottom, and occasionally clearing fan leaves that grow stacked on each other. Only the top leaf getting any light there anyway.

Rizla420

Rizla420

Mostly replying to say I dig your signature. šŸ˜Ž I've been doing only very minor defoliation during flower. Mostly trimming away any tiny popcorn upstart buds near the bottom, and occasionally clearing fan leaves that grow stacked on each other. Only the top leaf getting any light there anyway.
I try and keep them all on there but tuck them under so they still transpire gases and send those sugars up the stem the only time I take off fan leaves is because there dying and yellow then they can go in peace 420 I'm in first week of flower now follow my diary please

IMG 20210224 015733
Nate_in_AK

Nate_in_AK

I try and keep them all on there but tuck them under so they still transpire gases and send those sugars up the stem the only time I take off fan leaves is because there dying and yellow then they can go in peace 420 I'm in first week of flower now follow my diary please
I know literally jack shit about this, but find it interesting. I assume you're talking about CO2 processing? I thought I understood these plants had far more capacity for gas uptake than they could possibly need in a tent. This is what I thought drove people to add CO2 to their tents? So, I half-assedly reasoned that without CO2, all those fan leaves are unnecessary?

Rizla420

Rizla420

I know literally jack shit about this, but find it interesting. I assume you're talking about CO2 processing? I thought I understood these plants had far more capacity for gas uptake than they could possibly need in a tent. This is what I thought drove people to add CO2 to their tents? So, I half-assedly reasoned that without CO2, all those fan leaves are unnecessary?
Don't think too much just use good lights and organic nutes and pH to 6.2 the rest will come with time or with more googling lol nice to meet you

ReeferRon

ReeferRon

I do a light defoliation on week 2,3, and 5 flower. Like said above mostly that bottom larfy stuff, any leaves that are yellowing or already dyeing. Notice I said "light" defol.

I see some growers who just butcher their plants in early flower. I've tried those techniques years ago when I was a new grower (often over loving my plants) and have decided for my needs less defoliation is better in most cases.

I know there are growers who use the shwazzing methods with great success and some say they yield much more because of these drastic defoliation techniques. I even found this article on the subject and found it interesting. https://www.growweedeasy.com/schwazzing-cannabis

But just not for me. I grow some bushy, leafy ass plants that also have some big ole dense flowers. I make sure my flower room has lots of air moving under, through, and above the canopy so there is no need to defoliate for air flow in most cases. I keep my flower room packed with plants with a very low RH so as to not worry to much about mold and mildew. (Knock on wood.)

I think defol is tempting when your a new grower or you just have a couple plants. Once you have 20-30 plants to care for all of the sudden spending time defoliating more than needed don't seem so important. Or at least to me it don't.

Rizla420

Rizla420

I do a light defoliation on week 2,3, and 5 flower. Like said above mostly that bottom larfy stuff, any leaves that are yellowing or already dyeing. Notice I said "light" defol.

I see some growers who just butcher their plants in early flower. I've tried those techniques years ago when I was a new grower (often over loving my plants) and have decided for my needs less defoliation is better in most cases.

I know there are growers who use the shwazzing methods with great success and some say they yield much more because of these drastic defoliation techniques. I even found this article on the subject and found it interesting. https://www.growweedeasy.com/schwazzing-cannabis

But just not for me. I grow some bushy, leafy ass plants that also have some big ole dense flowers. I make sure my flower room has lots of air moving under, through, and above the canopy so there is no need to defoliate for air flow in most cases. I keep my flower room packed with plants with a very low RH so as to not worry to much about mold and mildew. (Knock on wood.)

I think defol is tempting when your a new grower or you just have a couple plants. Once you have 20-30 plants to care for all of the sudden spending time defoliating more than needed don't seem so important. Or at least to me it don't.
I agree bro but that swazzing technique is insane I pulled 507 grams from a 260w led with swazzing I won't be doing it this grow though because I want to see if I can pull bigger stronger more sugary buds with more fan leaves still attached time will tell but seems this grow using a HPS for flowering instead of cob Cree LEDs there's a huge difference already gonna be interesting stay tuned y'all happy 420

CFC7143

CFC7143

I did a heavier then usual defoliation two weeks into flower (way more then I ever have before) Iā€™ll let you know if it paid off for me here in a month or so. But as of now she is looking great and the defoliation to my suprise did not seem to shock the plant or hinder the growth in any way, atleast nothing I could notice. But we will see
3B254D62 0387 4E76 B0C4 A313CF4742EC

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Grow for lifešŸŒ±
Supporter
See my comments today on defoliation.

shitwinds

shitwinds

after reading the comments, i think i will stand pat on this one, and maybe do more defoliating on the next before i get into flowering........just trying to stay out of the plants way on this one.......thanks for the comments

Harvard

Harvard

I defoliate around day 21 week 3 of flowering just to allow light to hit the bottoms. Will take a few more over the next couple weeks. I never have any larf buds either, all nice buds from top to bottom.

Rizla420

Rizla420

I agree bro but that swazzing technique is insane I pulled 507 grams from a 260w led with swazzing I won't be doing it this grow though because I want to see if I can pull bigger stronger more sugary buds with more fan leaves still attached time will tell but seems this grow using a HPS for flowering instead of cob Cree LEDs there's a huge difference already gonna be interesting stay tuned y'all happy 420
Decided to add the cob Cree led to the 250w omega super HPS because I'm seeing that it's better to have a more full spectrum but having a HPS seems to be better already and I'm enjoying it alot a 250w HPS 2 of those cob Cree led that are 65w each actual draw outputs 100+ watts each and a side red and blue led 50w All together looks better had a lot of males in the grow that I took out but just left with all females except 1 gg4 turned male and the rest are gg4 females and OG Kush females so gonna be interesting genetics I'm gonna call it White OG Glue next grow gonna use just feminised seeds only but 8 to 9 weeks till harvest so looking forward to it with the new HPS and led hybrid setup all organics homemade nutrients mostly with a touch of the good stuff happy 420

IMG 20210228 203306
Dub_City405

Dub_City405

You can do whatever you want. But in flower the dont grow back. So pick wisely.

Latest posts

Top Bottom