Cannot seem to get any water to be around 6-6.5 ph lvl

• Thread starter Dtraderbudz23
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

Dtraderbudz23

I originally bought a RO system because I was told chlorine would kill off the microbes in my living soil. That water is reading 8.5 ish thought. So then I decided well maybe I'll just use the tap water and dechlorinate it. My tap water is reading over 9. I am using an apera PC-60Z instrument. I've calibrated it correctly using the 7 solution and then the 4. Those readings are spot on. So is there a natural way to increase the acidity to bring it down to near 6.5? I heard lemon juice maybe

freezeland2

freezeland2

GH PH down.

Trying to PH adjust RO water before adding your nutrients is a waste of your time. The ions in the RO water have been removed so trying to ph adjust becomes a exercise in the dog chasing it’s tail.

And I would add PH adjusting water only for living soil is also a waste of your time. The living soil will buffer it.

D

Dtraderbudz23

GH PH down.

Trying to PH adjust RO water before adding your nutrients is a waste of your time. The ions in the RO water have been removed so trying to ph adjust becomes a exercise in the dog chasing it’s tail.

And I would add PH adjusting water only for living soil is also a waste of your time. The living soil will buffer it.
So for living soil the 7.5 ish ph from the RO water is okay?
Also what is GH down?

Shaded_One

Shaded_One

I originally bought a RO system because I was told chlorine would kill off the microbes in my living soil. That water is reading 8.5 ish thought. So then I decided well maybe I'll just use the tap water and dechlorinate it. My tap water is reading over 9. I am using an apera PC-60Z instrument. I've calibrated it correctly using the 7 solution and then the 4. Those readings are spot on. So is there a natural way to increase the acidity to bring it down to near 6.5? I heard lemon juice maybe

Chlorine will degas from standing water in about ~24 hours. Using RO is just going to cause you more issues than anything else in living soil. 0 trace elements or minerals so make sure you've got your bases covered 🤙

Chlorine will last between 6 and 8 minutes in 10 gallons of boiling tap water. Boiling is the fastest method to remove Chlorine from water.

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

I keep my pH at 6.2, to lower pH put a bit of white vinegar in a 16oz cup of water stir and give to plant, go light bc you can allways repeat, a bit of baking soda same drill will raise pH, or go buy pH up/down.

D

Dtraderbudz23

Yeah I've put kelp bone blood meal muriate of potash dolomite lime. The soil got all the nuts it needs. Just wanted to make sure the PH of the water wasn't going to jack it up

steamroller

steamroller

Get a TDS/EC pen and stop struggling with pH.
If you use RO you need to remineralize it . Good luck not raising pH back up when you do
Find out what your tap TDS/EC is and then adjustments if necessary can be made .
GH pH down is what many here use .
It is IMO more important to be consistent with your water parameters ,then to chase the perfect number .

freezeland2

freezeland2

Yeah I've put kelp bone blood meal muriate of potash dolomite lime. The soil got all the nuts it needs. Just wanted to make sure the PH of the water wasn't going to jack it up
Don’t over think it. Not having to PH adjust and just water living soil is one of its many advantages.

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
Chlorine will degas from standing water in about ~24 hours. Using RO is just going to cause you more issues than anything else in living soil. 0 trace elements or minerals so make sure you've got your bases covered 🤙

Chlorine will last between 6 and 8 minutes in 10 gallons of boiling tap water. Boiling is the fastest method to remove Chlorine from water.
Serious question, Is this the same for chloramine? (Boiling the water) That’s what my town uses I use this on my tap to fill my 5 gallon buckets now before running the aerator for 24 hours in it

I learned about chloramine on here lol didn’t know there was 2 ways for bacteria control that varies between towns I only bubble to add oxygen to the water, just because I can now lol

15841DFB F411 49C5 AFC5 7FD8F4D62240
3C8D0B85 FB72 4010 8F42 99529AA73BBE
freezeland2

freezeland2

Serious question, Is this the same for chloramine? (Boiling the water) That’s what my town uses I use this on my tap to fill my 5 gallon buckets now before running the aerator for 24 hours in it

I learned about chloramine on here lol didn’t know there was 2 ways for bacteria control that varies between towns I only bubble to add oxygen to the water, just because I can now lol
I use that same filter on the end of a garden hose. Watch your plants for calmag def when using that filter.

steamroller

steamroller

NO !
Chloramine is not removed by outgassing. Its is chlorine bonded to an extra ammonia atom and will not break down .That is why it is preffered.
Many dechlorinators work well for chloramine also .
I used Seachem Safe which is the dry version of Seachem Prime.
Get prime unless you plan on going through thousands of gallons.
I use safe and when my next jar is done I have used 1 million gallons worth !

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
I use that same filter on the end of a garden hose. Watch your plants for calmag def when using that filter.
I add FF cal-mag at half dose just watered about an hour ago
NO !
Chloramine is not removed by outgassing. Its is chlorine bonded to an extra ammonia atom and will not break down .That is why it is preffered.
thats why I run the pre-filter plus outgas for 24 hours on top of it if I’m not mistaken you were the one who warned me about chloramine thank you 😁 that’s why I bought my pre-filter I saw suggested by someone else on here, I bubble mainly to add oxygen to my water I’m now at 6.35PH and 590PPM on my water after neuts are added, I add 8 drops of PH up after adding neuts and it ends up at 6.35- 6.4PH 👌

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
What are you outgasing
Not “outgassing” but just aerating the water before adding neuts to it

I know it’s excess but I’d rather go overboard than regret something later and it can’t hurt to add some extra air to the water

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
NO !
Where is the best place to find it I’ll still use it after the pre filter and aerating lol like my wife always says go big or go home… so that’s what I did lol

freezeland2

freezeland2

Not “outgassing” but just aerating the water before adding neuts to it

I know it’s excess but I’d rather go overboard than regret something later and it can’t hurt to add some extra air to the water
That makes more sense. I also have a 5 g bucket with an air stone for brewing microbe teas.

Top Bottom