Cannabutter Rendering Inquiry

• Thread starter WoahSkittles
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
W

WoahSkittles

Hi there,

If one makes cannabutter is it beneficial to put the the plant material through a second rendering process? Will more thc be extracted or is it a waste of time?

TIA

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
Hi there,

If one makes cannabutter is it beneficial to put the the plant material through a second rendering process? Will more thc be extracted or is it a waste of time?

TIA
Just cook it for a long time the first time... Some clarify it with a water bath and second straining

IMG 20180722 065624 407
W

WoahSkittles

Very pretty! Thanks for the response. That is the process that was used. Have you heard if a water bath and second straining yield a more potent butter? I can't seem to find any literature on the on the method.

GT21

GT21

I like soup
Supporter
Very pretty! Thanks for the response. That is the process that was used. Have you heard if a water bath and second straining yield a more potent butter? I can't seem to find any literature on the on the method.
A second strain cleans all the plant shit out. A water bath.. Youll notice the water turns green. I throw it in a slow cooker over night no need for second go.

S

Simplicio

Hi there,

TIA

The most efficient thing is to use whole, decarbed herb powder, which makes use of 100% of the thc.
Strained butter/oil is typically 30-60% efficient at extracting thc.
https://www.leafly.com/news/science...abis-edibles-why-its-nearly-impossible-to-cal
Strained 190 proof ethanol tinctures/feco make use of 90%+ of the thc.
Here's my favorite baking process:

1. Decarb the herb @ 240 F for 40 min using a verifying thermometer. Oven settings are unreliable.
2. Grind to fine powder.
3. Add the herb and approximately the same weight of lecithin to the oil of any recipe, and heat briefly until the lecithin dissolves.
4. Bake using the minimum possible time and temp, because too much more heat can reduce potency slightly. I bake for about 10 min @ 350 F in mini-muffin trays.

How much herb to use depends on tolerance.
New users might need only 10 mg thc, but tolerant users might need more than 100 mg.

Each gram of herb used will supply about 150 mg to the finished product.

For example, I make small cookies for friends so that each cookie contains 1/4 g herb, which will supply about (0.15)*(250 mg) = 38 mg THC. Their low tolerance allows them to eat about 1/4 cookie, but some people might need several.

16 brownies is a common number for a box mix, and if you wanted to make these approximately 40 mg thc cookies/brownies, then you'd only need to use 4 g herb.

Whole herb does bother some stomachs though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom