Carpe's Cabinet Grow [First Timer] [Unknown Genetics]

• Thread starter CarpeDiamonds
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
CarpeDiamonds

CarpeDiamonds

Hey guys,

So after failing to germinate my first batch of seedlings I switched my medium to organic soil and jiffy pellets and now I'm seeing much better results!
Thought I'd make a diary of my progress from this point that way you can easily see the methods I've been using and help point me in the right direction if I'm doing anything wrong.

First let me show you my set up.
I painted an old cabinet flat white and cleaned it up a little. Its internal dimensions are roughly 50x50x160cm. At the top I've installed an 11" axial fan and connected a carbon filter in front of it. The bottom has a vent that I've covered in cheesecloth to hopefully stop pests from entering. I've also weather sealed the door to the best of my ability.

Dsc 0247   copy
Dsc 0252   copy
CarpeDiamonds

CarpeDiamonds

The LED light is a cheap burple light I got off ebay. It claims to easily replace a 300W HID but i doubt that as its actual power draw is 60W. It has 100 diodes in total, 2 IR, 2UV, 10 Blue, 2 white and the rest red.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

The LED light is a cheap burple light I got off ebay. It claims to easily replace a 300W HID but i doubt that as its actual power draw is 60W. It has 100 diodes in total, 2 IR, 2UV, 10 Blue, 2 white and the rest red.
It will do a 1x2 area well. Might get away with it but wouldn't expect to much.

CarpeDiamonds

CarpeDiamonds

Next I'll show you the seedlings up close.
It will do a 1x2 area well. Might get away with it but wouldn't expect to much.
That's alright, I'm comfortable starting off small. Any idea how many plants I could possibly fit into this area with this particular light? Could I get away with 2?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Next I'll show you the seedlings up close.

That's alright, I'm comfortable starting off small. Any idea how many plants I could possibly fit into this area with this particular light? Could I get away with 2?
I would do one and some training.

CarpeDiamonds

CarpeDiamonds

I would do one and some training.
I was also wondering whether I should grow a male and a female and allow them to pollinate to get more seeds? I still have a bunch more seeds on me but they're not in the best condition. My germination rate so far is 5/6 excluding the ones that failed in the previous potting mix I used.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I was also wondering whether I should grow a male and a female and allow them to pollinate to get more seeds? I still have a bunch more seeds on me but they're not in the best condition. My germination rate so far is 5/6 excluding the ones that failed in the previous potting mix I used.
Could always do that.

CarpeDiamonds

CarpeDiamonds

Here are my seedlings up close. The ones in the solo cups were germinated at the same time, first in folded lab filters and then transplanted into Canna Tera Pro. It's been almost 10 days since I transplanted them. One of them has failed to sprout. The seedling in the jiffy pellet next to the hygrothemometer was planted 9 days ago and the other one in the jiffy pellet next to the solo cup a day after that. One of them sprouted with a white mark on the leaf as can be seen in the photo.
The distance from the LED is currently 57cm.
I've been watering them with distilled water once a day, every second day with a solution of 1:500 Rhizotonic. I also applied a few sprays of Rhizotonic when wetting the lab filters and when expanding the jiffy pellets.
I've also got two more seedling in paper towels that have just showed their roots and ill shall transplant them some time today. One in a jiffy and one in a solo cup.

DSC 0283   Copy
DSC 0270   Copy
DSC 0273   Copy
DSC 0286   Copy
DSC 0263   Copy
CarpeDiamonds

CarpeDiamonds

Don't water with RO just tap is enough for them for about 10 days.
I take it by RO you mean Rhizotonic? When ideally should I be using it? The package says I can use it up to 1-6 times a day. I've also halved the concentration recommended on the bottle.

CarpeDiamonds

CarpeDiamonds

Reverse osmosis
Oh I understand. Are you saying by using distilled water I'm absorbing nutrients from the plants and soil? I shall switch to tap water then. I only used distilled because I read of people using it during germination and how chlorinated water could damage the seed. My Rhizotonic solution also contains distilled water. Will that be fine to continue using as I have been using then?

sambapati

sambapati

Hey guys,

So after failing to germinate my first batch of seedlings I switched my medium to organic soil and jiffy pellets and now I'm seeing much better results!
Thought I'd make a diary of my progress from this point that way you can easily see the methods I've been using and help point me in the right direction if I'm doing anything wrong.

First let me show you my set up.
I painted an old cabinet flat white and cleaned it up a little. Its internal dimensions are roughly 50x50x160cm. At the top I've installed an 11" axial fan and connected a carbon filter in front of it. The bottom has a vent that I've covered in cheesecloth to hopefully stop pests from entering. I've also weather sealed the door to the best of my ability.
Very good beginning, well begun is 1/2 done

CarpeDiamonds

CarpeDiamonds

Hey guys,

Is the one seedling at the back stretching? It seems to be a tad taller than the others. Should I adjust the height of the LED its currently 57cm?

DSC 0299   Copy
DSC 0302   Copy
CarpeDiamonds

CarpeDiamonds

Hey guys, So I transplanted my two earliest jiffy pellets into 4L pots and I'm really surprised by how much rapid growth I've seen. Unfortunately I'm seeing some sort of yellow brown spots on their lower leaves (photos 2,3,4,5) and I'm not exactly sure what's wrong with them but I'm hesitant to treat them with anything yet seeing as they're growing so strongly. It's been 8 days since I transplanted them and I haven't watered them yet since the soil was still moist but It's starting to dry out now so I'll probably water them sometime tonight or tomorrow.
My first solo cup seedling (photo 6) isn't growing as strongly as the transplanted jiffy pellets which is weird since this was the first seedling planted and it was growing quite strongly up till now. I'm beginning to think its root bound? or maybe the extra soil in the transplanted jiffy pellets boosted they're growth? Not too sure.
The last seedling in the jiffy pellet (photo 8) I forgot to water and now its drooping. I've watered it now and plan to prod it up with a stick but I'm honestly not to worried if it dies as I can only fit 4 4L pots in my grow space anyway.

Can someone help me identify what the yellow brown spots are? Also any idea if (photo 6) is root bound?

20201104 144454   Copy
20201104 144338   Copy
20201104 144347   Copy
20201104 144355   Copy
20201104 144606   Copy
20201104 144405   Copy
20201104 144410   Copy
20201104 144419   Copy

Latest posts

Top Bottom