can't seem to get shatter what am I doing wrong?? HELP PLEASE

• Thread starter Shivaskunk
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Shivaskunk

Hi ther I've recently started making bho and just got a vacuum chamber and can't quite seem to get shatter no matter what I do. Before you jump in and start researching I have been for the last 3 weeks while waiting on my may chamber to come and while I have been making batches. But the not turning out ryt. They are turning out like crumble and wax so this is what I have for making bho
Honeybee extractor
2 coffee filters cut to size
Pyrex 10"x10"
Slow cooker
Bull brand butane (near zero)
Small chamber 5litters
2 cfm vacuum pump.
Thermometer normal one waiting on it thermometer coming in post
Parchment paper foil back only one I could get

And my presses of making bho. I start by taking bud lights grind and pack into extractor tube not to tight or to lose I think lol then I will boil the kettle to heat water the pour water in slow cooker and sit pyrex onto for 10 mins for it to heat up then take pyrex out side and and do my spay (don't have big enough dish to sit pyrex in wen spraying) let the gas evaporate a bit the take in side and sit on slow cooker (still off just hot water from kettle) untill no reaction turn slow cooker on for 5 then scrap onto parchment paper and put in chamber and sit chamber on pyrex and still thermometer on pyrex next to chamber fits perfectly( don't no about temp readin but it never gose past 115f whan vacuuming)
I let temp on thermometer go to 10 and start vac to 30hg for 5 mins the let vac out and oil settle an heat up again after ten mins turn vac on and to 30hg for another 5 10 mins let vac out let it heat up for another ten and then vac again. And after about 10 mins at full vac it's like a crumble or a wax and seem to still be underpurge crackly wen light put to it? Only doing 14g to 28g runs so about 2 gram to 5 gram oil at a time. how could this be what am is doing wrong any what am I missing help would be very much appreciate don't really want to mess up anymore this is what they end up like one on right is cheese and the left is amnesia haze

Cant seem to get shatter what am i doing wrong help please
S

Shivaskunk

Sorry ment to say by no reaction I mean it gose that wax way or dry crumbly and wont melt back down at low temps and wont bubble under vacuum. It will only go dryer this dose this after being in vac chamber for half an hour on last purge

temp a ment 110f

Also should the oil muffin up could that cause it? If so how to stop it?

Should it go cloudy looking when In vac before it will go like shatter?

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
Sounds like you scraped it too soon.. Temps were fluxing during vac... Temps possibly too high during vac as well...

Fluxing temps is is your main problem and scraping far to early creating an emulsion of oil water and bho gave you that wax..

Mainly the water bath contributed to that..

My suggestions, Take them for what there worth..

Ditch the water completely, Get a griddle spray into yer pyrex and purge on that.. when the main reactions complete ( keep an eye on the temps 115 is good ) Move the pyrex to yer vac chamber and purge KEEP AN EYE ON THE PYREX it will bubble up and over.. STOP the vac and SLOWLY release the pressure. allow the oil to heat back up till the big bubbles are back to tiny little bubbles.. Repeat... do this 3-4 times till it stops bubbling up really big and yer left with little ones..

SCRAPE and move to parchment.. Turn your heat down a hair since the parchment will be in direct contact with heat and continue the purge till you've reached the consistancy your happy with.

Myco

Myco

@connoisseurde420 - you don't need to have a chamber you can fit your pyrex in. I'm sure @LittleDabbie has his process down and gets consistent results, but we all have our own little quirks and ways of doing things. But I agree, you likely need to wait longer before scraping, keep a close eye on temps to make sure they are consistent, use good material, and you should get consistent results!

Just because I always have to add my .02... @Shivaskunk - I also think your biggest mistake also is scraping too soon, moisture and temp fluctuation. Also from what I gather, you're really only vac-purging for a grand total of... up to 25 minutes? I would suspect the oil is still heavily fortified with moisture and butane, hence the crackling.

I pre-purge on a griddle until the main reaction stops and the oil reaches temp (115ish), scrape and spread thin on parchment, have my vac-chamber pre-heated and ready to go on a heating pad, place parchment/oil into chamber, allow oil to come back up to temp, and then evacuate. You want to make sure your oil is actually reaching 115f, as to allow the oil to still react and still see bubbles pop on their own. After 1-2 hours (at which point usually looks like shatter) I release the vacuum, re-spread into an even thinner film, evenly across the parchment as much as possible, and then resume for 12-24 hours.

Always comes out blonde (assuming using proper material), clean, hard, and flavorful.

Dab on...

