Caterpillar/Worm - Do i have to toss the whole harvest?

• Thread starter kilbobwe
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

kilbobwe

Just harvested. I'm seeing dozens of caterpillar/worms (very small) that have fallen dead from the plants that are now hanging. The buds look great. I wet trimmed them after I noticed the bugs and removed all of the fan leaves and much of the sugar leaves. In that trim I found two buds that were brown and dead but most others looked very healthy and I did not see a lot of bites out of leaves. My ultimate plan for the buds is infused oil. I would rather be safe (obviously) so if the best thing is to toss it all then I will do so (while crying like a baby).

This is my first post here. Searching for some guidance. Thank you!

beluga

beluga

Just harvested. I'm seeing dozens of caterpillar/worms (very small) that have fallen dead from the plants that are now hanging. The buds look great. I wet trimmed them after I noticed the bugs and removed all of the fan leaves and much of the sugar leaves. In that trim I found two buds that were brown and dead but most others looked very healthy and I did not see a lot of bites out of leaves. My ultimate plan for the buds is infused oil. I would rather be safe (obviously) so if the best thing is to toss it all then I will do so (while crying like a baby).

Welcome to the farm!

Sorry to hear you caught some nasties. Anything brown is rot... steer clear, very clear. But if you have buds that are separated by long stems and don't show any sign of damage, you should still be good to use those.

Any pictures you can provide will help us give you a more informed answer.

K

kilbobwe

Pic of "worm" precut. Middle of pic on left, curling around leaf.

Worm bud

Poekie

Poekie

Supporter

It seems almost impossible not to get some caterpillars in the buds nowadays...
Just throw away the brown dead parts, whats green is just fine.

shortcake

shortcake

I had the same issue here, New Mexico. When I harvest I did a light wash and wet trimmed. Anything dead I through out but the rest came out wonderful!

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

All good information.

The bud rot caused by bud worms does not behave the way "regular" bud rot behaves. It doesn't seem to spread on its own, it only infects worm-damaged buds.

Top Bottom