Solved Certificate issues with Windows XP?

• Thread starter ttystikk
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ttystikk

ttystikk

I'll have to check and see if my OS has SP3 installed. If it does, then I'll see if I can load Chrome. In the meantime, the site security certificate error I'm getting doesn't appear to be stopping me from seeing the site and navigating normally, I'm just not going to upload anything until it's fixed.

T

TECK

Thanks for reporting the issue, can you attach a screenshot so I see exactly how it looks?
First try this: clear your browser cache and close all browser windows. Then, visit this link and let me know if you get the warning. If you do, please post a screenshot and let me know what browser and version you use. The warning should give me detailed information about the error, so I can take care o fit.

Right now I don't get any warnings in Firefox or Chrome. I noticed that the warning gets "stuck" when you visit a farm page where someone linked an unsecured image. If you go to the home page the warning still shows, even if you left that trouble page.

BTW, guys. If you see any warnings like that on a page is because someone did not read the security guidelines we posted into Upload Manager guide. Please report those posts so the mods can take care of it. Thank you.

ttystikk

ttystikk

The last time the 'print screen' button worked for me, I was still in college! What the error page says- and it's for sure the Microsoft Intenet Exploror giving the error, not Norton's Antivirus or some such- is:

There is a problem with this website's security certificate.
The security certificate presented by this website was not issued by a trusted certificate authority.

Security certificate problems may indicate an attempt to fool you or intercept any data you send to the server.

We recommend that you close this webpage and do not continue to this website.

Click here to close this webpage.
Continue to this website (not recommended).
More information
  • If you arrived at this page by clicking a link, check the website address in the address bar to be sure that it is the address you were expecting.
  • If you choose to ignore this error and continue, do not enter private information into the website.

For more information, see "Certificate Errors" in Internet Explorer Help.

T

TECK

You see the More information part? Click on that and let me know what it says.
In the same time, you could download the SP3 package and install it on your computer, or simply do a Windows Update (it will show the Service Pack 3 download). Then you will be able to install Chrome without issues.

ttystikk

ttystikk

You see the More information part? Click on that and let me know what it says.
In the same time, you could download the SP3 package and install it on your computer, or simply do a Windows Update (it will show the Service Pack 3 download). Then you will be able to install Chrome without issues.

Here you go, another copy n paste (U R L =

Edited by TECK to remove duplicate content.

ttystikk

ttystikk

As I said, this is not a fatal error, I can still ignore it and navigate normally.

ttystikk

ttystikk

I did- and you deleted my post above so I can't point out what it said. The second post was not a duplicate of the first; you just glanced and assumed it was. Wish you wouldn't have done that...

ttystikk

ttystikk

In the future, kindly refrain from the urge to edit my postings without asking me first.

T

TECK

I'm not asking you to post a generic message, please read what I asked. What I'm interested to find is the detailed information about the certificate error, not a generic IE message that tells me nothing. From what I know, in IE a red bar is shown and you should see a Certicate Error. When you click on it, it will tell you the actual error that occurs on View Certificates:

IMG 17072012 145516

Also, as per forums rules, forum staff is allowed to delete/edit post contents, if they find it necessary: We reserve the rights to remove or modify any Content posted for any reason without explanation.

ttystikk

ttystikk

I can't do a screen shot, but I can type out what it says, word for word;

Untrusted Certificate

The security certificate presented by this website was not issued by a trusted certificate authority.

This problem might indicate n attempt to fool you orintercept any data you send to the server.

we recommend that you close this webpage.

T

TECK

Thanks, but this is another generic message that tells me nothing. If you click on View Certificates, what does it say? You should see something like that:

IMG 17072012 154730

Google how to take screenshots in XP, there are many free programs. :)
What IE version you use? Go to Windows Update and see if SP3 and IE are available for update. I presume you already cleared the browser cache and all stored certificates?

Try this for certificate: Internet Options > Certificates
Then delete any certificate you see listed there.

ttystikk

ttystikk

'Certificate issued by; Starfield Secure Certification Authority'

Error message; 'This certificate cannot be verified up to a trusted verification authority'

I took your advice and deleted all the certificates- and that made my computer go freakin' haywire; if gmail isn't a trusted website, then nothing is, lol.

T

TECK

Not to worry, they will be added again as soon as you use that site. I think something got corrupted related to the cert during the DDos. Once you visit the site, the cert will be added without issues. :)

Let me know if that solved the issue.

T

TECK

Marking this thread as Solved, since there is no feedback received.

ttystikk

ttystikk

Far from solved, I'm afraid, at least on my end. Now I have certificate issues everywhere! Even Gmail, subversive influences that they are, are now flunking my certificate test, and no reload I can find anywhere helps.

T

TECK

Did you managed to install Windows Service Pack 3 and Chrome? All your issues will be gone...

ttystikk

ttystikk

stuck in the tech. slow lane here; still trying to find a cheap way to save all the data on the machine before we wipe it down and install a new OS.

T

TECK

Well, look at Amazon and see what portable drive they have.
For example, this one is a 320GB portable model (no power needed) for $50. :)

Personally, I would not spend more than $50 for a disk... but that is me.
The portable models are great because they are small and don't require a wire for electricity.

Top Bottom