Cannibus Drying?? Not enough humidity and have read everywhere that you should not put a humidifier in grow tent??? what do i do

• Thread starter KautzmanKush
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
KautzmanKush

KautzmanKush

Hi, I have a seperate 2x4 grow tent for drying and I am curious of what to do to add humidity. I live in a desert region and the humidity is extremely low and I have put a lot of money into growing good quality weed. Not too sure what to do and really need some help. I heard that adding a humidifier is bad and since it is a small grow tent I do not want to risk that. I thought about getting a reptile fogger but still do not know if they're is better options. I was also thinking a humidity controller connected to an evaporative humidifier might be an option. My final option was getting a large reservoir filling it with water and putting it at the bottom of the grow tent then constantly venting so there is no smell and not too much humidity. If anyone knows please let me know.

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Grow for life🌱
Supporter
I’m in a dry climate as well. I use ultrasonic humidifier for drying. Run a dehum as well so it doesn’t get much above 60%

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I highly doubt humidity level alone is the problem. Need pics and info to help evaluate.

but the best way to humidify a grow tent is to have a whole house or room wick humidifier and just keep the whole environment the tent is in at 45-60% rh.

better for people’s health too. I run a 6 gallon 2500square foot humidifier all winter here in Michigan. House gets below 30% with the heat going. Much nicer with a humidifier.

Pushrod Monkey

Pushrod Monkey

Hi, I have a seperate 2x4 grow tent for drying and I am curious of what to do to add humidity. I live in a desert region and the humidity is extremely low and I have put a lot of money into growing good quality weed. Not too sure what to do and really need some help. I heard that adding a humidifier is bad and since it is a small grow tent I do not want to risk that. I thought about getting a reptile fogger but still do not know if they're is better options. I was also thinking a humidity controller connected to an evaporative humidifier might be an option. My final option was getting a large reservoir filling it with water and putting it at the bottom of the grow tent then constantly venting so there is no smell and not too much humidity. If anyone knows please let me know.
Inkbird humidistat and an analog cool mist humidifier. Fans to move air around but not on. I’m from far west Texas.

XxHammer

XxHammer

I have a feeling you may be a fellow Arizonian. I am battling Humidity myself, in the way most cannabis growers dont. When I do not run any form of a humidifier/ evaporative cooler, then my humidity can get as low as 3%, even with humidifier and evaporative cooler running, I can only get my rH up around 40-45%.

I have not even put any thought into the drying and harvest part of the Grow process. I will definitely be interested to see what you do and what solutions you come up with

Please provide pics if you can, best of luck!

Moshmen

Moshmen

Fla here winter the can be in the 30’s rh I run a whole house humidifier at 50% and dry in a cool closet no issues - sometimes it may dry a little to fast for my liking but still does what it’s supposed to do

G

Gammagoat

Az here also.

I bought two wallymart equate humidifiers that use a wicking filter, its so dry the wicking filters do not stay hydrated. I've added two more ultrasonic mist type to help, if these dont work I'm Thinking about getting a portable swamp cooler to keep up. This is in a 250sqft room in which my tent and cabinet grow spaces are.

XxHammer

XxHammer

Az here also.

I bought two wallymart equate humidifiers that use a wicking filter, its so dry the wicking filters do not stay hydrated. I've added two more ultrasonic mist type to help, if these dont work I'm Thinking about getting a portable swamp cooler to keep up. This is in a 250sqft room in which my tent and cabinet grow spaces are.

Are you talking about for Growing or for Drying?

Ive been told from a number of sources to not even stress about my humidity too much during Growing. Yes, higher rH during Veg will lead to faster and more vigorous growth, but that the plants will do just fine. My humidity stays between 20-40% with the devices I have. I am not going to bother trying to get it any higher.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Get the RH in the room where you want it then use the intake to get the air into the tent.

G

Gammagoat

Are you talking about for Growing or for Drying?

Both, I defiantly want the absolute best growth as possible, I also don't want to risk my crop in a less than ideal environment when it comes time to chop and dry.

I'm new to this, and have been behind the curve the entire grow. I'm about five weeks to finish and wanted to start addressing the humidity problem when drying before I get there, I also have started another clone.

Since my last post in this thread my RH has gone from 62% this morning to 43%, and AC has been cycling, once its running constantly I doubt I'll be able to maintain 40's much less 60. In another month we will be over a hundred with humidity in the single digits. This is with four humidifiers. Not going to work, I'm going to have to get a portable swamp cooler or misters or something.

Just giving OP what I'm trying to do, whats working and whats not.

