Changing 12/12 cycle from day to night?

• Thread starter still
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

still

Hi everyone will i create dramas for myself hermis etc if i swith my 12/12 cycle by 12 hours
reason being i have my lights on during the day and it is staring to get to hot during the dayi would like to switch lights on at night time
i am going away for 2 weeks so cant keep an i on things they are 4 weeks in

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Leave the lights for a minimum of 12 hrs (in other words, the plants require 12hrs dark to prevent re-vegging) before they go onto their new schedule and everything will be fine. Just make ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that the new time is set correctly and working before you leave.

So, let's say you have your girls lit from 10am-10pm right now, and you want to switch that to 10pm-10am. Just leave the lights OFF until the 10pm start time, which would be a 24hr period, nothing that will cause harm, much delay or hermaphrodites.

S

Sea Of Green

Hi everyone will i create dramas for myself hermis etc if i swith my 12/12 cycle by 12 hours
reason being i have my lights on during the day and it is staring to get to hot during the dayi would like to switch lights on at night time
i am going away for 2 weeks so cant keep an i on things they are 4 weeks in

What I would do is this. The next time the lights switch off for 12 hours, tonight, unplug the timer. Then, at some point(within 12 hours) after when the timer was supposed to switch on 12 hours later, tomorrow morning, reset the timer to the new nighttime on/daytime off schedule. Plug the timer in, plug your lights in(lights won't come on until nighttime on set time), and you're good to go. This will give your plants a 24 hour dark cycle and move the old schedule ahead by 12 hours to nighttime on/daytime off, thus achieving your goal.

The reason that I would do it like that is because I've already done it that way many times, and it seems to be totally safe/effectively harmless. It doesn't seem to cause any noticeable ill effects. Plants I've done it with keep right on going like it never happened. Even plants that I've had to let sit in the dark for a couple days during their flowering period ended up coming out alright in the end.

The only other way would be to give them 24 hours of light. Which is definitely not recommended during flowering, for strains that are photoperiod flowering.

symbiote420

symbiote420

Yea, I keep my lights on at night whether it's summer or winter, seamaiden beat me to it but she's right, just keep the lights off till the new time. I never had anything negative happen either.

S

still

Thanks for the replies they are going to save me a lot of worryingover thenext 2 weeks on my way up to un plug lights now

RedDirtRay

RedDirtRay

Kool, just what I was looking for. Was wondering if there will be any ill effects on my plants if I do this. Lights been on for about 20 minutes now since 10am. Electric company sticks it to us here in Oklahoma during the summer months, called peak hours. From like 2pm to 7pm. So I am going to switch the timer to 10pm on to 10am off. Thanks people.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Sorry for the late reply. There is no problem in switching to the 12/12 with the light's on during the evening. I have switched them several times in the last few decades and what I have found is that the best way for me was to extend your dark hours for 3 hours over four nights, or just do it all at once. If you give it an extended 12 hours of dark, for a total of 24 hours of dark, the plant will stretch a little, but 1 night of extra dark won't screw anything up. The same goes for going with an extended daylight period. 24 hours of light won't cause them to re-veg, but you don't want to do it for more than one day. Either process should work without causing issues. The 3 or 6 hour extended darkness is a somewhat better choice since it doesn't provide as much an interruption in the dark period, which is necessary to avoid re-vegging.

Top Bottom