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
@Myco is right is not NEEDED you can purge 90% on the griggle then scrape then finish in a heated vac :D

Theres 1000 ways to do this.. its taken me 2+ years and im STILL tweaking my methods.. No 1 way is the RIGHT way.. But i will say WATER is NOT the right way :D

Im happy to share my method and others are more then welcome to tweak it or copy it or just ignore it :D

Im just here to help people get what they really want.. Bomb ass oil :D

Kudos to those who are here to help too like @Myco :D

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
I have inconsistent results thanks I need to wait longer before scraping. Get a chamber I can put my Pyrex in and go from there..

Like myco said its not need just purge around 115-120 ( THE TEMP OF THE OIL ) ( get a heat gun off ebay for 25$ ) let it sit there for an hour or so to allow the reaction to diminish, Then scrape and move to parchment by then you should not have any issues NOT creating an emulsion and should be able to flaten it out real thin then vac it 2-3 times till you see decarb action starting... ( this will take time to know the difference between butane and decarbing ) but once you reach the desired state let it cool.. If you can fold it on parchment and it holds form your good to go..

the #1 reason people are getting wax is due to emulsion of butane water and oil.. and imho NO ONE should be seeking out any forms of wax / budder or any of the sort...

Saps/shatters... Pull and snap it takes alot of practice and alot of dicking around with difference strains to get the feel for what hybrids act at what temps and how long under vac. :D

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
You ever need help feel free to PM me or just @ me and im usually around :D

Im not a profession by any means.. i still open blast.. but if you go on nuggetry.com and search for reviews by GrapeApe you can see my progression over the years.. I was a noob just like everyone else :D

Skunkpharmresearch.com honestly stepped my game up 10 fold i owe alot to graywolf and his team!

S

Shivaskunk

Great thanks for the reply I will be ditching the water for making my next batch. And will leave it to evaporate for a least an hour and hour n a half before scraping and putting onto parchment papper and vacuuming

Dose the temp have to stay the same all the time dose it matter if it drops a couple degrees but never higher than 110?

How long should I be vacuuming for?

Should it take it to full vacuum straight away or should i it turn it up gradually like starting from 5 hg for 5 mins and up 5 hg every 5 10 mins not exactly sure on the best way to use vacuum

Also could I use a reptile heating mat to sit my payrex on after most butane has got and to heat my chamber?

S

Shivaskunk

Hi ther again need more help lol. was just wondering someone could explain a little bit on exactly how to use the vac chamber do it gradually in crease the vacuum or got to full vac from the off? And do it keep chamber heated at all times? or gradually at heat? And my chamber can pull past 30 hg will I let it go past or stop it before it dose.

And what to do wen it muffin up doyou let vac out and purge more without vac

Is ther anyway to stop it from muffin up because I think this could be part of the problem I have Thanks again

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
Temps are preferred to be consistent and even, But we dont live in a perfect world do we :P

How long depends on the strain ... how much oil is there.. so many variables. You'll learn after a few 100 runs :P

Take it to full vac tho on earth the highest you can get is -29.9 HG ( if your gauge has a nipple on top CUT IT! ) the nipple should be cut ( Your gauge should be filled with PG if its a decent gauge.. if its reading anything past 29.9 Hg Then your gauge needs replacing..

You can check what sea level your at and see what max HG readout you should be getting.. here in michigan a few 600 feet above sea level i can pull to about -29

Chamber should be heated at alll times during vac, Pull a vac let it sit for a few mins drop the vac SLOWLY... And temp gun the oil and check the temps should be around 110-115 120 is ok but may darken your oil a bit...

When it muffins up to the point its gonna boil over off glass or parchment STOP the vac. SLOWLY release the pressure and let it sit on the griddle more then pull a vac again.. a few times of that and it wont muffin up anymore it will start to fully purge ( or close enuff to it )

keep checking on the size of the bubbles when you notice it stops pulling massive bubbles during vac and only leaving you with little tiny bubbles those are decarb bubbles.. your oil is ready.

Im a typical run i can do an ounce from blast to purge to smoking shatter in less then 3 hours.

S

Shivaskunk

Temps are preferred to be consistent and even, But we dont live in a perfect world do we :p

How long depends on the strain ... how much oil is there.. so many variables. You'll learn after a few 100 runs :p

Take it to full vac tho on earth the highest you can get is -29.9 HG ( if your gauge has a nipple on top CUT IT! ) the nipple should be cut ( Your gauge should be filled with PG if its a decent gauge.. if its reading anything past 29.9 Hg Then your gauge needs replacing..

You can check what sea level your at and see what max HG readout you should be getting.. here in michigan a few 600 feet above sea level i can pull to about -29

Chamber should be heated at alll times during vac, Pull a vac let it sit for a few mins drop the vac SLOWLY... And temp gun the oil and check the temps should be around 110-115 120 is ok but may darken your oil a bit...

