Caution: CFL's Cause Eye Damage at Close Ranges!

• Thread starter Hydro-Soil
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
H

Hydro-Soil

Hey All! :D

Having been a micro grower for a while I wanted to bring it to people's attention that you need to be careful when working with CFL's.

These lamps damage your eyes, over time, and some of the damage is permanent. The worst part is that you won't really be aware of how damaging it is.... until it's too late. :(

Please... do yourself a favor and install a regular incandescent lamp or a low wattage fluorescent lamp (T8 or T12) for lighting your cab when working.

Stay Safe! :D

sky high

sky high

It is wise to sheild yourself when you can from any/all artificial light sources

oh yeah.....and don't eat the brown acid

G

GrimloxK

yea...these past few weeks i've been in direct contact with my cfls...I need to start wearing my shades again...thanks for the reminder.

H

Hydro-Soil

Shades are cool and all.... but they really detract from my ability to quickly work with the plants. Each to their own though.

In an HID garden... I wear my shades or turn off the lamp as well. I just find it more difficult to see the plants properly and daily physical inspection is part of my pest/issue prevention protocol. :D

I hear that welder's shades are available in different darknesses and at fairly inexpensive prices online. :D

Stay Safe! :banana1sv6:

H

Hydro-Soil

Bump....

Stay Safe!

(This should actually be a sticky in EVERY micro growing forum.... )

D

DaddyFatSacks

cfl, hid, any light source is a hazed to eye health, even the sunlight we so much want in our houses is damaging. if your that worried about it, living your life in sunglasses might be the way to go, other than that how about not looking directly at the light. JMHO

DFS:pimp:

K

kolah

Yeah.... get yourself some of those martian goggles the old folks wear. They are quite stylish these days.

ttystikk

ttystikk

cfl, hid, any light source is a hazed to eye health, even the sunlight we so much want in our houses is damaging. if your that worried about it, living your life in sunglasses might be the way to go, other than that how about not looking directly at the light. JMHO

Word. Bottom line is that UV light- from any source- does damage over time. The more intense the UV, the faster the damage occurs.

Case in point: my grandmother lived in Colorado most of her life. Up here, we get substantially more UV than at sea level. She developed 'macular degeration', an eye disorder directly related to long term UV exposure. No, she didn't do any indoor gardening, all her tomatoes and cucumbers were outside! Because of her condition, she had to give up driving. At 96 years old...

It's not the source that's the problem. It's the fact that we are fragile, and mortal. Smoke one and contemplate that...

And wear some shades. My LASIK doc told me the best thing I could do for my eyesight was polarized sunglasses. They're as cheap as 8.88 at Wallyworld, look in the outdoors sports/fishing section.

H

Hydro-Soil

Nice and all, but you're missing the point.

It's easy enough (depending on your setup) not to look at your light in an HID garden. Obviously you haven't worked around CFL's in a micro environment or you wouldn't be so quick to shrug this off with some "Common Sense" that isn't appropriate here.

Vertical growers will tell you that not looking at the HID is a lot more difficult in that type of setup.

Bottom line... if you're working with CFLs in a micro environment... you're going to be exposing your eyes to excessive levels of UV that you wouldn't normally get from other sources... including spending a lot of time out in the sun.

Wear your shades or turn on a T12 or incandescent lamp folks.... Don't be one of the stupid ones that says after the fact "Gee... I should have listened, this shit is permanent."

Stay Safe! :D :banana1sv6:

Top Bottom