Changing nute brand

• Thread starter minster
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

minster

Hi all,

Is it possible to change brand of nutes during a grow - at veg stage?

Thanks for any opinions on this

Minster

G

Green Supreme

Yes this can be done. Please know that most any nutrient line can work satisfactorily, if the person takes the time to learn it. Most folks use product and don't like the finished product, so they move on. This happens over and over with no success. Easy to blame the nutes instead of taking responsibility for how they used the products. Good luck. Peace GS

BakedReality

BakedReality

Bean Poppin..
Supporter
Yes this can be done. Please know that most any nutrient line can work satisfactorily, if the person takes the time to learn it. Most folks use product and don't like the finished product, so they move on. This happens over and over with no success. Easy to blame the nutes instead of taking responsibility for how they used the products. Good luck. Peace GS

I agree...you should take the time to learn what you're running.

What kind of medium are you using?...as this could change opinion

JPLord01

JPLord01

What is it that you are using? Can you give me the NPK #s What is it about the stuff that you are using that you do not like?

M

minster

thanks all. I am using a good brand of nutes - Canna Coco and I am sure from the grows around that their capability far outweighs my newbie skill - np there. I am also using canna coco pro plus which I think is great.

My challenge is that I live in a hard water area - 0.8 out the tap. I have an RO machine that produces about 10 litres a time, then takes an hour or so to fill up.

Initially because of the hard water I started to use the RO with the canna nutes. I quickly run into mg/ca/ and phosphorus deficiencies but have managed to overcome them with help from the community - but I still seem to walk a fine line of balanced needs :) I have some nice looking ladies now and a few rough ones still. However, Cal mag is hard to source for me in the UK, I only know one place and that charges 20 GBP for 1 litre of Bloom Cal mag, I find this quite expensive to run alongside the Canna range. Also, now the plants are in bigger pots I am simply not at home enough to keep draining the RO.

I have started to mix RO with the tap water in a 100 ltr tub to get the starting EC to an acceptable level, around 0.4 - seems to be working OK but with work commitments, it is still alot of time as the RO production is quite slow and with the extra money I need to spend on Cal Mag with only one known supplier to me......I was considering how to make things easier.

Someone told me about a UK company called Plant Magic plus that has COCO nutes for UK hard water - I was wondering if that would help me out a bit and keep things lower maintainence, simple and cost effective..

Oh, and I handwater, which is the method I would like to keep at the mo as I am a newbie......feel more connected to whats going on....purely emotional

badhalf

badhalf

Thats a good point. im using h&g and my friend doesnt like to use it during veg but loves during bloom. im using it for both but then again im a rookie just getting my feet wet.

Widowmaker

Widowmaker

what problems did you have using the .8 tap water and canna nutes.

M

minster

what problems did you have using the .8 tap water and canna nutes.

thats a good question. I dont think to be fair to Canna I can point the finger at them. I grow from seed so 0.8 is a concern for me.

The problems I had at the start of the grow were probably due to many reasons as I am a newbie, self inflicted - I really couldnt say it was the 0.8 EC tap water. However, they did improve when switching to RO and adding Cal Mag.

It does concern me that I have a 0.8 EC of 'unknown' material I am pushing into my girls - seems high to me.

My original question was more aimed at making the management of my grow easier - not trying to resolve grow problems. I must continue to work while I can, I prefer to handwater while its possible and if there are nutes that have taken account of my local hardwater then its worth a consideration I believe.

If I can change mid grow and need more nutes anyway - it seemed a valid option to me to improve my growing style/mechanics.

If anyone has some feedback on changing nutes mid veg or using plant magic plus, I would be grateful to hear your thoughts

S

strictlyOG

yes you are able to switch i was using flora nova series with Advanced Nutrirents additives. as soon as my bottle of flora ran out i flushed for a week and switched my whole line to Advanced Nutrients. i was in week 3 or so of flower. and almost instantly i noticed that the choice i made was best for my ladies. worked out very well for me.

M

minster

yes you are able to switch i was using flora nova series with Advanced Nutrirents additives. as soon as my bottle of flora ran out i flushed for a week and switched my whole line to Advanced Nutrients. i was in week 3 or so of flower. and almost instantly i noticed that the choice i made was best for my ladies. worked out very well for me.

thanks OG, what did you flush with?

true grit

true grit

Yes you can switch if desired. I like to use a good flush agent if switching mid bloom or something. I also switched from canna to AN mid bloom with a 2 day Final Phase rinse in between...plants looked better than i could have hoped for after.

