can't seem to get shatter what am I doing wrong?? HELP PLEASE

• Thread starter Shivaskunk
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ohthatguy8

ohthatguy8

Any ol griddle that you can cook pancakes / bacon whatever on will do.. Presto is a good brand. Mine will go as low as 80 you just have to before the warm line.. it will turn on long before it reaches any of the preset temps on the dial. a TEMP GUN is a MUST!!!! Its really the only way to dial in a griddle.. there cheap .. ebay.. 25$

how you keep it low is by not fucking with the temp dial once you have it dialed it :D

and your welcome its 3 in the morning and i just got up i got nothing else to do :D
Wow lots of good info/advise. I was shocked reading that your griddle can sit at 80. I bought a 20$ griddle at kroger n when it kicks on (mid warm range) it gets to 240 degrees. So I'm constantly turning off then on and it sux. I may buy a new griddle cuz I plan ti blast tomorrow

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
Wow lots of good info/advise. I was shocked reading that your griddle can sit at 80. I bought a 20$ griddle at kroger n when it kicks on (mid warm range) it gets to 240 degrees. So I'm constantly turning off then on and it sux. I may buy a new griddle cuz I plan ti blast tomorrow

Try turning the dial down to before the letters start showing.. the light may not come on but the griddle will.. :D

ohthatguy8

ohthatguy8

Try turning the dial down to before the letters start showing.. the light may not come on but the griddle will.. :D
I wish it did but it stays cool as a cucumber till the light comes on. It's a proctor silex so no one else buys this kind

A

AlterEgo860

and it don't matter when u scrape lol .. that's just traded.. sorry.. u guys can whip it or not.. its all doing the same thing.. if u got a vacuum chamber and a proper heat source.. what u do in the pyrex means nothing..

ive waited till it was shatter in a pyrex.. and ive scraped directly after the more butane was gone. and got same results.. it has nothing to do with that..

if people would put there tubes in the freezer.. with there butane.. and then blow.. u wont have any issue with getting a shatter or taffy that's CLEAR.. very simple.. if its SAP but smells and tastes amazing.. terpenes make shit runny man.. it happens. doesn't mean quality is down.. in cali.. live extracts are taking off.. with 3x more terpenes.. and runny sap consistency.. but taste and smell is amazing.. so people realize wow.. shatter just means.. it has less TERPENES

StonedPngwin

StonedPngwin

I think the biggest factor in producing shatter is a consistent temperature. I do not use a vac chamber, only double boiler to purge mine, and I produce a gorgeous shatters consistency just about every time. Are you using an ir thermometer? Here's my two most recent batches.

WP 20140922 007
WP 20140922 009
WP 20140920 013
StonedPngwin

StonedPngwin

Do you purge directly on your heat source or do you use a double boiler? My griddle will get to around 200 but with the double boiler it keeps my Pyrex at a perfect 115.

StonedPngwin

StonedPngwin

Hi ther I've recently started making bho and just got a vacuum chamber and can't quite seem to get shatter no matter what I do. Before you jump in and start researching I have been for the last 3 weeks while waiting on my may chamber to come and while I have been making batches. But the not turning out ryt. They are turning out like crumble and wax so this is what I have for making bho
Honeybee extractor
2 coffee filters cut to size
Pyrex 10"x10"
Slow cooker
Bull brand butane (near zero)
Small chamber 5litters
2 cfm vacuum pump.
Thermometer normal one waiting on it thermometer coming in post
Parchment paper foil back only one I could get