When it muffins up to the point its gonna boil over off glass or parchment STOP the vac. SLOWLY release the pressure and let it sit on the griddle more then pull a vac again.. a few times of that and it wont muffin up anymore it will start to fully purge ( or close enuff to it )

keep checking on the size of the bubbles when you notice it stops pulling massive bubbles during vac and only leaving you with little tiny bubbles those are decarb bubbles.. your oil is ready.

Im a typical run i can do an ounce from blast to purge to smoking shatter in less then 3 hours.

Great thanks again the vac pump n chamber is less than 2 week old and has always pull past the 30 hg mark and I'm at sea level dose this mean it's broken? It's only a small 1 gallon chamber with 2cfm pump could this be why it pulling over 29.9 hg?

Also I have had my oil looking like shatter once or twice but it still had very small bubbles in it but I kept vacuuming as I thought it was gass still.? So what you are basically saying is shatter will have very small bubbles in it no matter what? Or should it not have any bubble by the time it done? So is ther any real way to tell if it is gas or decarb bubbles. If that's the case Coz I think I may have vacuumed to long can you do that lol. the first couple of times they went more like a crumble not got any pics guys those 2 pics on first post is wen I turned the heat up in vac because I though I was to low

Could I use a hair dryer to speed up the process of gettin butane out before I scrap? And the hair dryer to heat up inside vac chamber

Could I use a reptile heating mat for heating my pyrex and chamber from the bottom?

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
Naa CFM just stands for cubic feet per min. the amount of air it can move in a min..

I think yer gauge is broke but thats really of no real importance.. Just run the vac for 15-20 mins at a time and it wont matter what a gauge says.

Yes depending on how you handle your bho shatter can have little air holes/terpes boiling off ect..

Its the BIG bubbles or shit turning to budder/wax you wanna avoid.

Yes there is. Gas bubbles are huge and all over every inch of yer bho.. Terps and decarb / co2 bubbles are about the same size as a coal when you pour it out into a glass :D

Keep vac'ing till you got the consistancy your happy with.

an yes u can Over vac your oil. No do not use a hair dryer.......

Yes you can use a reptile pad as a heating mat.. A Stainless steel chamber and griddle however are prefered but whatever you got atm will work :D

S

Shivaskunk

Meant to ask the aswell. Can you mess things up by not having the oil hot enough
I mean after it muffins it doesn't go bk down n just dry ryt out?

Will will you be able to melt it bk down?

My parchment papper is also foil backed is this OK or will it mess it up

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
once it muffins up stop the vac and allow it to melt back down over your heat source should take about 5-10 mins.. then start again.. repeat this till your done..

and yes just make sure you dont put yer bho on the shiney side ;)

S

Shivaskunk

Thanks again ma man great help hopefully get some shatter soon haha never use the shiny side anyways ha n stop messin it up
Never used a hairdryer just seen somew
once it muffins up stop the vac and allow it to melt back down over your heat source should take about 5-10 mins.. then start again.. repeat this till your done..

and yes just make sure you dont put yer bho on the shiney side ;)

Thanks again ma man great help hopefully get some shatter soon haha never use the shiny side anyways ha n stop messin it up
Never used a hairdryer just seen someone use heat gun n though I could be close to the same. Am also in the UK and haven't really looked at griddles is ther any certain kind I should get? What the lowest temp on them do cooking appliances not start hotter than 110f? How would I keep temp low?

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
Any ol griddle that you can cook pancakes / bacon whatever on will do.. Presto is a good brand. Mine will go as low as 80 you just have to before the warm line.. it will turn on long before it reaches any of the preset temps on the dial. a TEMP GUN is a MUST!!!! Its really the only way to dial in a griddle.. there cheap .. ebay.. 25$

how you keep it low is by not fucking with the temp dial once you have it dialed it :D

and your welcome its 3 in the morning and i just got up i got nothing else to do :D

S

Shivaskunk

Any ol griddle that you can cook pancakes / bacon whatever on will do.. Presto is a good brand. Mine will go as low as 80 you just have to before the warm line.. it will turn on long before it reaches any of the preset temps on the dial. a TEMP GUN is a MUST!!!! Its really the only way to dial in a griddle.. there cheap .. ebay.. 25$

how you keep it low is by not fucking with the temp dial once you have it dialed it :D

and your welcome its 3 in the morning and i just got up i got nothing else to do :D

Also many coffee filters should a use it the cone one cut to size I've been using 2 is that enough.

Grate Al have a look for a griddle am sure a seen one in tesco near by me so Al have a look in ther and am waiting on ma in thermometer coming hopefully have it by next week.

Haha that's ture no touching wanst it set best way lol

It 9 in the morning here guess it time to get up n go shopping for a griddle lol. Al post pick up wen I do my next run in next few days see how it goes hope I have a nice bit of shatter to smoke lol. Should have with your help

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
I prefer Stainless steel 25micron my self... but coffee filters will worth just fine :D

Top Bottom