Can't drink, so what to do then?

• Thread starter jameson47
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

jameson47

Like many soldiers returning from Vietnam, I found a youthful very active but secret pot smoking society. I was left out at first, because I didn't know anything about pot. However, my brother returned from Nam after me already fully engaged and quickly finding acceptance in the secret community. Soon I was introduced and became fully engaged as well. That was 1971-72.

For the next few years, I was a daily pot smoker, even when working as a salesman in a department store and as a college student. However, I rarely drank anything stronger than "Boon's Farm". Pot was my thing.

However, with age and responsibility, plus with pee tests required before new contract jobs as an engineer, I moved away from those who continued to enjoy pot. Just walking into a smoke filled room could make me fail a pee test and thus lose a job.

Now, I am retired. And due to Hepititis 'C' and chronic cirrhosis of the liver, I am forbidden from drinking anything alcoholic. Thus, I'm left with nothing that can mediate tension in my body. Strong drugs like methadone work great, but are extremely addictive. I kicked that habit cold turkey (No small feat), but I'm back to nothing to help relieve the tension. For me, the tension is killer and causes further damage to my liver.

So, now I'm considering another path. Pot, obviously. From memory, I know that certain breeds or strains of pot can provide a very soothing and mellow high. I enjoyed the dream like state very much. So, that is the kind of strain I'd wish to discover and grow for myself.

My brother brought back seeds from Nam that he had hand picked for potency. Since he spoke Vietnamese, he was able to communicate with the Vietnamese farmers easily. And they liked him, because he could speak their language. He grew the seeds in the forest behind our parent's house. Our parents owned a large farm with lots of forest area. Back then, the police didn't bother you, as long as you didn't make a fool of yourself in front of them.

The result was pot that gave a very smooth mellow 6 to 8 hour high. The potency was such that the 'Cheech and Chong' classic about the game show comes to mind. "What is your name?" Well, although I did still know my name, I couldn't continue a discussion more than a few seconds without forgetting what the subject was about.

Now, from what I read and what is shown on TV documentaries, I understand that technology has produced strains of pot that far exceed the potency of even that Vietnamese strain.

Well, if true, then I'd like some of that. But I'd like a strain that does not exasserbate my problem with tension. In other words, I don't want to grind my teeth or get the extreme munchies. I prefer the calm dreamlike state with mellow deep thoughts and internal self examination and investigation. This gives me a lot of new ideas to use in my writing.

That's me in a nutshell. Later, Dudes.

N

Nobull56

IMHO, it sounds like you would prefer Indica dormant plants. They tend to be more body then mind. There are so many mixes now days; I would suggest that you start local. Ask around and sample what is being grown has you would be growing (indoor/outdoor). Get going with your areas local types that work for you. Then you can spend your money trying the next best super weed from the planet next door!!
Good Luck

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
yup you want indica dom strains to relax, cant guarantee that it wont give ya the munchies though

V

Valid215

I would look into edibles and concentrates. with no harmful side effects like that of smoking.

N

nelson1100

Yeah.bubba kush,or any good kush will help ALOT
Nelson.

skwirlgirl

skwirlgirl

I shut down the party 3 years ago..miss it. I'm all about HASH these days..bud too.. but mostly I'm loving the goo. Makes me forget I ever drank anything haha. Any hash but for sure Indica hash..

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I haven't smoked anything in years that had a high that lasted that long, jameson. But there are people who collect and breed the landraces, so you might want to keep an eye out for those. Take some care with some of the Africans, I've heard of very seasoned smokers having rather bad head experiences with these super potent sativas. (wanna say... Malawi something? Someone else might be able to help here).

So, based on your descriptions I'd have to agree with the others regarding indica-dominant strains, although I've had some sat-doms that I like quite a lot (I have pain issues as well as.. I spin, as my husband puts it, stress out on little crap that shouldn't matter, weed really helps me with that in a big way) such as Orange Krush (Cali O x Blueberry), which was also incredibly tolerant of all growing conditions and easy to grow. Unfortunately, being a little sat-dominant, it GREW BIG! And I am not.

