Can you help a Hydro Homie?

• Thread starter Moe.Red
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Short version - on a nice grow 2 days into flower, I'm showing they both want cal-mag. I need a gut check that I am right because I'm finding it hard to believe.

IMG_0186.jpg

IMG_0187.jpg

IMG_0188.jpg

IMG_0189.jpg

IMG_0193.jpg

There are a ton of details I would want to be able to answer this question, if you don't mind it is just easier to do it in a video. Here is the short one I took with the highlights. If more info is needed, I'll post the long one.

So I just did a 60% water change with RO and I am down to 250 PPM 500 scale. I was at 650, and Cal Mag was the #1 ingredient by far. I've been ramping it up to see and it has not corrected.

This is only on 3 leaves, but it was not there yesterday as I did a full trim job and defoliation getting ready to drop the net and start scrogging tonight. There were hints of this issue prior to the defoliation, thus the added cal mag. I also brought everything up by 25% as well, but they do not seem hungry just deficient in one area.

My concern is that I have this misdiagnosed. I'd love some criticism from anyone. @mysticepipedon @Frankster @Aqua Man @Moshmen

I really need to get this sorted quick because I am testing in this tent and I don't want this to be a factor.

Oh yeah, environment is spot on for this plant which I have grown many times, these are both clones from a White Widow mom by Greenhouse Seeds.

1.jpg

CO2 @ 1200PPM

So, I have a clean res with just biologics in it. What would you add?

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
I would let it settle; and see if it self corrects; that's a difficult one. Looks almost like a calcium excess being pushed though the tips. Not sure; but that's a difficult call for me. It could be deficiency; but the location....

I got a feeling your RO might correct some of this.

Maybe some of the others got something to add; but I don't want to steer you wrong; and sometimes hydro presents a little different than roots in the ground; cause it's moving so rapidly.

Some fungicide. Sulphur or copper based. Not both tho.
Yea; I see what your saying there also; and have concerns; but I got a feeling something else is at play here.

My guess is no; it's and engagement/transpiration/fluid issue of some type. I think it's the same as the others; just presenting slightly different in that specific area...

Is there a lot of fluvic in that mixture?

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
Could be excessive sugar; or something along those lines also. You look to be in veg; so hopefully your not adding any of that yet.

2Bad

2Bad

I would let it settle; and see if it self corrects; that's a difficult one. Looks almost like a calcium excess being pushed though the tips. Not sure; but that's a difficult call for me. It could be deficiency; but the location....

I got a feeling your RO might correct some of this.

Maybe some of the others got something to add; but I don't want to steer you wrong; and sometimes hydro presents a little different than roots in the ground; cause it's moving so rapidly.

Yea; I see what your saying there also; and have concerns; but I got a feeling something else is at play here.

My guess is no; it's and engagement/transpiration/fluid issue of some type. I think it's the same as the others; just presenting slightly different in that specific area...

Is there a lot of fluvic in that mixture?
Looked like excess to me to since i've recently had the same issue @Aqua Man corrected that for me

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Looked like excess to me to since i've recently had the same issue @Aqua Man corrected that for me
It is possible. Funny how these things present themselves and sometimes they look similar if you have too much or too little.

Right now its sitting at less than half the strength it was an hour ago, I'll let it ride like that and see what she looks like tomorrow unless someone comes along with a great idea.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Short version - on a nice grow 2 days into flower, I'm showing they both want cal-mag. I need a gut check that I am right because I'm finding it hard to believe.

View attachment 1248162
View attachment 1248163
View attachment 1248164
View attachment 1248165
View attachment 1248166

There are a ton of details I would want to be able to answer this question, if you don't mind it is just easier to do it in a video. Here is the short one I took with the highlights. If more info is needed, I'll post the long one.

So I just did a 60% water change with RO and I am down to 250 PPM 500 scale. I was at 650, and Cal Mag was the #1 ingredient by far. I've been ramping it up to see and it has not corrected.

This is only on 3 leaves, but it was not there yesterday as I did a full trim job and defoliation getting ready to drop the net and start scrogging tonight. There were hints of this issue prior to the defoliation, thus the added cal mag. I also brought everything up by 25% as well, but they do not seem hungry just deficient in one area.