KautzmanKush

KautzmanKush

I have a feeling you may be a fellow Arizonian. I am battling Humidity myself, in the way most cannabis growers dont. When I do not run any form of a humidifier/ evaporative cooler, then my humidity can get as low as 3%, even with humidifier and evaporative cooler running, I can only get my rH up around 40-45%.

I have not even put any thought into the drying and harvest part of the Grow process. I will definitely be interested to see what you do and what solutions you come up with

Please provide pics if you can, best of luck!
Will do, i am from arizona too lol

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Grow for life🌱
Supporter
I couldn’t imagine growing in az inside or out, would need more gear.
Wild climate, it’s like Mars.😂I keep Phoenix on the weather app to watch occasionally, as I have family there. 🌞

Last edited:
NewGrower777

NewGrower777

My humidity is also 'low', but not nearly as low as you in the Western states. When I lived in Colorado the humidity was so low that if I left my Mennen deodorant stick out overnite without the cap on....the next day it would be all shriveled! I am working hard to keep the humidity in the low 40's. I've been using a cheap 'pharmacy-style vaporiser', you know, with the plastic bowl. But it tends to make the room hotter as the steam is heated. I had used another type of cheap humidifier but the heating element became quickly covered in white mineral deposit and was hard to clean and it stopped working. This is my first grow so I know im going to have to look into getting a more effective humidifier,

Pondracer

Pondracer

I run a humidifier both in my grow tent and my drying room. The results are much better than without.

Pushrod Monkey

Pushrod Monkey

My humidity is also 'low', but not nearly as low as you in the Western states. When I lived in Colorado the humidity was so low that if I left my Mennen deodorant stick out overnite without the cap on....the next day it would be all shriveled! I am working hard to keep the humidity in the low 40's. I've been using a cheap 'pharmacy-style vaporiser', you know, with the plastic bowl. But it tends to make the room hotter as the steam is heated. I had used another type of cheap humidifier but the heating element became quickly covered in white mineral deposit and was hard to clean and it stopped working. This is my first grow so I know im going to have to look into getting a more effective humidifier,
You want to use cool mist ultrasonic vaporizers. Not heated.

Pushrod Monkey

Pushrod Monkey

I run a humidifier both in my grow tent and my drying room. The results are much better than without.
Same here. I use Inkbird controls with a cool mist and a heater because I live in Alaska and you never know. Fans moving air around but not on my bud. It makes all the difference. Also totally dark.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

So I'm gonna go a bit off the wall here. In some situations it's just improvise.

Temp is very important in drying and curing and imo you wanna stay below 70 at all times. I have been changing and improving things as I go for what works for me... this doesn't make it right but it's how I do it.... or would do it in this case.

For the first 3 days I like to hover at 68-70f with a humidity around 50-55% if lower RH it may take one 2 days. But I like to kinda get the outside to crisp up a touch... just the very outside. Humidity lower at this point isn't an issue.

After that I'm trying to slow the dry down for about 10-14 days. Temp will have a major impact on the terps as some as low as 68f can start to evaporate at a higher rate (if memory serves me right there is always a loss of monoterpenes bit we try to limit that as much as possible). I forget the name of the longer chain terpenes but they will increase if the dry and cure are done well and not to fast.

Humidity will impact the dry time not allowing the starches, sugars and chlorophyll to break down which can give a harshness.

So after that (useless info idk) I would dry for 2-3days at 70f then reduce the temps to 60f and use a method like paper bags or totes to maintain humidity at about 60-63% (under 65%) for the duration. This could mean taking them in and out of paper bags or totes a couple times a day to breathe at first as you don't want them sweating or you risk mold. I would also not stack them and try to leave room between the buds so they can breathe in whatever you put them in.

Taking them in and out of a fridge in paper bags will work and so will many other ways.

The whole goal is to slow the drying down even if you can only do 7-10days. How you do it is not so important as doing it.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

If you do run a humidifier make sure the vapor is well mixed into the air before it comes into contact with the plants... in a small room I'd say it's risky although I do it in a 10x7 and have 0 issues.

Pushrod Monkey

Pushrod Monkey

If you do run a humidifier make sure the vapor is well mixed into the air before it comes into contact with the plants... in a small room I'd say it's risky although I do it in a 10x7 and have 0 issues.
Agree. I use at least two fixed fans and one oscillating to make sure any moisture is as dispersed as possible. I use a nylon rack. Shelves. I move bud around as invariably there’s spots that are going to dry slower or faster. Aiming at keeping it low and slow for at least a week before jarring.

Latest posts

Top Bottom