Can you prune TOO MUCH?

• Thread starter sweetolmaryjane
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

sweetolmaryjane

Hello i have 9 or 10 plants and some of them i puned 2 weeks ago and the bushed back out...i didnt take all the leaves of but i pruned it again and took quite a bit off the plant They still look healthy and still have leaves, but i guess my question is how long should i keep pruning...does it REALLY help my yield a bunch...and can a plant be TOO YOUNG to prune?

S

sweetolmaryjane

ok, but pruning IS important right. I was told more nodes with grow and it wi increse yield. i have been told this by a few experienced growers

Intense

Intense

Of course, pruning is good. Leads to bushier plants which leads to more buds. But if you prune too much, you will stunt the growth. If you allow for sufficient time between prunes for the plants to regenerate, then you'll be fine. Just have to keep it growing strong and producing ample leaves to provide is with energy.

Intense

Intense

Keep in mind that plants have a limited growth rate. When you prune, two shoots will grow from the node below the point where you can cut it, but it's not growing twice as fast as a result. So if you over prune, the plants will be directly energy to every branch, but at a much reduced rate of growth, hence slowing them down overall.

S

sweetolmaryjane

Good points and thank you for your response. 1 question. how many times would you prune a single plant during its entire veg cycle...and how long is long enough between prunes?

L

lilpigpig

1 time in veg is enough. especially for those who veg from 2-4 weeks. I usually prune right before the switch to bloom cycle. I will prune again at end of week 3 and maybe again at week 6-7. This iis for gdp and some OG hybrid that I have. Every strain is different especially if its a sativa or indica.

nebulius

nebulius

Intense pretty much summed it up, but here's my 2cents:) .

Pruning has it's benefits when you have limited space or a limited number of plants. I think pruning is a good idea when growing outside and sometimes a good idea growing inside.

The goal of pruning is to get a higher yield. When you are growing inside you are really pushing the plant to grow in a limited amount of time. Pruning will delay growth some and if you don't account for that delayed growth by extending your veg. cycle you could reduce yield.

If you don't have space or plant limits I wouldn't prune, just add more plants.

Leaves store the vital nutrients a plant needs so pruning too much can be a bad thing. I remember reading somewhere to never prune more than 20% foliage in a short time. It will most likely shock the plant and delay growth.

I usually FIM once in veg. and add an extra week to my veg. cycle for my plants to recover from FIM.
good luck.

cephalopoda

cephalopoda

leaves also happen to have the energy producing machinery of the plant in the - the chloroplasts. the more you remove leaves, the slower that energy production will be and the slower the recovery time.

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
I usually FIM every top once in veg also. This round I FIM'ed a second time on every top that was created by the first FIM. Not sure which I will like more. The 1x formed a nice dense V. The 2x is much leggier which will be good for light penetration.

outwest

ttystikk

ttystikk

Hello i have 9 or 10 plants and some of them i puned 2 weeks ago and the bushed back out...i didnt take all the leaves of but i pruned it again and took quite a bit off the plant They still look healthy and still have leaves, but i guess my question is how long should i keep pruning...does it REALLY help my yield a bunch...and can a plant be TOO YOUNG to prune?

This is an excellent question, one that if it leads to good techniques can impressively increase the yield of your plants grown indoors. The short answer, misleading though it may be, is 'yes.' It certainly is possible to overprune. However, I also disagree with those who say less is always better.

A thread I started on this topic: Topping and Training Tech for Yields and Quality

The bottom line is to begin with the end in mind, a lot like chess. If all you do is randomly move your pieces around, a player who knows the goal of attrition of the opponent's forces, leading to checkmating your King will crush you in short order. So it is with topping, training, pruning, whatever you want to call it.

The goals are these: increase budding sites, shape the plant to best utilize the available environment(usually lighting placement is the deciding factor), reduce possibility of disease attacks.

To increase budding sites, you top, or 'FIM', although the two are nearly indistinguishable. You can also 'supercrop', which is merely bending the topmost dominant branches until they break over, which then supplies more nutrients to the buds directly beneath. Keep in mind that these are all techniques to gain the ultimate goal of increasing budding sites; I use them all as appropriate, to gain the number of sites I seek.