Stick with RO, don't overload calmag... i will continue to say this over and over- calmag is not the issue most the time. its the knee jerk response. often out of range nutrients and excess calmag are issues. I use RO, i don't exceed 3ml/g in veg with Calplex (calplex because you dont need the Mg) and don't go over 5-6ml/g in bloom even with the "calmag hogs"...

mastacheeser

mastacheeser

ive run 10ml/g of botanicare cal mg forever but i wont touch anything besides kushes
(assuming were talking about ro and a nute line that doesnt add calmg already)
my tahoes are amazing everytime
with anything besides i run 5-7
i do taper down later in flower
alot of people prefer not to mess with cal mg at all and run the house and garden line

mastacheeser

mastacheeser

also watch you ph close
alot of defencies come from bad ph

tortuga1503

tortuga1503

I run H&G w/ro and still have to add calmag. Some OG`s are huge calmag eaters. I have some new OG`s in my current run. I was using 5ml a gal and wasn`t enough.

M

minster

thanks for the inputs all, I have had a good flush, switched over and will update in a week or so with the results; good , bad or indifferent.

I can already say that its a lot less effort and time waiting for and luggin the RO around. Also I still dont understand why there is such a small choice of CalMag in the UK -must be loads of people on the RO.

Bud Spleefman

Bud Spleefman

Premium Member
Supporter
KISS is my moto

lucas formula
6m & 9b | ml/gal

done.

That's the HEAD formula, just for clarification, but it's what I use, it works really well. I top feed cal/mag at day 15, and again at day 30, and I have no cal/mag problems. The only thing in my coco res is GH Micro and GH Bloom, keeps it nice and clean. That Head formula has some Cal/Mag in IT.

LUCAS formula, which is OKAY for regular hydro or DWC is 8 micro/16 bloom.

iscrog4food

iscrog4food

You could also just drill into your ro res and put a drain fitting with a hose running to your 100 litre res. that way you wont have to empty it every time and you would know exactly what is going into the plants. you alreaddy spent the money on the ro why not use it.

As far as the cal mag there has to be someone who supplies it out there, have you checked ebay? I dunno if they even have it in UK but im sure there is an american supplier that will ship it discreetly.

reguarding deficiencies: 9/10 cases are a problem with ph. Most lines have the proper amounts of all traces in them, but check the lable to be sure. Also remember that temp of the nutes will change the PH (in Colorado I have seen this issue a lot when people leave their res in the garage and wonder why they get lockout.) Another thing is sometimes you get nutrient antaganism if you use too much of one nute in ratio to others (same as with trace elements).

Goodluck and happy blooming.

M

minster

You could also just drill into your ro res and put a drain fitting with a hose running to your 100 litre res. that way you wont have to empty it every time and you would know exactly what is going into the plants. you alreaddy spent the money on the ro why not use it.

As far as the cal mag there has to be someone who supplies it out there, have you checked ebay? I dunno if they even have it in UK but im sure there is an american supplier that will ship it discreetly.

reguarding deficiencies: 9/10 cases are a problem with ph. Most lines have the proper amounts of all traces in them, but check the lable to be sure. Also remember that temp of the nutes will change the PH (in Colorado I have seen this issue a lot when people leave their res in the garage and wonder why they get lockout.) Another thing is sometimes you get nutrient antaganism if you use too much of one nute in ratio to others (same as with trace elements).

Goodluck and happy blooming.

thanks mate, I agree re diverting off the RO. I do have a solution for diverting the RO water - I run a splitter off the tap feed and then just a simple on/off valve (blue line in pic) - got both parts off ebay for a couple of quid - nice and easy. Its great for filling containers but it not practical to run the hose from the RO machine to where my res is located.

IMG 0550

I hear ya re the Cal mag, you'd think it would be in every shop here- its not ! a well known shop does sell the Aussie Bloom Calmag which seems quality but they take the p1ss with prices compared to what you guys pay in the U.S (its here in case any UK bods want it) - other than that, its ridiculously hard to find

Type calmag into the UK ebay and it mostly supplements for people - not sure if these can be used. There is a US supplier that offers a product but it doesnt look right to me - its here

as a newbie I am learning all the time and greatly appreciate your thoughts there iscrog - cheers mate.....tonights other little lesson was that if I leave an air stone running in my res of tap water (thought it would help disspate chlorine) then it sends my PH through the roof.....empty and refill for me and hope it gets rid of enough overnight for the morning feed.....

Top Bottom