Changing Lighting

• Thread starter anthony6969
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
A

anthony6969

ok my HPS should be here tomore is it ok just to change from cfl to hps or is there anythings i should watch out for apart from scortching the plants new growth

H

hererisssh

Premium Member
Supporter
Changing to HPS will be fine. Just make sure to introduce it at 24 inches above the plants to begin with and move it closer over the next 5-7 days depending on how the plants react. You should be able to get a 250 pretty close over time with a steady fan blowing on the plants.

C

cell

Great to see your getting your babies on track, just wait til they react to that hps! :clapping

With my 400mh, 2.5ft if the nearest I can get to my babies with no problems. That 250 should do you wonders even closer. When flowering time comes I add an additional 400hps, but then height goes up to 4ft nearest bc it can get pretty warm. :smoke

H

hererisssh

Premium Member
Supporter
Closer you can get it without burning the denser/larger those buds will be. Once you get the HPS hang it with something you can adjust easily. If they're being lit with CFL's now the HPS will be a shock for them. Start like cell said, 2.5 feet away from the tops of the plants and slowly work the light down over the first week to the right point.

What's the right point? As close as possible. Once the light has fired it will take 5 minutes to get up to full light strength, wait 30 minutes and you'll have a good sense of the heat it throws. Put your hand (palm down) under the light and feel how hot it is at different distances from the light. This is the same heat your plants will feel, so if you hand says too hot your plants will react accordingly.

cell: Hood design plays a big part in that. I keep my 400hps 12inches away from all strains except some heavy sativas that foxtail with the light close. My hood has removable flanges for air cooling and I have 4" flexible ducting running to a 4"-> 6" adapter then to a 6" inline duct fan. That reflector was part of the package. Ducting, adapter, and fan fan sold separately. ;)

C

cell

What's the right point? As close as possible. Once the light has fired it will take 5 minutes to get up to full light strength, wait 30 minutes and you'll have a good sense of the heat it throws. Put your hand (palm down) under the light and feel how hot it is at different distances from the light. This is the same heat your plants will feel, so if you hand says too hot your plants will react accordingly.
This is the technique. I've used it, many others have. Allow your hand to feel the warmth for a short time, determine your height you want the plants to feel that warmth because they're the ones baking under this light for nearly 24/7.

cell: Hood design plays a big part in that. I keep my 400hps 12inches away from all strains except some heavy sativas that foxtail with the light close. My hood has removable flanges for air cooling and I have 4" flexible ducting running to a 4"-> 6" adapter then to a 6" inline duct fan. That reflector was part of the package. Ducting, adapter, and fan fan sold separately. ;)
I'm fortunate to have enough special area above my lamps for heat dissipation. I do not have the ventilation ducts on my fans, but I can see them being very useful had I really needed them.
When bloom arrives, wattage goes to 800. It becomes very hot. My height is kept low enough for absolutely no burns. Dimensions play a factor too.. spectrum waste is a no no. Your construct should be built to reflect your spectrum for maximum usage, as well as absolutely no light entry when the time comes.

T

thc4sim

i can get my 600 down to about 10-12" with no problems,
its currently about 12"...
i use one of those heat shield things so i dont get a hot spot in the center..

A

anthony6969

sounds good now all i gotta do is buy some wood when a get paid next week an build a grow box for them then its into flower

Top Bottom