Can you harvest a plant a little at a time? I'm getting buds now that look finished but not sure she's done.

• Thread starter NCBuoy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
NCBuoy

NCBuoy

I was able to produce 3 females this year. All planted at times not too far apart. I don't know the names of 2 of them as they were bag seeds and the third is definitely a Durban Poison.(I cant freakin wait). So one of the three plants started showing sex in mid July which surprised me as I thought that was a bit early for my southern east coast hemisphere where I live. And I've always judged when to harvest a certain plant by how the hairs (sorry for my lake of proper terminology, I'm still a beginner) turned 75% red. I was taught by my growing mentor back in the 90's when we grew indoor that when your plant is 75% red she's at her peak and time to take her down to cure. Its worked for me every time I've harvested since then. So this year I've got one producing super early and some of the lower buds are turning all red. She is still producing a lot around the main stalk (or cola if that's still the right term and please correct me if I'm wrong) as I've included in the pics. Should I pick some of the buds that look done so she can concentrate on the new ones that she is still producing? Or should I just leave them alone for now. As much as I'm ready to try it out, I don't want to ruin what might be better if left alone. I included pics of the main Cola at the top and then some of the buds that are turning down near the bottom where there is less light getting to them. Let me know what you think and thanks in advance for any serious help. I cant wait for it to be legalized so that we can all break bad and grow our own to have better than we've ever had. I've never picked off of a plant all until the whole plant was ready to harvest. Thanks and may your buzz be crispy and mello! Much Love!
Top cola of 2021 plant
Bud from 2021
Top cola of 2021 plant
Top cola of 2021 plant
Bud from 2021
Bud2 of 2021
Bud3 of 2021

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
I was able to produce 3 females this year. All planted at times not too far apart. I don't know the names of 2 of them as they were bag seeds and the third is definitely a Durban Poison.(I cant freakin wait). So one of the three plants started showing sex in mid July which surprised me as I thought that was a bit early for my southern east coast hemisphere where I live. And I've always judged when to harvest a certain plant by how the hairs (sorry for my lake of proper terminology, I'm still a beginner) turned 75% red. I was taught by my growing mentor back in the 90's when we grew indoor that when your plant is 75% red she's at her peak and time to take her down to cure. Its worked for me every time I've harvested since then. So this year I've got one producing super early and some of the lower buds are turning all red. She is still producing a lot around the main stalk (or cola if that's still the right term and please correct me if I'm wrong) as I've included in the pics. Should I pick some of the buds that look done so she can concentrate on the new ones that she is still producing? Or should I just leave them alone for now. As much as I'm ready to try it out, I don't want to ruin what might be better if left alone. I included pics of the main Cola at the top and then some of the buds that are turning down near the bottom where there is less light getting to them. Let me know what you think and thanks in advance for any serious help. I cant wait for it to be legalized so that we can all break bad and grow our own to have better than we've ever had. I've never picked off of a plant all until the whole plant was ready to harvest. Thanks and may your buzz be crispy and mello! Much Love!View attachment 1160173View attachment 1160174View attachment 1160173View attachment 1160173View attachment 1160174View attachment 1160175View attachment 1160176
no where near finished.
it kinda looks like it started to reveg?
need some pictures that show more of the plant, you may have pest or mildew issues.

GreenMtnGuru

GreenMtnGuru

Dude what the heck.

Those buds have a month til you can even start to drool over them.

6 weeks til harvest. Minimum.

Also GNick raises an interesting observation. Are those plants exposed to artificial lighting at night? Even from you using a headlamp or turning on a porch light?

NCBuoy

NCBuoy

No sir. No artificial light at all. It's beside my Durban Poison which has turned out to be huuuuge. She maybe stealing more of the sunlight. All I can do is rotate her but I cant move her to a better location because of security. As far as any rot, I haven't seen any signs of it but I'll keep an eye out for it.

freezeland2

freezeland2

No sir. No artificial light at all. It's beside my Durban Poison which has turned out to be huuuuge. She maybe stealing more of the sunlight. All I can do is rotate her but I cant move her to a better location because of security. As far as any rot, I haven't seen any signs of it but I'll keep an eye out for it.
The first few pics are of a reveg’d plant, at some point during the grow anyway. I have it’s twin on my deck right now but it has finally reverted back to flowering. With all those tight leafs to the stock you are inviting bud rot.

Those buds are a long ways off to being harvested.

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
Second pictures looks like pests or thrip damage. Scope for pests, speciallly outside. Long time to go. Pistils will die back as the plant matures.

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
To answer your question, yes you can partially harvest. Plants normally ripen from the outside in. So when the outer most buds are fully ripened, you take them and give you the inner more immature stuff more time. The keywords here are, fully ripened. Being in the southeast, long time to go is probably not what you want to hear. But it is what it is and agree with the other guys about leaf problems. Get ready for a fight!

NCBuoy

NCBuoy

Second pictures looks like pests or thrip damage. Scope for pests, speciallly outside. Long time to go. Pistils will die back as the plant matures.
Thanks. You're exactly right. I found that I have bud rot as well. We had a long spell of rain from the hurricane and she got it. All that I knew to do was to cut out as much of the rot as possible. It wasn't too awfully much but it was enough to break my heart. Maybe I'll save some of it any way. I didn't see many pests with a magnifying glass but that doesn't mean they're not there.

NCBuoy

NCBuoy

To answer your question, yes you can partially harvest. Plants normally ripen from the outside in. So when the outer most buds are fully ripened, you take them and give you the inner more immature stuff more time. The keywords here are, fully ripened. Being in the southeast, long time to go is probably not what you want to hear. But it is what it is and agree with the other guys about leaf problems. Get ready for a fight!
I figured I had a while until harvest. I have now found that after all of this recent rain I have a flower rot problem now. Hmmmmph...

NCBuoy

NCBuoy

The first few pics are of a reveg’d plant, at some point during the grow anyway. I have it’s twin on my deck right now but it has finally reverted back to flowering. With all those tight leafs to the stock you are inviting bud rot.

Those buds are a long ways off to being harvested.
I did get bud rot after this long spell of hurricane rain we just got. I cut out as much as I could see. I lost a good bit but I can live with it if it doesn't grow back or get any worse. Also you say I should trim the bigger leaves and give it some breathing room so to speak? And if it ends up being a lost cause will it spread and ruin the whole plant? Which would mean harvesting immediately.

Latest posts

Top Bottom