To best utilize the available environment, first you need to make a choice; if outdoors, little of this matters, as the plant is already evolutionarily equipped with the tools to maximize its growth outside. If inside, you need to train the plant to best use the light source. If your lights are above, then you need to top, bend and train the plant so it presents a broad, roughly level top surface to the light source. ScrOG is a good approach to do this, especially as it provides a guide to the grower to help him/her level the canopy and present the most effective surface to the bulb. You do not want a single- or a few- tall spires of growth, as they will grow too close to the bulb, injuring themselves and shading the rest of the plant. If the light source(s) are to the sides, as in 'vertical' style grows, then you need to ensure the plant grows well in all directions to take maximum advantage of the light placement.

To reduce disease, you'll want to remove a lot of undergrowth; the spindly, larfy, weak, pale stuff that never amounts to good quality yield and takes up nutrients the plant could be better using in the canopy above. This understory removal is often called 'lollipopping', as the visual evokes resembles the plant a bit; bare stalks reaching up into a layer of lush, bushy canopy ideally situated to get the best use of the indoor light.

The key is less about 'how much' to prune- the answer here is simple; 'as little as possible to achieve your goals'- and more about what you want your plant to look like once it's done and ready for harvest. Good topping and training practices will prompt the careful grower to do some of this early, as mentioned in my thread, some a little later, and even some- especially 'lollipopping' or understory removal, in early flower.

This takes time and experience, which comes from practice and knowlege of the specific growth characteristics of the strains and phenos you're growing..

Chobble

Chobble

Keep in mind that plants have a limited growth rate. When you prune, two shoots will grow from the node below the point where you can cut it, but it's not growing twice as fast as a result. So if you over prune, the plants will be directly energy to every branch, but at a much reduced rate of growth, hence slowing them down overall.
You can over prune. Do it too much and the plant will be wasting energy on trying to regenerate.

I used to be like this :P

If the marijauna plant is left with nothing but little tiny leafs on a stem, It will grow. The plant is resilient and has amazing regenerative abilities.

The Vigor and strength of our plant is almost unmatched. When topping or FIM'in I always make sure that my plants root systems are fully developed. Especially outdoors, where Ill top my plant 10-20 times in one day.

A sign that you can top again is when your plant continue's to grow business as usual.

Chobble

Cannasoir

Cannasoir

What about pruning during flowering?? I am in my fifth week of flowering and my timers messed up and ended up leaving my lights on for 24 hours. I gave the plants 24 hours of dark afterwards to give them rest and to make sure they staid in veg mode. and then gave a heavy water and pruned all the leaves that got burnt. they were all large fan leaves, It was my first time really pruning them.

jyip

jyip

New
ok, but pruning IS important right. I was told more nodes with grow and it wi increse yield. i have been told this by a few experienced growers

question? who would be healthier? a person without any slices and cuts all over his body or a perosn without any knife wounds slicing and dicing him uP?? no cuts, no infections, blood loss, etcc... right?? pretty simple huh? then why does everyone wanna butcher their plants when they do it without cutting em up ina stoned knifefight?? bend and tie em, is the way to go IMHO, cuz no open wounds to catch diseae, ur not losing your energy stores in the fans, but yes, i beleive ya need to loolipop em to get em healthy down lo, but that is it , no more cutting mr sciccorhands, u will do better like that, really​

jyip

jyip

What about pruning during flowering?? I am in my fifth week of flowering and my timers messed up and ended up leaving my lights on for 24 hours. I gave the plants 24 hours of dark afterwards to give them rest and to make sure they staid in veg mode. and then gave a heavy water and pruned all the leaves that got burnt. they were all large fan leaves, It was my first time really pruning them.​
not sure what ur askin or why leaves r burnt ?? the light thing i wouldnt sweat much, itll b lika small reveg n u get some foxtails is all, r u sayin after 5 weeks of flowering this mistake happened n now ur goin veg em again>??huh?? i wouldnt do that

Cannasoir

Cannasoir

no haha sorry for the confusion. My main question was is it ok to prune this late in flowering? After the timers messed up and they got intense light and heat for 24 hours straight. Some of the leaves had started curling and drying up.

Intense

Intense

I wouldn't prune while flowering. What would it achieve? The plants are no longer vegging, so if you prune it, all you'll be doing in cutting off buds or potential buds.

Cannasoir

Cannasoir

I wouldn't prune while flowering. What would it achieve? The plants are no longer vegging, so if you prune it, all you'll be doing in cutting off buds or potential buds.

ok I am a little confused,
How will pruning the big fan leaves be me cutting off buds or potential buds?
I have heard of people pruning the large fan leaves for the buds to get more light.

Latest posts

Top Bottom