And my presses of making bho. I start by taking bud lights grind and pack into extractor tube not to tight or to lose I think lol then I will boil the kettle to heat water the pour water in slow cooker and sit pyrex onto for 10 mins for it to heat up then take pyrex out side and and do my spay (don't have big enough dish to sit pyrex in wen spraying) let the gas evaporate a bit the take in side and sit on slow cooker (still off just hot water from kettle) untill no reaction turn slow cooker on for 5 then scrap onto parchment paper and put in chamber and sit chamber on pyrex and still thermometer on pyrex next to chamber fits perfectly( don't no about temp readin but it never gose past 115f whan vacuuming)
I let temp on thermometer go to 10 and start vac to 30hg for 5 mins the let vac out and oil settle an heat up again after ten mins turn vac on and to 30hg for another 5 10 mins let vac out let it heat up for another ten and then vac again. And after about 10 mins at full vac it's like a crumble or a wax and seem to still be underpurge crackly wen light put to it? Only doing 14g to 28g runs so about 2 gram to 5 gram oil at a time. how could this be what am is doing wrong any what am I missing help would be very much appreciate don't really want to mess up anymore this is what they end up like one on right is cheese and the left is amnesia haze
Well right off the bat I see a problem. If your boiling water and setting your dish in it, your probably burning your oil. I made the same mistake my first run. I just turn my sink as hot as it will go, the water comes out at about 120, which heats my dish to 115. Get that ir thermometer man, one of the most important tools for this in my opinion.

Jay Tea

Jay Tea

once it muffins up stop the vac and allow it to melt back down over your heat source should take about 5-10 mins.. then start again.. repeat this till your done..

and yes just make sure you dont put yer bho on the shiney side ;)
i live in SoHum and theres a lot of demand for "wax". i have been making a hybrid im calling "shax". clear and shiny like shatter, but with a somewhat malleable consistancy at room temp.

A

AlterEgo860

a lot of shatter out there is underpurged.. people get afraid of it waxing up or honeycombing.. so they rush it..

but iuno.. if you look at lab tests.. for vacuum purged honeycomb or wax.. the residual butane left in wax and comb is usually way lower then any shatter...

Jay Tea

Jay Tea

yes. i haven't actually looked or compared lab tests, but that seems likely...i think its the curb appeal that people are after sometimes, with shatter...

Jay Tea

Jay Tea

and it don't matter when u scrape lol .. that's just traded.. sorry.. u guys can whip it or not.. its all doing the same thing.. if u got a vacuum chamber and a proper heat source.. what u do in the pyrex means nothing..

ive waited till it was shatter in a pyrex.. and ive scraped directly after the more butane was gone. and got same results.. it has nothing to do with that..

if people would put there tubes in the freezer.. with there butane.. and then blow.. u wont have any issue with getting a shatter or taffy that's CLEAR.. very simple.. if its SAP but smells and tastes amazing.. terpenes make shit runny man.. it happens. doesn't mean quality is down.. in cali.. live extracts are taking off.. with 3x more terpenes.. and runny sap consistency.. but taste and smell is amazing.. so people realize wow.. shatter just means.. it has less TERPENES
EXACTLY!

Rezman420

Rezman420

I'm new to making shatter! First pick is lemon haze, the 2nd blueberry trim! Now what I've been reading online and from word of mouth is the light stuff is more appealing!? This 2 strains although different color both seem to be very potent but the darker stuff more, as for the light stuff a bit more flavorful, any thoughts would be appreciated.

20200604 035804
20200603 012253
AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
I'm new to making shatter! First pick is lemon haze, the 2nd blueberry trim! Now what I've been reading online and from word of mouth is the light stuff is more appealing!? This 2 strains although different color both seem to be very potent but the darker stuff more, as for the light stuff a bit more flavorful, any thoughts would be appreciated.

Welcome to The Farm!.

First off... shit looks good man. 😎 Wish i had smell-avision!

now to the finishing

How are you purging your end product? do you have a vac chamber? What is your end goal? butter, taffy shatter, snap shatter, crumble...?

Let me see if i can help you a bit.
First you are on a dead thread, this one is about 6 years old so there is a lot of stuff on top and it will hardly ever be seen. T

We have a huge forum section Concentrates & Processing which you might find interesting.

This link is one of mine and deals with all kinds of processing of weed it is also very current and it is open to anyone. Source Turbo tinctures-oils & shatter (methanol/alcohol extraction) .

That should get you started. If you have any questions all you have to do is post and add @AnselAdams and i will be notified of the post and will get you an answer.

Good Luck & May your shatter, SNAP sorry couldn't help it! 😉

Top Bottom