My concern is that I have this misdiagnosed. I'd love some criticism from anyone. @mysticepipedon @Frankster @Aqua Man @Moshmen

I really need to get this sorted quick because I am testing in this tent and I don't want this to be a factor.

Oh yeah, environment is spot on for this plant which I have grown many times, these are both clones from a White Widow mom by Greenhouse Seeds.

View attachment 1248170

CO2 @ 1200PPM

So, I have a clean res with just biologics in it. What would you add?
Give me about an hour and ill pop back by on brother

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Try a temp of 75-78f for a few days and see how it responds. Use 1/4 to 1/2 dose cal mag and 1/2gram per gal of mag sulfate. Then add 300 ppm of nutrients to your numbers.

Are you seeing a ph swing? Adding any buffers?

New lights? I would also lower tye intensity until resolved.

Did you increase by 1/3 intensity at flip? If so that should be done gradually.

New genetics to you? Some are kuch more finicky than others

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Try a temp of 75-78f for a few days and see how it responds. Use 1/4 to 1/2 dose cal mag and 1/2gram per gal of mag sulfate. Then add 300 ppm of nutrients to your numbers.
I'll do this in the morning, just wanna see what they look like first.

Are you seeing a ph swing? Adding any buffers?

Pretty solid 5.5 - 6.1 is max swing. PH Up, down, and potassium silicate at the start of the run as a buffer but not in the last 3 weeks.

New lights? I would also lower tye intensity until resolved.

Did you increase by 1/3 intensity at flip? If so that should be done gradually.

New genetics to you? Some are kuch more finicky than others
No, no, and no. If you recall that White Widow from the UVB testing thread, same genetics I've been running and stressing for years. I have a really good feel for the limits, at least I thought I did. I have not had this issue before, I'm uncertain what has changed.

EDIT: I'll get PPFD measurements tomorrow and post. You will probably like the Far Red PPFD thing.

I'd love to hear back from @Ponky if you think this is a fungus. I'm happy to put this plant under a microscope or whatever. I keep everything very clean, sterilize cutting tools, the whole thing and I have never had a bug. But I do have fungal haven on the other side of the basement growing mushrooms, so transfer of a parasite is not out of the question. It could explain a lot actually.

Last edited:
Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Hey, I appreciate all the help growmies. I'll put them to bed now and we'll see what tomorrow brings.

Ponky

Ponky

I'll do this in the morning, just wanna see what they look like first.

Pretty solid 5.5 - 6.1 is max swing. PH Up, down, and potassium silicate at the start of the run as a buffer but not in the last 3 weeks.

No, no, and no. If you recall that White Widow from the UVB testing thread, same genetics I've been running and stressing for years. I have a really good feel for the limits, at least I thought I did. I have not had this issue before, I'm uncertain what has changed.

EDIT: I'll get PPFD measurements tomorrow and post. You will probably like the Far Red PPFD thing.

I'd love to hear back from @Ponky if you think this is a fungus. I'm happy to put this plant under a microscope or whatever. I keep everything very clean, sterilize cutting tools, the whole thing and I have never had a bug. But I do have fungal haven on the other side of the basement growing mushrooms, so transfer of a parasite is not out of the question. It could explain a lot actually.
I usually end up losing my plants that get fungus. And sometimes they do the same thing in my clones. They die within 4 days. So I've not succeeded in killing it. And I'm not even sure it's septoria. But I'm pretty sure it's systemic fungus of some kind.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

I usually end up losing my plants that get fungus. And sometimes they do the same thing in my clones. They die within 4 days. So I've not succeeded in killing it. And I'm not even sure it's septoria. But I'm pretty sure it's systemic fungus of some kind.
Well shit. I’ll do some research maybe I can see it with a microscope?

Ponky

Ponky

Well shit. I’ll do some research maybe I can see it with a microscope?
I just sort of go by texture. Black, tan white or Grey and soft or crispy. I assume fungus. If the leaf is like dry or crinkly a d yellow with black dots I lean more toward deficiency or in the case of soil over watering. If its black and floppy I'd say fungus. But I just guess really.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

With that said it may have been corrected already as what you are seeing is likely results of something from 5 -14 days ago. Transplant maybe? Think back during that time period if you had any issues

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Yup all in that tent with its own res

Lights were not on yet when I left for work so I’ll provide an update tonight.

I have pics and records from when I moved the clones over but it all went like normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom