Central coast / Other great areas what can you tell me?

• Thread starter Megas
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Megas

Megas

So I've been considering making some changes. But I would like to do my homework first.
Couple things to note so this thread doesn't deteriorate into a pile of shit again:
1) This thread is only about California.
2) I will be looking for a job in a field outside of the marijuana industry unless someone there knows of a job they can put me in touch with someone.

I have been looking at areas in California that seem friendly, safe, clean, hippyish, not over populated, affordable. Places like L.A. and San Fran just seem too big for me. I am sure they are awesome cities but just too big.

So I stumbled upon a few places and one that really sticks out to me is Santa Cruz. Then I started reading that it is the headquarters of the California Certified Organic farmers and even the city council issued a proclamation opposing the patriot act. I just think that's neat. The only downside is the houses from what I have seen are somewhat expensive. Are there other cities or areas nearby which are similar?
Or even South of Santa Cruz I was also looking at San Luis Obispo which looks quite pretty and has good reviews but is a fair bit more conservative and doesn't do well in air pollution scores.

I would like to live closer to the coast and live somewhere warm all year round but not sweltering hot. I prefer to live close to water whether it would be a lake or the Ocean. I'm not a beach person but I prefer to be near water.

Thank you.

delae632

delae632

IG @delae_632
Supporter
There's tons of spots that sound like they would fit your criteria. Here's a few just off the top of my head. Tahoe, Bishop, Mt Shasta, Lakehead, Ojai, Big Sur, Boulder Creek, Oakhurst, Arcata. I'm sure folks will chime in with many more for you.

P

paulycali

I think you wanna live in southern california if you wanna be warm all year round. South of San Francisco for sure. Doubt you wanna live east in the desert. What do you consider warm? You can live just below the snow level in alot of places in cali which is pretty cool. Stays warm all year round. Kinda like the foothills. You have lots of options. Cali has everything someone could ever want or need. Need more info on your lifestyle

below frigid

below frigid

Check out Morro Bay. Not a lot of work there but San Luis Obispo, Paso Robles, and Atascadero or all close by.

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
Anywhere that is the quality of life your seeking is going to be kinda expensive....the good life isn't cheap in Cali.:D

The towns that anyone can afford to live in typically don't have city councils like Santa Cruz, imo
You gotta get kinda rural or remote to get a little price break on rent but convenience close to town is $$ and privacy in rural with herb growing area are $$$, shitty shacks in the trees = cheap.

Gasoline, rent, utilities, food, everything cost more here...

Sounds like you really need to make a trip and check some towns out in person and see if you like the feel/vibe present. Santa Cruz mountains are awesome, varied pricing depending on your properties attributes and whatnot.

FireWithin

FireWithin

I recently moved from Redondo B to the Big Bear area. I shouldve made this move long ago. Not much cheaper as one would think, but the quality of life imo here is way better/laid back. Nice to be out of the rat race and not have to use the f'n 405 , jus not my thang anymore. As Baba said, Cali just isnt cheap. Santa Cruz area is next on my list, and should my girl and I ever round up additional employment there it will be our next move.

NaturalTherapy

NaturalTherapy

Lighthouse
Supporter
I loved Ukiah... small town feel, beautiful landscape...though I know nothing of the cost of living

Surfr

Surfr

Just cruisin....
Supporter
Warmer coastal climate? Def San Luis Obispo or further south for the warmth. People are right though. Shit is not cheap in the nice areas everyone wants to be in. Gotta step up your game out here to live real kushy.

D

delamountain

Come to Santa Cruz cheap living and the market needs more growers.HAHAHA

Megas

Megas

Come to Santa Cruz cheap living and the market needs more growers.HAHAHA

I'm guessing this is sarcasm but having not been to Santa Cruz I have no idea.
I swear everyone keeps saying things aren't cheap out there. Tell me what costs more and we'll see.

Also I'd like to live somewhere that doesn't really go lower than 60 degrees. I'm not real big on humidity though.. Hoodie weather but not jacket. If any of you are like 60 degrees is cold, where I am its -13F sunshine and t-shirt weather in winter would just be awesome. Being able to grow vegetables in the winter WOULD BE AWESOME. I'm not sure if some of the places listed I'd be able to do that such as Arcata which sounds like an awesome awesome town but I think it's to cold for my better half.

Also if there is a Trader Joes within 20min of driving would be awesome, it's my favorite grocery store.

T

tngreen

for that warm year round most likely have to be in southern CA. Even then it can be in the upper 40s low 50s at night near the coast. definitely expensive, money seems to disappear haha.

530side

530side

slo town, santa maria, pismo, sb, those r vacation towns, well not sm. if ya wanna harvest go north.........

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
Cali has some high taxes regardless of where you live. Well there are a few places higher ,but not many. Cali is also very diverse. Really need to come out and look around.

Top Bottom