caterpillars in week 5 flower - am I doomed?

• Thread starter boogles
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
boogles

boogles

No till outdoor grow of Durban Poison, week 5 of flower atm

This afternoon I found about 1-2 caterpillars in about 50% of the buds. I removed all the caterpillars, but they have left web and shit everywhere (and eggs I assume?). Tried to brush away as much of that as I could too.

Am I wasting my time, do I need to just prune the buds that had caterpillars in them ever. Or will they be ok come harvest time if I keep the actual caterpillars gone somehow?

boogles

boogles

At worst, you could just hash your full return, then next run install some mesh to keep the adults out, and stop them from laying eggs in you next grow.

Thank you!

After clearing out the caterpillars yesterday, it rained overnight. This morning I don't see any web/poop/caterpillars. Am I delusional to think I got rid of them? 😅

If so, it's just too late?

I can safely make hash out of the buds though? What is the method?

chemistry

chemistry

Thank you!

After clearing out the caterpillars yesterday, it rained overnight. This morning I don't see any web/poop/caterpillars. Am I delusional to think I got rid of them? 😅

There are a number of ways to do it, just do a search and see which suits your needs, I favour bubble buckets as it's lazy way to to collect trykes, but it works just fine, plenty of vids on the net, watch a couple and you'll pick it up in no time. 👍

Poekie

Poekie

Supporter
Thank you!

Keep checking the buds regularly for caterpillars.
Try to find small leaves that change color and may look dried out, if you pull a little the leaf will come off easily.
Thats where they have been chewing.
You may have to open the buds a little to look inside.
And look for their excrements.
Careful you dont get fungus after the rain, it can become quite a disaster.
Just continue growing, with regular checks for caterpillars and fungus.
Good luck

Poekie

Poekie

Supporter
IMG 20190617 1015312

boogles

boogles

Keep checking the buds regularly for caterpillars.
Try to find small leaves that change color and may look dried out, if you pull a little the leaf will come off easily.
Thats where they have been chewing.
You may have to open the buds a little to look inside.
And look for their excrements.
Careful you dont get fungus after the rain, it can become quite a disaster.
Just continue growing, with regular checks for caterpillars and fungus.
Good luck

Thanks for the tips!

So my plan is currently

1) keep an eye for more caterpillars
2) go through each bud and clean out any poop/caterpillars I can see. \
3) check it daily
4) if I reach harvest and I'm not overrun with caterpillars and ive kept poop out as far as I can see (inspecting every bud often, from now), go for a normal harvest, just keep an eye out for more poop nugs on my nugs?

The higher up buds have a lot of poop, lower buds are mostly unaffected and I believe I got all the live caterpillars out (for now)

2) if theres poop and caterpillars all over the place at harvest time, just turn it into hash 😅

Poekie

Poekie

Supporter
Thanks for the tips!

So my plan is currently

1) keep an eye for more caterpillars
2) go through each bud and clean out any poop/caterpillars I can see. \
3) check it daily
4) if I reach harvest and I'm not overrun with caterpillars and ive kept poop out as far as I can see (inspecting every bud often, from now), go for a normal harvest, just keep an eye out for more poop nugs on my nugs?

The higher up buds have a lot of poop, lower buds are mostly unaffected and I believe I got all the live caterpillars out (for now)

2) if theres poop and caterpillars all over the place at harvest time, just turn it into hash 😅
In the future you may want to look into BT, the only thing i found that helps pretty good as long as the caterpillars are still young and small.
I spray it at least 3 times otherwise i know i will lose many buds.
But checking manually works well too.
Its just a pity to be touching the buds so often.

Kootenay.kid

Kootenay.kid

There are some products for pest control that you can use very late into flower, basically anything that does not have an oil or petroleum based surfactant in it. there was a product called natures botanicas its your standard off the shelf RTU insecticide but with only the Pyrethrum no piperonylbutoxide so all the killing action but degrades fast with far less residue people use it up to the last week. (sane people not the ones that use hard core serious illegal chems up until the last day then sell it and say I don't smoke anyway) if the label says only the pyrethrum or its equivalent your ok.

For caterpillars try this effective but benign pest killer, get a pump sprayer (I like Solo myself) and a few table spoons of DE (diatomaceous earth) and a liter of water put them in the sprayer and shake the hell out of it then set to the lightest mist setting and spray the plants get under the leaves and try to avoid as much of the flowers as you can just to be on the safe side. then let it dry. the DE covers the leaf in the water then when it evaporates the DE coats the leaves and if any critter crawls over it they are scared up and die. DE is silica your plants use it anyway when available its inert at worst you might get a slight black ash if you coat the flowering tops heavy. there is no worry of chemicals etc with this its fossilized sea critters that are razor sharp its available everywhere you see it sold for crawling ants spiders caterpillars and so on it looks like its a chemical on the label but its not lol is it says the only ingredient is silica or DE its safe.

bdiz

bdiz

I have been battling them myself. I have sprayed the plants twice with BT and avidly searching for them. I was about where you are when I started spraying. The BT seems to have helped greatly as I have only found one in the last few days. You need to diligently search search search. ANy sign of a brown spot or withered sugar, open up the bud and look. Fuckers got the tip of my uppermost cola. I am less than a week from harvest and feeling a lot better. You will also see them drop out of buds as they dry, they don't like dry bud. Good luck

Top Bottom