Bubba Kush is one of my ALLTIME favorite smokes, it doesn't put me to sleep like certain others do (The White, this Mendo Purps x Grape Krush, a New York Diesel cross), plus I love the flavor. Orange Kush is similar, if you can find it, though not as flavorful. The White puts most people on their asses and gets growers' attention. I am a very, very heavy smoker, so sometimes that's the stuff I want to have on hand.

Oh, it's going to be a while before you get to the point of not getting the munchies. No longer happens to me (or the cotton mouth, or the red eyes), but like I said, I smoke a lot.

Welcome.

Str8Dank

Str8Dank

if you decide to grow yourself you will for sure want to go Indica and make sure you grow them until they are ready pulling them early will be more head buzz then the couch lock and the couch lock is part of the dream state to me. its that "stuck" feeling.

welcome back to the smokers club i just got back myself recently. i smoked as a teenager but didn't smoke but maybe once a year in my 20's and just started back this year never missing a day and i could not be happier!

go slow when you start out dont be out there ripping full milky bongs starting back is always tricky to me because every time i have if i smoke to much the first time it's just not fun and i dont do it again for a long time lol.

since you're not in a Med state to be sure you're getting good shit that has the right amount of amber trichomes and is indica you either will have to have a good friend that's a grower or do it yourself. edibles or a vaporizor would be the way i would suggest to get your meds. if you do decide to grow yourself we will be here to help you through the process!

happy smoking!

J

jameson47

Re: Your responses.

Thanks to all of you for your responses. And 'motherlode', what you said, "If your car could travel at the speed of light, would your headlights work?" That's great. I got a good chuckle out of it.

It seems that the predominant view is that the Indica Dominant strain would be best for me. And I like the idea of edibles or concentrates. I had read that edibles have less side effects. However, I am not a good cook (TV dinners for me) and I am single. So, I'd have a ways to go to learn to cook the edibles. And to be honest, I'm not great at growing things either. All the plants on my patio died. They were fine before my divorce. Maybe she had the green thumb.

Too much potency is not an issue for me. For some reason, I have a very very high tolerance for drugs of any kind. With methadone, my daily intake was enough to kill a horse. If I shared even one methadone tablet with a friend for pain relief, the one pill would make that person sick or cause sleep. I was taking about eight to ten 50ml tablets daily and was still fully functional and capable. I did go to sleep in church, but that may have been caused by a boring preacher. It is my lifetime home church, so I wasn't going to move to another church. That preacher eventually moved to another church.

Also, I'm not likely to go crazy or lose control of myself from any kind of high. I've taken LSD and other things like that. Back in the day, I tried anything and everything that was available. Other people would be tripping, but I'd be wondering when the real fun was going to start.

Weird stuff doesn't bother me. I've seen the real weird stuff. So, now a high that causes my imagination to go wild is perfect for me. Anything else is 'ho hum'. I've been quite high, but I've never lost control of myself in extreme situations requiring a cool head.... Like when the state police pulled my car over late at night with six of us in the car smoking pot. It was a cold night, so the windows were rolled up. When we saw the lights come on behind us, the windows were quickly rolled down. Smoke was rolling out of the car. Empty "Boons Farm" bottles were on the floor. Bags of pot were being quickly hidden, as a state trooper was walking up on either side of the car. Again, it was my car, a 65 Ford Galaxi 500 convertible, but I wasn't driving. The guy who was normally the most cool headed was driving. But when the state trooper shined the flashlight in his eyes, he froze up. All the other guys and gals were in a near panic. The trooper asked for driver's license and registration card. This was in North Carolina in about 1973. My friend produced his driver's license, but the registration card was in the glove box. I told the trooper next to my window that the card was in the glove box and I'd get it out to show it to him. There were several papers together, so I said I needed light to pick out the registration card. With papers in hand, I got out of the car and went to the front of the police car. I used the police car headlights so I could see what I was doing. Both troopers met me at the rear of the car. Back then it was still okay to get out of your car without being asked by the policeman. I looked through the papers and found the card they wanted to see. They asked me why I was not driving and I told them that I had drank too much "Boon's Farm" and the driver had not. The pot smoke was absolutely obvious. My clothes probably stank of the pot smell. However, I guess God didn't want me or us to go to jail that day. The troopers told me to be careful and have a good night. I got back in the car and all of us went home.

