Cannabis, Calcium, BER (blossom end rot), Tomatoes and FF Ocean Forest

• Thread starter IamN2pot
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
I

IamN2pot

I've been growing my pot in soil for years and have, for years, thought that the leaf 'burn' I always see towards the last half of bloom was a Potassium deficiency, although adding additional 'bloom' fert didn't really help. Fast forward to this winter. The wife and I decided to have a small, 2x4 tent, veggie garden in the spare bedroom, so I planted tomato, bell pepper, cilantro, kale and spinnach, all in FF Ocean Forest. I also used FFOF with my Subcool's super soil for my pot plants.
Now I've had BER on tomatoes I grew outside in the ground and am ammending the soil accordingly for this years planting, but I never dreamed that I would have a worse problem with FF soil than with the dirt in my yard. A few weeks into the tomatoes set, I discovered the awful truth. All the tomatoes and most of the peppers had BER. Know what cause BER in tomatos and peppers? Calcium deficiency! Yes, I know there can be other factors, but far and away, the #1 factor is Calcium deficiency. Google it!
All that time I was mistaking a Calcium deficiency for a Potassium deficiency! Amazing what I 'think' I've learned from our veggie garden, planted in 100% FFOF and with a majorly serious Calcium issue. And before you ask, it's even worse because these plants were all watered with city water, filtered (chloramine removal) and pH'ed to 6.0-6.3 with Absorbic acid (vit C) and test in the 120ppm range before any nutes are added.
So with just around 6 weeks in on the tomatoes and 9ish weeks on the pepper picture, well, you can see for yourself. Needless to say, I expect to be adding additional Dolomite lime to my soil mix for my next pot grow.
And now, in the interest of the whole truth, I took some dolomite lime and added some white vinagar to release the calcium and proceeded to overdose them on calcium, .... because sometimes I'm a lugnut, just ask my wife. 😄😃😁🤣 👍 Anyway, after a couple flushes to lower the Calcium, I wound up with the tomatoes in the last picture. We've been enjoying fresh Jan and Feb tomatoes since.
Please feel free to comment and leave recomendations and thoughts. This is how I learn!!!

Cannabis calcium ber blossom end rot tomatoes and ff ocean forest
Cannabis calcium ber blossom end rot tomatoes and ff ocean forest 2

Cannabis calcium ber blossom end rot tomatoes and ff ocean forest 3
Cannabis calcium ber blossom end rot tomatoes and ff ocean forest 4

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Move to the midwest, where our tap water is already dosed with cal/mag!

Tomatoes seem to be more of a calcium hog than cannabis. I have to supplement calcium for my tomatoes, but if I do that for cannabis, I get lockout.

I

IamN2pot

Does Colorado qualify as midwest? Hahahaha!!! 👍 That's what makes this even more perplexing. I got lock-out on the tomatoes (and peppers) from my over enthusiasm and thus the double flush, a week apart. At least I got rid of the BER. LOL!!! Amazingly, it didn't seem to effect the kale, spinnach or cilantro, at least not noticably. They just kept on growing like nothing happened.

BigBlonde

BigBlonde

We love good tomatoes and have been considering growing them in a tent. So I'll be following this thread.

The source of the water matters. Water sourced from deep wells tends to have more dissolved minerals because of the long contact time the water has with the ground. Water sourced from rivers, on the other hand, tends to have few dissolved minerals.

K

KenKenaf

Cannabis takes up calcium easy and struggles with potassium, completely opposite of vegatable crops. The only useful K in bloom are acetate and citrate. A pk booster won't cut it.

If you had calcium deficiency, the leaves around your buds would be curled down. Leaf tips old enough to turn necrotic are not new growth on Cannabis. Calcium deficiency is rare in Cannabis, and is typically corrected by boron, not calcium, applications. Applying excess calcium to Cannabis will cause unwanted complexes to build in exogenous tissue, and will lock out a buffet of other nutrients.

Anthem

Anthem

Cannabis takes up calcium easy and struggles with potassium, completely opposite of vegatable crops. The only useful K in bloom are acetate and citrate. A pk booster won't cut it.

If you had calcium deficiency, the leaves around your buds would be curled down. Leaf tips old enough to turn necrotic are not new growth on Cannabis. Calcium deficiency is rare in Cannabis, and is typically corrected by boron, not calcium, applications. Applying excess calcium to Cannabis will cause unwanted complexes to build in exogenous tissue, and will lock out a buffet of other nutrients.
Are you sure you are not @Zill or @Trixie with just another screen name because you are spewing BS like these two.
Going to tag in @Aquaman. Maybe he can clean up some of your mess.

Anthem

Anthem

Are you sure you are not @Zill or @Trixie with just another screen name because you are spewing BS like these two.
Going to tag in @Aquaman. Maybe he can clean up some of your mess.
Sorry this was for @Aqua Man

Top Bottom