Cannabis and pets

• Thread starter inthegorge
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
inthegorge

inthegorge

I did a cursory search and did not find a thread but I can't imagine there is not one here yet so I probably missed it. Has anyone had any experience with seizure disorder in dogs and treatment with cannabis? I have a 10 year old shepherd and he is my closest friend. He was a rescue dog and we got him when he was around 4ish but who knows for sure as he was a stray. He had his first seizure with us after about 7 months and we took him to the vet, had a bunch of bloodwork which showed nothing unusual and since he did not have any more right away the vet said just watch and see if he has anymore. He has had I think in the 6 years he has been with us. First, second and third I took him to the vet but each time they did extensive blood work and nothing untowards was revealed so they still said not to worry and just keep an eye on him so did not take him to the vet the last 4 times until last week when he had a really severe grand mal seizure that was agonizing to watch. Took him to the vet and still nothing out of the ordinary in his blood work but now they want to start him on Phenobarbitol which he will never come off of...will have to take for the rest of his life.

My question is has anyone ever treated their dog with seizure disorder with cannabis? I could give him few drops of weed/olive oil on his home made food twice a day and I think that would be much better for him than Phenobarbitol but just wondered if anyone has any experience using weed products on their dogs?

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
I dont know much but,
Our Great Dane mix has arthritis (she's old) We gave her a half of what my wife takes to sleep at night
The dog couldnt walk...and didnt really want to walk..
Wasnt the result I was hopping for...i wanted to see her walk better..
Instead we got her all fucked up and I dont think she liked it really
we havent tryed again..

We have a cat that has had seizures in the past...He will eat pot leaves every chance he gets..
I let him eat the males :woot:
And he hasn't had a seizure in a long time now (over a year)

I say try it for sure...but not too much at first!

inthegorge

inthegorge

I would just use a few drops of my own homemade olive oil. I make them homemade food every day already and put a little regular oil on it already but maybe starting with like 4-5 drops at first and see how it goes? He is a BIG shepherd, right at 121 lbs so that would not be much for that body weight probably....? I put 3/4 cup in a batch of brownies and everyone not familiar with my particular brownies has couch lock for a number of hours. That is for probably 10 doses of brownies so 4 drops is not very much. Of course I do not want him to have couch lock or even any way get high but this last seizure was just horrendous and I used to be an RN and have seen many in humans:-((( I just don't want to see my gorgeous guy go through that ever again!

PButter

PButter

RUN!!!
Supporter
cannabis can be pretty highly toxic to canines. No human has ever od'd to death- dogs do it all the time. some dogs can take a little others cannot take it at all.

mayonnaise

mayonnaise

A close friend of ours has a lab that has had seizures for years and he has experimented with some light edibles and the old blow a little in his face technique. It doesn't seem to give much in the way of relief. His dog has been on phenobarbital for years and it has been the only thing that has kept it in check. If you do have any good results using oils, etc please update the thread because my friend would be very eager to try other methods.

inthegorge

inthegorge

That would of course not be the outcome I was hoping for:-( Exactly why I am looking for anyone that might already be using it for their dog. I have posted on a couple of other boards much more focused on the medical aspect of cannabis so we will see if anyone gives me any advice with any experience:-/

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
cannabis can be pretty highly toxic to canines. No human has ever od'd to death- dogs do it all the time. some dogs can take a little others cannot take it at all.
long time ago a buddy of mine was asked to put the kitchen garbage in the main garbage in the garage which had a big can in it. He was baked and just set the bag onto the ground without realizing there was a huge can in there for plastic bags of garbage to be put into. Well we went out to an outbuilding, came in an hour or so later and the dog had gotten into the garage and torn through the bag, it had fish bones, old brownies that I had just thrown out half since we were making fresh ones that night...dog ate it all. She puked up a lot that night on my bed, and the whole next day she stood in a trance and just stared at the speakers in the living room. She was listening to music, scratch that she was FEELING the music. She recooperated and came out fine. Was scary as it was a huge mess of potent brownies and fish bones...the worse...

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
I'm looking into making an edible for her nowadays as she is old school. But I feel you gotta really factor in their weight and not give them to much as edibles can be really uncomfy for 200lb humans. So, if you factor in dosage rate of an avg smoker and say cut that into half and half one more time, you might have a safe dog dosage. This is in no way a rec...just thinking...as I see the smoking help my dog. You gotta get it through the ear. I torque a rip sometimes and then leave it all milky and take out the bowl and blow on the bowl down stem to blow all the virgin smoke into the dogs ear. 1-2 of those and her eyes redden up and she seems to lay for longer on the couch and seems comfy. Atleast I think she does...lmao

kes54800

kes54800

I would say a high CBD strain would be your best bet for seizures. Just an opinion

I love german shepards. Thats is the only breed of dog my family ever owned. My father recently got a first born male pure bred champion bloodline about 5-6months ago. Such a beauty!

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
super low doses and plenty of water available...the dog should be well hydrated before toking..

PButter

PButter

RUN!!!
Supporter
That would of course not be the outcome I was hoping for:-( Exactly why I am looking for anyone that might already be using it for their dog. I have posted on a couple of other boards much more focused on the medical aspect of cannabis so we will see if anyone gives me any advice with any experience:-/
Cannabis IS toxic for Canines. Truth is we don't know what the effect is on our pups other than at a certain point there is an overdose. We don't know if the dog is having a blast listening to music or if we have just given the dog a chemical lobotomy. If you are going to dose your dog- do it with smoke- not edibles.

Just my two cents.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Smoke in the ear! Thats exactly how we used to get my friends dog (Black lab) high when I was a teenager!
lots of vessels in the ear!
That lab would chace his tail in the curtain evrry single time we got him high.
He Never failed us! :woot:

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Smoke in the ear! Thats exactly how we used to get my friends dog (Black lab) high when I was a teenager!
lots of vessels in the ear!
That lab would chase his tail in the curtain every single time we got him high.
He Never failed us! :woot:

Last edited:
baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
Cannabis IS toxic for Canines. Truth is we don't know what the effect is on our pups other than at a certain point there is an overdose. We don't know if the dog is having a blast listening to music or if we have just given the dog a chemical lobotomy. If you are going to dose your dog- do it with smoke- not edibles.

Just my two cents.
I wouldn't smoke my dog out in her early years and she didn't like the smoke. Now in her ancient age she seems to come around and be there when the smoke is going and likes it.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter

Just my two cents.
Better safe than sorry...
I have to agree..I wont dose my dog again with edibles ..not with bubba kush anyway
I might smoke some with the old girl though! :)

PButter

PButter

RUN!!!
Supporter
at least with the smoke if your dog comes hanging around when the joint is lit you can with some certainty say- she likes it.

A dog in my hood last year first ate some dope and got really ill- couple days at the vet and big dollars. Then just weeks later, same dog mind you, ate some and straight died. Sucks big time.

Top Bottom