For obvious reasons, I don't have any local contacts for procuring pot. I don't know anyone here who does pot and I don't want to know anyone here who does. No one here has any idea whatsoever that I smoke pot. And that is the way I want to keep it. There is always the chance that someone who knows that I smoke pot would rat me out if they were in a bind. However, as long as I mind my own business and stay at home whenever I want to smoke or get high, then there is very little chance that trouble could come my way. The only person I smoke with is my brother, who comes back to this area occasionally from his work. Currently, he is not subject to the pee test, but he is still working in engineering. However, he only smokes when he is here, never at his apartment near his work. And what we smoke is pot that he bought in Michigan in about 2000. It is very weak and mostly gives good headaches and body aches with a slight buzz for me. He gets a better buzz from it and stops smoking before I do.

J

jameson47

Hey there, Papa. Thanks for the welcome. I hope to enjoy gardening. And I think I need to get my brother's help. He is the family genius and he has grown before. I'm the family screw up... Well, sorta...

Jameson

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I'm not sure why people are saying edibles are a better way for you to go right now. Everything that follows has a caveat--I have yet to eat the edible that did much of anything for me, definitely not when compared to smoking bud, hash, or vaporizing either one.

For one thing, edibles have a greater chance of you eating too much and becoming far too stoned, for too long, to be comfortable. For another thing, the dosages are very difficult to gauge and onset of effects take around an hour last time I read anything about it. So, you've got to wait around an hour to figure out if what you ate had any effect, and for me, that's too long.

Smoking, or vaporizing, allows you to much more precisely control dose, the effects therefore can be far more easily and better gauged more precisely.

Another reason for going with indica-dominant lines is they can be, generally, less finicky in their growing requirements. At least, this has been my experience.

J

jameson47

Thanks Seamaiden. You make an excellent point. I think I'd agree with you that an hour wait time before knowing what I've subjected my body to is a bit too long. And since I'm not any good at cooking, there's no telling how much stuff I'd mess up trying to learn how.

When I was smoking daily and had the really good stuff, normally I'd feel the affects very quickly.

I'm a good engineer and know how to do a lot of things, but I'm not any good at doing the mechanical stuff. I break things. So, I make a good supervisor, but mechanic is not my thing. Normally, I take mechanical work to someone who knows what they are doing and can do it right the first time.

I'm interested in the vaporizer you mentioned. I've never seen one, but I like the idea of it. Being an engineer, I like new things. When I began looking into making pot my drug of choice, I thought about water cooled devices, but saw that vaporizers seemed to be the better choice.

I like the hash, too, and remember it well from back in the day. But I think this too would require that I learn to cook or something like that.

Thus, if sounds like Indica Dominant and a vaporizer would be the easiest way for me. This considers what you said about Indica Dominant being more tolerant of someone with a brown thumb.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
It's a simple matter to make a type of hash called water, ice, or bubble hash (bubble because of how good quality product behaves when it meets heat). It requires a set of filter bags, some buckets, trim or bud with crystals (aka trichomes), a good bit of ice and fresh, clean water.

I don't use a vaporizer myself, but I'm sure they're easily found online. There are many different types and methods, including simply using... I think they're called plates. I have a lot to learn in that department, I mostly grow and smoke the bud itself.

J

jameson47

Yes, I've been looking at vaporizers online. Normally, I buy a name brand with most of the bells and whistles. I pick the one I want, then compare prices from different sellers. However, I'm not familiar with vaporizers, at all. So, I don't know name brands or which bells & whistles are beneficial. But I'll figure it out.

Latest posts

Top Bottom