Can you do u'r first grow with extra Fancy dirt and call it a day?

• Thread starter Cabi
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Cabi

Cabi

The frog is clearly happy. I can't imagine him wanting anything that isn't already in this bag, but I guess you all about to ruin that notion. Whatever. Let's hear it. 🙏
Can you do ur first grow with extra fancy dirt and call it a day

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

That will feed seedlings to young plants for up to 4 weeks and mature plants maybe 2 with water only.

Then its time to fertilize regularly. Its just a grow medium.

Ocean forest is betrer and feeds longer by a couple weeks but is still meant to be fertilized.

These are not water only “super soils”.

Cabi

Cabi

Oh and it needs at least 25% more large perlite mixed in for proper drainage.
That's really great advice. I have to ask something that's been rolling around in my head. I transplant all the time(regular plants) but with my first grow of a plant I have no experience with, I wondered two things. 1. Do I plant the seedling in whatever pot I believe the size of the plant could eventually grow into, adding nutrients as needed. Or 2. Start with the soil I've chosen and continue transplanting into larger and larger pots adding more of the already nutrient rich soil therefor eliminating extra amendments because the roots keep digging into fresh soil? Mind you. I am not apposed to adding nutrients. It's Just me thinking.

dire wolf

dire wolf

But start in pro mix or 50/50 pro mix and chosen soil , less chance of burning your delicate seedlings .....
Since you seem to be a perfectionist

dire wolf

dire wolf

Free tip
Get a hand mister or spray bottle , water your seedling with the mister so you get a controlled among of moisture and you won't overwater , the number one screw up of new growers , the gentle mist will not drown fragile seedlings ....
In a few weeks , maybe 3 you can just dump water in .....

dire wolf

dire wolf

Do whatever MIM , says , then do what I say ........... Then what MIM and I say

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

That's really great advice. I have to ask something that's been rolling around in my head. I transplant all the time(regular plants) but with my first grow of a plant I have no experience with, I wondered two things. 1. Do I plant the seedling in whatever pot I believe the size of the plant could eventually grow into, adding nutrients as needed. Or 2. Start with the soil I've chosen and continue transplanting into larger and larger pots adding more of the already nutrient rich soil therefor eliminating extra amendments because the roots keep digging into fresh soil? Mind you. I am not apposed to adding nutrients. It's Just me thinking.

I much prefer transplanting up from party cups to 1 gallon to 3 gallon in my space. I like a good dry cycle for the roots to really grow searching for nutrients and moisture all over each size pot to form a complete dense rootball at each phase. So i saturate the cups/ pots and let them dry out real light and repeat.

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
My favorite soil, hands down, (frog brand) it's what I use as a base soil, actually. Right now I've got the strawberry, because they were out. But I've used them all.

That said, I own 12 acres of virgin rainforest by Seattle, in the cascades. I should be digging my own dirt, from my land, but have access problems to overcome right now. I plan on making my own soon.

Bf4ebd45 b97f 4521 8239 ec244009a3e7 1eeafd73d3f14a0137baf1043a8775a79
Organic potting soil fx14000 64 1000
Last edited:
dire wolf

dire wolf

My favorite soil, hands down, (frog brand) it's what I use as a base soil, actually. Right now I've got the strawberry, because they were out. But I've used them all.

That said, I own 12 acres of virgin rainforest by Seattle, in the cascades. I should be digging my own dirt, from my land, but have access problems to overcome right now. I plan on making my own soon.
Those strawberry dudes look scary , hey frankster , do you start seedlings directly in these products ?

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
I did. Fox farm ocean forest. No visible signs of burn with my seedlings. But it’s strain dependent. Add 25% more perlite to prevent any burning.
Burnz

dire wolf

dire wolf

Yes , it's good stuff , you can choose to grow directly in pro mix and add nutrients , or you can do as I like to do occasionally , mix the pro mix and a nutrient rich soil like happy frog .
I like to do this for a few reasons , one is because I'm cheap , the other is because when the two are mixed I find with the addition of perlite like MIM said , it creates a nice drainage medium that's not too heavy .....
Straight fox farm is expensive and you will find yourself adding nutrients as the plant depletes the soil ......

dire wolf

dire wolf

I did. Fox farm ocean forest. No visible signs of burn with my seedlings. But it’s strain dependent. Add 25% more perlite to prevent any burning.
Burnz
Yes ,also my old habits stay with me , I have bales of pro mix , not that much access to fox farm where I am ........

And I usually go with natural composted manures etc so I like to dilute with the pro mix

Top Bottom